SSM Greyhounds Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Rehkopf and Schmidt are players who were fully expected to play in the OHL at the time of the draft. Mock drafts at the time had them going around the spots they were taken and didn't cite any serious signability concerns. Good picks, sure, but completely irrelevant to this conversation.

Brzustewicz is a player who clearly wouldn't sign with Barrie and perhaps other cities. Mike McKenzie sold him on their program and got him to commit. That's what I mean by recruitment. It's different than just a good draft pick who was going to play in the OHL all along, at least in my opinion. That's why I'm not citing guys like O'Rourke and BMB.
Believe what you want. Those players may have been expected by Joe Birch to play in the OHL, but no other team was willing to risk picking them before the rangers.

I just looked over past mocks and rankings. That mock draft had Repkopf at 7 with the caveat of him already USHL signed. I’ve seen a ranking of 3, most believed 4-5. I saw Schmidt at 11 among ON & US born combined, but dropped due playing USNDT.
The Virgilio rank was not much different, perhaps a bit lower than Repkopf.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Believe what you want. Those players may have been expected by Joe Birch to play in the OHL, but no other team was willing to risk picking them before the rangers.

I just looked over past mocks and rankings. That mock draft had Repkopf at 7 with the caveat of him already USHL signed. I’ve seen a ranking of 3, most believed 4-5. I saw Schmidt at 11 among ON & US born combined, but dropped due playing USNDT.
The Virgilio rank was not much different, perhaps a bit lower than Repkopf.
I believe the experts who watch these kids play more than I believe your unfounded musings, where you have spelled the same player's name incorrectly in 3 different ways.

Prospect Pipeline had Schmidt 22nd and didn't cite any major concerns about his signability. Surprise surprise, he went in the second round. OHLProspects also had him in a similar range and didn't cite any major concerns. Teams knew he was coming to the OHL and Kitchener made a nice pick.

Information on the 2021 draft is pretty much non-existent due to the pandemic and wasn't really accurate because they didn't play much or at all. This, however, was said about Rehkopf on OHL Prospects, indicating he did not drop due to signability concerns in one expert's opinion.

"Carson is tendered with Muskegon; however, I am confident he will end up in the OHL"

Nobody is really going to know and it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that a first round forced his way to one team with absolutely no evidence to back it up. Sure it happens, but you are just making it up out of thin air.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I agree but the success is showing past that now.

is it? how so?

I believe the experts who watch these kids play more than I believe your unfounded musings, where you have spelled the same player's name incorrectly in 3 different ways.

Prospect Pipeline had Schmidt 22nd and didn't cite any major concerns about his signability. Surprise surprise, he went in the second round. OHLProspects also had him in a similar range and didn't cite any major concerns. Teams knew he was coming to the OHL and Kitchener made a nice pick.

Information on the 2021 draft is pretty much non-existent due to the pandemic and wasn't really accurate because they didn't play much or at all. This, however, was said about Rehkopf on OHL Prospects, indicating he did not drop due to signability concerns in one expert's opinion.

"Carson is tendered with Muskegon; however, I am confident he will end up in the OHL"

Nobody is really going to know and it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that a first round forced his way to one team with absolutely no evidence to back it up. Sure it happens, but you are just making it up out of thin air.

prospect pipeline is a bunch of kids who have no scouting background, dont use them as a barometer, look at their rankings.

Reactions: aresknights

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Idk, I’m pretty sure that I viewed 3 draft rankings and a mock for 2021 in 10 minutes, though I’m sure they are not nearly as reputable as prospect pipeline that had no final rank or mock this year, or that top 60 we referenced that leads with Virgilio as a top 10 and has Christopher Brown at #57.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

i was scouting with a team back then. schmidt was a top 10 pick, easy. he was probably 6th on my list. i worked in the ohl scouting for 20 years and have way more history and success then prospect pipeline.

a tender in itself is a red flag for signability. it means at that moment is intention is to not play in the ohl.

Reactions: HF92

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Prospect Pipeline rankings of Schmidt by month in his OHL draft year:

Sept: 3rd
Oct: 4th
Nov: 4th
Dec: 4th
Jan: 7th
Feb: 8th
End of season: 20th

That's because of signability lol. Was top 8 the entire season then dropped a lot at the very end... Not a coincidence.

This is the Prospect Pipeline mock draft (that you reference) and it literally says he's committed to BU but they predicted London would take him anyways. Again, you were 100% wrong on something you easily could have looked up and would've taken you 15 seconds. I mean you literally said "Prospect Pipeline didn't cite any concerns about his signability" Their first line is that he's committed to BU.... LOL. You have to be better

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 3

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Caufield? Lmao

Let's focus on Noel Nordh.

The ship for Rutger and Lutz have sailed. Albeit, a nice piece for this season their additions do virtually nothing.

Massive signing in Virgilio. Huge win, biggest win for Raftis yet even in my opinion.

I expected Lutz to be here for camp honestly but looks like he's on the Red Bull roster and they play on the 28th...( although we've seen this before in the league )

easy Pete. it's one guy of many.
that said, it's huge and very exciting for the future.
I just love to bug you. I do it with good intentions lol.

Prospect Pipeline rankings of Schmidt by month in his OHL draft year:

Sept: 3rd
Oct: 4th
Nov: 4th
Dec: 4th
Jan: 7th
Feb: 8th
End of season: 20th

That's because of signability lol. Was top 8 the entire season then dropped a lot at the very end... Not a coincidence.

This is the Prospect Pipeline mock draft (that you reference) and it literally says he's committed to BU but they predicted London would take him anyways. Again, you were 100% wrong on something you easily could have looked up and would've taken you 15 seconds. I mean you literally said "Prospect Pipeline didn't cite any concerns about his signability" Their first line is that he's committed to BU.... LOL. You have to be better

Agreed, accurate, correct, yes.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
i was scouting with a team back then. schmidt was a top 10 pick, easy. he was probably 6th on my list. i worked in the ohl scouting for 20 years and have way more history and success then prospect pipeline.

a tender in itself is a red flag for signability. it means at that moment is intention is to not play in the ohl.
Or..at the very least means he wants to be drafted by someone specific IN the ohl and wants to cover his butt in case not, but yes exactly

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I don't understand how their additions do virtually nothing lol

Because you're going to get one year out of them and we aren't a championship team...with or without them this year..

You're getting 1 year out of both before they turn pro. Also it would just make more sense to focus on pieces for the next 3 to 4 years not for this season. I'm sure Lukenda and company are focused on bidding for the memorial cup and trying to build a team that can be competitive that year. Tough task cause I know Niagara , Oshawa and a few other teams have also been setting that up. It's a year I'd rather see players who will be part of a run get icetime, not someone who will be here for a year.

I just personally don't see this year as a year the team is using to win championships.

Noah Nordh would be more useful than Lutz..

Is this just opinion, or insider information?

Actually it's facts as Lutz is on the newly updated 22/23 Red Bull roster and will play on the 28th.

Rutger has shared multiple things about key game dates for Michigan on his socials, a clear indicator he's not coming.

I see someone is getting more cranky with age.....
n_88.png

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Having McGroarty or Lutz come this year has nothing to do with winning a championship this year. We all know that's not happening. Having them come helps set up the rest of the roster for success this year. There is plenty of ice time for the rest of our players even if these guys report with all the roster turnover. You need to put players in positions that will challenge them but that they are ultimate able to succeed in. If we were to just throw all our young players on the top line, that's not really a model for good development.

You may be right that they are not at camp. It was always a long shot. But make no mistake that having them come would be good for the team and good for the development of the rest of our players. And you never know where these players will end up playing in subsequent years. There is always a chance that they could come back.

Just sounds a lot like sour grapes to me.

Reactions: Bearness

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Having McGroarty or Lutz come this year has nothing to do with winning a championship this year. We all know that's not happening. Having them come helps set up the rest of the roster for success this year. There is plenty of ice time for the rest of our players even if these guys report with all the roster turnover. You need to put players in positions that will challenge them but that they are ultimate able to succeed in. If we were to just throw all our young players on the top line, that's not really a model for good development.

You may be right that they are not at camp. It was always a long shot. But make no mistake that having them come would be good for the team and good for the development of the rest of our players. And you never know where these players will end up playing in subsequent years. There is always a chance that they could come back.

Just sounds a lot like sour grapes to me.

No no, you read my posts in the context that you read them in. Don't put that on me that everytime I comment you pipe up or make some snarky remark. I don't even think I'm the only one who's said this or noticed it too lol.

Its pointless for them to come here for one year to help develop the other players on our team, and if thats the pitch Raftis gave them then yeah I wouldnt be coming either lol I understand what you're saying about development of the other kids but that's a non factor if they're taking up a major chunk of those said players icetime..which would be guaranteed in order to come

0 sour grapes here, I have no investment in the team. :)

For what it's worth I don't even want Rutger to come to the Soo. I want to see the players who WANT to be here play hockey and develop into a championship team..

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Fair enough. I also doubt any of Lutz, McGroarty, Muszelik are coming. But if they did it would be good news and it would make the team better.

If you don't like snarky replies then you should refrain from snarky posts.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Lukenda and company are focused on bidding for the memorial cup and trying to build a team that can be competitive that year. Tough task cause I know Niagara , Oshawa and a few other teams have also been setting that up.
If we are going to bid for a mem cup I would have liked to see us pad the cupboards (I KNOW I SOUND LIKE A BROKEN RECORD). Being successful at the host bid but not being able to ice a team as good (or better) as the 2008 team would be a big fail for the organization unless they're counting on entering the tournament through the back door and being well rested lol.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Fair enough. I also doubt any of Lutz, McGroarty, Muszelik are coming. But if they did it would be good news and it would make the team better.

If you don't like snarky replies then you should refrain from snarky posts.

Fair enough. I think we just refrain from snarky period, it's simply just called passion lol passionate fans! Great passionate fans haha 🤙

And I do agree, all 3 aren't coming.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Also, to DWI Dale's point, if McGroarty et al wanted to come but didn't want to play here, we could deal his rights. At least we would put something away for a rainy day. Having these guys wanting to report is always better than them not coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad