SSM Greyhounds 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Garlent worked out but boy oh boy was Paquette not worth the amount of picks we gave up. 1 3rd and 4 2NDS!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6470.jpeg
    IMG_6470.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 3

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Kudos to the Soo scouts... a 7th round pick now suiting up for Team Canada. Well done.

The Soo seem to be doing fine without him, routing NB 6-2 tonight. Wondering what to expect for Saturday. My kid is playing the intermission and lots of family will be in attendance. Guelph will have Buchinger back... if Gillespie starts our goaltending has been solid (our backup is at a tourney), missing some defense and generally short on offense, hopefully it's a good back and forth!

Reactions: BehindSooNet

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Kudos to the Soo scouts... a 7th round pick now suiting up for Team Canada. Well done.
I have no idea how he slipped into the 7th round. Even as a rookie 17 year old he was already impressing and was one of my favourite players to watch. Missing almost his entire 18 year old season to injury wasn't easy, but he hasn't missed a beat since getting back.

Chalk it up to the lack of scouting during covid maybe?

Reactions: 93MemCup and HF92

yacky

Jun 28, 2018
So two games in a row characterized by referee blunders? Must be something in the air up here. Embarrassing for the OHL:

the ohl seems to have taken this article off of their website. Wonder if they are protecting someone???

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
just curious who everybody thinks we will make available, and who other teams are going to come asking for? here's our 17 year old skaters + Martin. if we are going for it I assume at least 2 of these players will be shipped out.

Brady Martin
Christopher Brown
Matt Virgilio
Alex Kostov
Spencer Evans
BMB2
Tate Vader

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Other than Martin, Kostov might be the most important for us to keep from that crop. He kills penalties, mixes it up physically, and seems to be finding some offense too.

Reactions: dirty12

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Other than Martin, Kostov might be the most important for us to keep from that crop. He kills penalties, mixes it up physically, and seems to be finding some offense too.
once he grows into his size he could be a beast. but that might be precisely why other teams ask about him (after we shut down any talk about Martin) - ;)

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
just curious who everybody thinks we will make available, and who other teams are going to come asking for? here's our 17 year old skaters + Martin. if we are going for it I assume at least 2 of these players will be shipped out.

Brady Martin
Christopher Brown
Matt Virgilio
Alex Kostov
Spencer Evans
BMB2
Tate Vader
I'd keep Kostov as well.

I'd send Brown (assuming he'd go) and try to include Evans over virgilio but not sure that'd fly with the other team lol.

Martin i'd keep at all costs.

Virgilio i think is going to be a stud in the next few years. but i'd get over it if it took him to get a big fish.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
John Dean has been talking up the Hounds' depth quite a bit recently. Wonder if that means no 5th D & 3rd line forward are brought in at the deadline? Might only be one top line forward addition made?

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
John Dean has been talking up the Hounds' depth quite a bit recently. Wonder if that means no 5th D & 3rd line forward are brought in at the deadline? Might only be one top line forward addition made?

I hope not considering our "defensive depth" is 3 x 17 year olds. we need at least 1 more neckbeard in there. ;)

Reactions: StormWatcher

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Trade # 1
Brodie McConnel Barker
Alex Kostov
Christopher Brown
Marco Mignosa
For: Ty Nelson ( north bay )
Trade # 2
Brendan Sirizotti
Charlie Schinkel
For ; Justin Ertel & Dom DeVincentis ( North Bay )

would 2 trades like this ever happen ?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Well, we would trade away 4 forwards and only get one back in return. So we would be down to just 11 forwards on our roster.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Trade # 1
Brodie McConnel Barker
Alex Kostov
Christopher Brown
Marco Mignosa
Trade # 2
Brendan Sirizotti
Charlie Schinkel

i can't see either trade happening without picks involved.

trade 1 might work if it was 2 players and picks or something. and it can't involve mignosa because we need him.

trade 2 there is no incentive for north bay to make that move unless it involves a wackload of picks

i personally don't think schenkel is going anywhere, let alone for a guy letting in almost 4 goals a game with a save percentage of .875

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Trade # 1
Brodie McConnel Barker
Alex Kostov
Christopher Brown
Marco Mignosa
Trade # 2
Brendan Sirizotti
Charlie Schinkel

Regarding the first trade:

Nelson is a great player, but defense is a tertiary need for the Greyhounds after forward and goaltending, so I don't see them using their bullets on a guy like him.

Mignosa is also a key contributor to our forward group (our biggest need), so I can't see them wanting to deal him.

Regarding trade 2:

That seems like a downgrade for North Bay on both fronts. I'm sure the Greyhounds would do it.

Reactions: dirty12 and HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Trade # 1
Brodie McConnel Barker
Alex Kostov
Christopher Brown
Marco Mignosa
Trade # 2
Brendan Sirizotti
Charlie Schinkel

I don’t want Ty Nelson in the Soo lol

I think North Bay keeps them also

Owen Beck is the guy for this team, he’s obviously the guy for ANY team but his style and play fits this team. We need another C in my opinion, that’s who I target.

Gavin Hayes is the other forward I’d target.

Defensively, we do not need a star, or “big fish”, we need strength, hard hitting, someone responsible in the defensive zone, I don’t think. I don’t know who that may be but I feel like there are many options available.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Also, John Dean was very complimentary of Sirizzotti's leadership on Wednesday. Doesn't strike me as something you harp on if you are thinking of upgrading there.

I will say with only 23 on the roster, we probably, at most, ship out 1 player for every player we bring in. I can't see us reducing the roster below 23.

Reactions: HF92

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I don’t want Ty Nelson in the Soo lol

I think North Bay keeps them also

Owen Beck is the guy for this team, he’s obviously the guy for ANY team but his style and play fits this team. We need another C in my opinion, that’s who I target.

Gavin Hayes is the other forward I’d target.

Defensively, we do not need a star, or “big fish”, we need strength, hard hitting, someone responsible in the defensive zone, I don’t think. I don’t know who that may be but I feel like there are many options available.
Blake Smith of Flint fits that description.

Reactions: HF92

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Yeah, there are Smith, Smyth, Smith that fit that description. It seems Petes & ‘67s ‘want’ a lot for theirs, …NB apparently had to find theirs in jrA.
I watched the Petes one a few times this year because he's talked about so much. I wasn't impressed. He got a couple of big hits and is good on the PK , but he's also very poor positionally and tries to force passes a lot. I don't think he fits well with our style. He's more of a London or Flint kind of guy.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Trade # 1
Brodie McConnel Barker
Alex Kostov
Christopher Brown
Marco Mignosa
Trade # 2
Brendan Sirizotti
Charlie Schinkel

Sorry but that Trade #1 has gotten 'wtf' sorta vibes all over it, Nelson isn't worth 4 players...

i can't see either trade happening without picks involved.

trade 1 might work if it was 2 players and picks or something. and it can't involve mignosa because we need him.

trade 2 there is no incentive for north bay to make that move unless it involves a wackload of picks

i personally don't think schenkel is going anywhere, let alone for a guy letting in almost 4 goals a game with a save percentage of .875
I think Schenkel has taken some huge strides this past month to solidify himself as our #1 for the rest of the season, Dom doesn't seem like the capable goalie he was projected to be going into this season...

Blake Smith of Flint fits that description.
Maybe a trade for Hayes and Smith from Flint?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Caught some of Flint's game last night. Was impressed by Smith, he's a better skater than I thought. Not a lot of offense coming from there, but steady on the back end and doesn't panic with the puck in his own zone. Settles it down and starts it back up ice.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
what do you think a package for Hayes/Smith would look like? not familiar with smith.

is Brown + 4 picks enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad