SSM Greyhounds Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So essentially you see us lining up as the worst team in the Conference. That's a real shocker. I don't think Flint is ahead of us at all in the 03-05 range, but time will tell.

It's also an odd time to slam Raftis' recruitment skills after getting perhaps the biggest coup of the draft so far and signals that more may be coming.
SSM got Virgilio, NB Ertel, Kitchener Repkopph, Brontosaurus?, Guelph Pasturov, ‘67s Boucher, …teams get unexpected players. It is great when it happens.
It’s odd that you are offended by a post doubting Raftis will have any more luck with the difficult to recruit than Birch, Burnett, Hunter and that the hounds are positioned on the lower end of current plus future assets; and interpret that as slamming Raftis’ recruitment skills.
Flint is well ahead of the Soo now and near future.
Do you believe Flint’s path from bottom to top is not at all similar to SSM roughly a decade ago?

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
SSM got Virgilio, NB Ertel, Kitchener Repkopph, Brontosaurus?, Guelph Pasturov, ‘67s Boucher, …teams get unexpected players. It is great when it happens.
It’s odd that you are offended by a post doubting Raftis will have any more luck with the difficult to recruit than Birch, Burnett, Hunter and that the hounds are positioned on the lower end of current plus future assets; and interpret that as slamming Raftis’ recruitment skills.
Flint is well ahead of the Soo now and near future.
Do you believe Flint’s path from bottom to top is not at all similar to SSM roughly a decade ago?
These are strange, somewhat irrelevant examples.

If you mean Carson Rehkopf, he was drafted in the first round and was expected to sign at that time. A good pick for sure, but less a recruitment triumph than just good scouting. I don't even know who Brontosaurus is.

Pastujov was a certainly a nice pickup, but the pick was made over 3 years ago. Ertel wasn't seen as a top 10 player like Virgilio and wasn't ready for the OHL last year, as he stated himself. Many expected him to come to North Bay due to his unique family ties. I remember saying that at the time of the pick.

I made no interpretation of your statement. You said that "(several teams) will have better luck with recruitment than the Greyhounds". That isn't always the case and it certainly hasn't been the case this offseason. In fact, if Raftis gets two of Lutz, Virgilio, and McGroarty, it would he hard to argue that he didn't have the best offseason of all OHL GM's. None of those players were expected to even consider the OHL as recently as the end of last season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
These are strange, somewhat irrelevant examples.

If you mean Carson Rehkopf, he was drafted in the first round and was expected to sign at that time. A good pick for sure, but less a recruitment triumph than just good scouting. I don't even know who Brontosaurus is.

Pastujov was a certainly a nice pickup, but the pick was made over 3 years ago. Ertel wasn't seen as a top 10 player like Virgilio and wasn't ready for the OHL last year, as he stated himself. Many expected him to come to North Bay due to his unique family ties. I remember saying that at the time of the pick.

I made no interpretation of your statement. You said that "(several teams) will have better luck with recruitment than the Greyhounds". That isn't always the case and it certainly hasn't been the case this offseason. In fact, if Raftis gets two of Lutz, Virgilio, and McGroarty, it would he hard to argue that he didn't have the best offseason of all OHL GM's. None of those players were expected to even consider the OHL as recently as the end of last season.
Actually, I stated three teams will have more luck with the difficult to recruit; and, pretty much every team in the west other than OS can have as much or more success than the hounds signing players with many good options.

[Brzustewicz (should have taken the time to know his name)]. Repkoph could have been the #4 pick had he not signed in USHL. Hage was the consensus #3. Right now, there is no team more confident in its ability to recruit than the rangers.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Actually, I stated three teams will have more luck with the difficult to recruit; and, pretty much every team in the west other than OS can have as much or more success than the hounds signing players with many good options.
Brzustewiec
Yes, I know that's what you said. It's just an odd time to make that statement right after the single most unexpected signing of the 2022 priority selection went to the Soo.

Things are always changing in the OHL and you could end up being right, but there's little question that you have it wrong to this point. I look forward to seeing how it plays out. I really think one of Lutz or McGroarty commits and this will be seen as a positive season rather than a failure.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yes, I know that's what you said. It's just an odd time to make that statement right after the single most unexpected signing of the 2022 priority selection went to the Soo.

Things are always changing in the OHL and you could end up being right, but there's little question that you have it wrong to this point. I look forward to seeing how it plays out. I really think one of Lutz or McGroarty commits and this will be seen as a positive season rather than a failure.
The odd timing would be on you. I made the statement about hounds having average ability to recruit among western conference teams after you took offence to suggestion that the hounds have some catching up to do in the west.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The odd timing would be on you. I made the statement about hounds having average ability to recruit among western conference teams after you took offence to suggestion that the hounds have some catching up to do in the west.
I'm not partaking in a discussion where you lie about what was said or infer that someone is 'offended' because you made incorrect statements, attempting to turn a fact based hockey discussion into an emotional one.

If you want to continue to discuss the merits of team's abilities to attract players then I will gladly do so.

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
Here is my roster if no one else signes

LWCRWLDRDG
SavardMcConnell-BarkerMignosaBrzustowskiKudryavtsevTynan
MontroyAllardWatsonCarlisleThompsonIvanov
AnselminiD'IntinoCloutierVirgilioGibsonMiller
ClattenburgBrownHookeyTomsScott
CorteKostovMcConnell-Barker

Reactions: staubitz

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Here is my roster if no one else signes

LWCRWLDRDG
SavardMcConnell-BarkerMignosaBrzustowskiKudryavtsevTynan
MontroyAllardWatsonCarlisleThompsonIvanov
AnselminiD'IntinoCloutierVirgilioGibsonMiller
ClattenburgBrownHookeyTomsScott
CorteKostovMcConnell-Barker
I like the goaltending. Tynan should be a stabilizing force in front of an extremely young roster. There also appears to be a plan in place to ease Miller into a starting role in 23-24.

I think the defense is going to be better than people expect. Thompson is a smart and cheap addition as a very strong defender. Kudryavtsev is an obvious candidate to take a big step forward. I also believe that Carlisle has a ton of potential that he is going to show this season. I was extremely impressed by his play as a rookie.

The forward corps is clearly the Achilles heel of this team. It lacks in both high end talent and depth. There's going to be quite a lot of pressure on BMB and Savard to carry the scoring load. Adding McGroarty and Lutz/Nordh would be huge, but we're still thin even with them. We'll need youngsters like Mignosa, Cloutier, and Brown to show top 6 ability because I expect the defense to be championship calibre for a 2-3 year window starting after this season.

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
if they all show up

LWCRWLDRDG
LutzMcGroartyMignosaBrzustowskiKudryavtsevMuszelik
SavardMcConnell-BarkerWatsonCarlisleThompsonIvanov
MontroyAllardCloutierVirgilioGibsonMiller
AnselminiBrownHookeyTomsScott/ Fellinger
Clattenburg
Kostov
McConnell-Barker
Corte

HockeyFan000

Dec 10, 2021
Mignosa and cloutier have played top 6 minutes this year and have both proved that they can be full time there this season.

Would be a pretty exciting squad.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm not partaking in a discussion where you lie about what was said or infer that someone is 'offended' because you made incorrect statements, attempting to turn a fact based hockey discussion into an emotional one.

If you want to continue to discuss the merits of team's abilities to attract players then I will gladly do so.
Geez man, you turned this particular thread of posts into the hounds can/will recruit more than any other team and have had the best off-season. I just don’t believe it.
I originally made posts something like great signing, that puts the SSM draft of the ‘06 among the top 5; and, the hounds still have some catching up to do if expecting to contend in the near future. In no way was that meant to drag you into a debate of greater sphere of influence between Raftis and imo the current man; Joe Birch.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Geez man, you turned this particular thread of posts into the hounds can/will recruit more than any other team and have had the best off-season. I just don’t believe it.
I originally made posts something like great signing, that puts the SSM draft of the ‘06 among the top 5; and, the hounds still have some catching up to do if expecting to contend in the near future. In no way was that meant to drag you into a debate of greater sphere of influence between Raftis and imo the current man; Joe Birch.

What's with you and hyperbole? That isn't what you was said. You make it extremely difficult to respond by assigning false statements to others.

This Virgilio signing is a big deal. A player of that calibre is worth 5 or more high end picks to a team, as we last saw with the Will Cuylle trade in 2018. He was taken in the 4th round.

Above is a publication outlining Virgilio's talent level and college commitments, since I know your next move is to say he isn't a first round talent and/or was expected to report.

When is the last time a true top 10 player got taken in the later rounds and committed for his age 16 season? I can't even think of one, but I'm sure @Generalsupdates might know. He's got good knowledge of that kind of thing.

You mentioned Sasha Pastujov who came 2 years later, but was definitely in the same 5-10 range. The Knights and Greyhounds have taken shots on Frank Nazar and Rutger McGroarty respectively in recent years, but neither has come. Christian Dvorak is the closest comp I can come up with way back in 2012. Either way, it's pretty rare and a real coup for the team.

I'm optimistic that another big fish like Lutz or McGroarty may be coming. We've seen many successes before and also failures like Rasmus Kupari. You can call me out for that statement if you wish and I accept that others may not share that view.

I just don't understand the huge amount of pessimism. Just on the last page you predicted that he would be the worst GM at recruitment in the conference, even after making the #1 recruitment coup of this season. He's proven to be well above average at acquiring talent again and again. Not the best, but certainly up there.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Nice. Great draft by SSM. For me, Virgilio signing makes their draft among the top 5 along with Saginaw, Oshawa, Barrie, and OS.
I posted this.

Top 10

Maybe top 5
I posted this.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Will need another very good draft and a big enough sell before getting back to contender status, I think.
You took offence to this; then, changed the direction of thread to Raftis the great recruiter. The hounds have been about average among western conference teams in terms of recruitment imo.

Reactions: DWI Dale

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I understand that Virgilio is a top talent. This isn't adding anything to the conversation.

"Guelph, Kitchener, London will have better luck with the USNTDP/NCAA players than SSM; Erie, Flint, Saginaw, Sarnia, Windsor might too."

"pretty much every team in the west other than OS can have as much or more success than the hounds signing players"

These comments, immediately after the team having an outstanding draft and making a massive signing, which you seem to understand, don't make any sense.

This is obviously what I was responding to. None of those teams are having better luck in this 'recruitment season' and most of them haven't in the past. It's not easy to make direct comparisons to other teams, but it's clear that this is a prime destination for top players, up with with London, Kitchener, Oshawa, Ottawa, etc. The team has the second best winning % in the league under Raftis for god sakes.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I understand that Virgilio is a top talent. This isn't adding anything to the conversation.

"Guelph, Kitchener, London will have better luck with the USNTDP/NCAA players than SSM; Erie, Flint, Saginaw, Sarnia, Windsor might too."

"pretty much every team in the west other than OS can have as much or more success than the hounds signing players"

These comments, immediately after the team having an outstanding draft and making a massive signing, which you seem to understand, don't make any sense.

This is obviously what I was responding to. None of those teams are having better luck in this 'recruitment season' and most of them haven't in the past. It's not easy to make direct comparisons to other teams, but it's clear that this is a prime destination for top players, up with with London, Kitchener, Oshawa, Ottawa, etc. The team has the second best winning % in the league under Raftis for god sakes.
All this because I posted the hounds have a bit of catching up to do before getting back to contender status :) I should have known better, but honestly did not set out to offend you

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
All this because I posted the hounds have a bit of catching up to do before getting back to contender status :) I should have known better, but honestly did not set out to offend you
That is not correct. I will post your statements that I disagree with once again, just to be clear.

You don't offend anyone by making unfounded statements and refusing to address them when someone responds with a fact based discussion. Who are these players that the other teams 9 in the conference are all having better luck with?

Bearness

Jun 9, 2021
if they all show up

LWCRWLDRDG
LutzMcGroartyMignosaBrzustowskiKudryavtsevMuszelik
SavardMcConnell-BarkerWatsonCarlisleThompsonIvanov
MontroyAllardCloutierVirgilioGibsonMiller
AnselminiBrownHookeyTomsScott/ Fellinger
Clattenburg
Kostov
McConnell-Barker
Corte
I don’t think I’d dismiss Halushak I think people forget with Covid how much of a beast he can be on Dee

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That is not correct. I will post your statements that I disagree with once again, just to be clear.

You don't offend anyone by making unfounded statements and refusing to address them when someone responds with a fact based discussion. Who are these players that the other teams 9 in the conference are all having better luck with?
might/can have/have had as much or more luck is not quite the same as all are having better luck
I will throw you a bone; the hounds were far and away the top recruiting team of the past week.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
might/can have/have had as much or more luck is not quite the same as all are having better luck
I will throw you a bone; the hounds were far and away the top recruiting team of the past week.
Let me quote for a third time, with the word bolded for effect.

"Guelph, Kitchener, London will have better luck with the USNTDP/NCAA players "

Who are these players better than Virgilio that the other teams will sign? I'm not saying you are right or wrong, I just want to hear actual names and facts. In the recent past, sometimes they were better and sometimes worse.

Recently, Kitchener hasn't been the top team that they once were at getting top talent to commit. Hunter Brzustewicz is the biggest win in several years. MM took some big swings and spent assets on guys like Cutter Gauthier, Ryan Fine, and Filip Mesar, so we'll have to see if any of them come. They tried and failed with George Fegaras last year. He would have been a big add.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Let me quote for a third time, with the word bolded for effect.

"Guelph, Kitchener, London will have better luck with the USNTDP/NCAA players "

Who are these players better than Virgilio that the other teams will sign? I'm not saying you are right or wrong, I just want to hear actual names and facts. In the recent past, sometimes they were better and sometimes worse.

Recently, Kitchener hasn't been the top team that they once were at getting top talent to commit. Hunter Brzustewicz is the biggest win in several years. MM took some big swings and spent assets on guys like Cutter Gauthier, Ryan Fine, and Filip Mesar, so we'll have to see if any of them come. They tried and failed with George Fegaras last year. He would have been a big add.
I would say Repkopf, Schmidt, Brzustewicz signings in past year far out weighs the recency bias of Virgilio signing.
What the Virgilio signing does accomplish, is more or less keep up to Saginaw and Flint for ‘06 born. The hounds are still years behind Flint imo; thus, SSM would benefit from a sell.

Reactions: DWI Dale

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
Cole Caufield could still be an OA this year in the OHL. Not including him??

there was an artlice in the local paper saying that those 3 plays could show up to camp this year

I would say Repkopf, Schmidt, Brzustewicz signings in past year far out weighs the recency bias of Virgilio signing.
What the Virgilio signing does accomplish, is more or less keep up to Saginaw and Flint for ‘06 born. The hounds are still years behind Flint imo; thus, SSM would benefit from a sell.
i would hope considering Saginaw just got a 15 year old 07 First overall

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

Rehkopf and Schmidt are players who were fully expected to play in the OHL at the time of the draft. Mock drafts at the time had them going around the spots they were taken and didn't cite any serious signability concerns. Good picks, sure, but completely irrelevant to this conversation.

Brzustewicz is a player who clearly wouldn't sign with Barrie and perhaps other cities. Mike McKenzie sold him on their program and got him to commit. That's what I mean by recruitment. It's different than just a good draft pick who was going to play in the OHL all along, at least in my opinion. That's why I'm not citing guys like O'Rourke and BMB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad