SSM Greyhounds 2021-2022 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
sure is quiet around here!
I should point out that for all the whining and crying done about goaltenders (like they’re not part of the team or something?) by a certain someone around these here parts that Tucker Tynan has the best save% and GAA in the playoffs currently. Maybe it’s because he’s not playing a playoff caliber team that can only beat Erie and Saginaw but those numbers don’t lie. The Soo is getting goaltending right now.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
anything can happen for sure! i'd say the likelihood of the hounds taking 3 straight is slim but not impossible.

some of our fans have bought into the hype that we are perennial favourites and didn't give the firebirds their due respect going into this series. that's why i mention how quiet it is today. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
it's not a knock on Tynan, or Ivanov but cavalin is a much technically sound goalie, and you
don't hold your breath on any shots like you do with Tynan or Ivanov. If goaltending was
flipped in this series, hounds win in 4 or 5 games. Not much separating the 2 teams
except goaltending i believe. Hounds goaltending hasn't been bad but Flint's goaltending
has been exceptlional. Just sense the confidence that Flint team has in the netminder.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
anything can happen for sure! i'd say the likelihood of the hounds taking 3 straight is slim but not impossible.

some of our fans have bought into the hype that we are perennial contenders and didn't give the firebirds their due respect going into this series. that's why i mention how quiet it is today. :)
That’s why I replied to you. I’m aware of most of what you’ve posted over this season. Also in past seasons too, so it’s kind of hard for someone to argue that you’re just a negative hater. Every thread has their posters who’s opinions I listen to and give a little extra consideration. You and HockeyPops etc. on here annnnnnnd every thread has their whack jobs and just lack of hockey knowledge.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
I should point out that for all the whining and crying done about goaltenders (like they’re not part of the team or something?) by a certain someone around these here parts that Tucker Tynan has the best save% and GAA in the playoffs currently. Maybe it’s because he’s not playing a playoff caliber team that can only beat Erie and Saginaw but those numbers don’t lie. The Soo is getting goaltending right now.
The Soo's goaltending is not producing victories. The first two Flint victories were heavily dependent on their goaltending. The Soo now confronts a situation where they CANNOT lose a game. You do realize that Flint would have not been a 3rd seed had they not played Erie and Saginaw a combined 27 times (40% of their games) during the regular season? No other team had that advantage. Of course it is no fault on Flint, but more so the OHL's maneuvering of the schedule. Anyone who ends up winning the Robertson Cup is going to have to go thru Windsor and/or Hamilton. I don't have to tell you how Flint has faired against Windsor and Hamilton is totally an unknown for Flint. Best of luck to both teams the rest of this series.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The Soo's goaltending is not producing victories. The first two Flint victories were heavily dependent on their goaltending. The Soo now confronts a situation where they CANNOT lose a game. You do realize that Flint would have not been a 3rd seed had they not played Erie and Saginaw a combined 27 times (40% of their games) during the regular season? No other team had that advantage. Of course it is no fault on Flint, but more so the OHL's maneuvering of the schedule. Anyone who ends up winning the Robertson Cup is going to have to go thru Windsor and/or Hamilton. I don't have to tell you how Flint has faired against Windsor and Hamilton is totally an unknown for Flint. Best of luck to both teams the rest of this series.
SSM had Flint, Saginaw, Sarnia in division; and, Sudbury for 10 games. I’m pretty sure SSM was the only team to play three teams out of conference; Barrie, NB, SBY,
I won’t argue with Cavillon being the better goaltender or with Tynan having a better playoff GAA & SV%.
Soo has the big two on D. Flint has more depth at F; and, Flint has the best player in this series. Goaltending is not determining this series; it is Othman.
Flint should have been favoured, imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
You do realize that Flint would have not been a 3rd seed had they not played Erie and Saginaw a combined 27 times (40% of their games) during the regular season?
It’s impossible to know that. Flint’s record against London, Guelph, Sarnia, Kitchener was about the same as Saginaw (or better) and if you take out Erie’s record against Flint they’ve got a decent win%. If Flint ends up being in the Final Four after going through two VERY strong teams I don’t think that argument holds any weight. Even if the Greyhounds win the next 3 I think they’ve proven they’re not just a product of their schedule. I mean it seems pretty clear to me that they’re definetly in the more difficult (West Conf) Division this year with only Kitchener hanging on from the Midwest. Still A LOT of hockey left to play. In this round and the next two.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It’s impossible to know that. Flint’s record against London, Guelph, Sarnia, Kitchener was about the same as Saginaw (or better) and if you take out Erie’s record against Flint they’ve got a decent win%. If Flint ends up being in the Final Four after going through two VERY strong teams I don’t think that argument holds any weight. Even if the Greyhounds win the next 3 I think they’ve proven their not just a product of their schedule. I mean it seems pretty clear to me that they’re definetly in the more difficult (West Conf) Division this year with only Kitchener hanging on from the Midwest. Still A LOT of hockey left to play. In this round and the next two.
more difficult conference, or division; pretty difficult to say for certain either way. (I think) the spits were the best in conference, and probably equal to Kingston and NB. NB is a heck of a good team when the roster is full; must have been ~0.750. London had a good grip on the #1 seed in the west until Mailloux, Stelkov, and Brochu were out of the line up. Owen Sound was very good at the end.

Hamilton, ~40-3 down the stretch! :)

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
more difficult conference, or division; pretty difficult to say for certain either way. (I think) the spits were the best in conference, and probably equal to Kingston and NB. NB is a heck of a good team when the roster is full; must have been ~0.750. London had a good grip on the #1 seed in the west until Mailloux, Stelkov, and Brochu were out of the line up. Owen Sound was very good at the end.

Hamilton, ~40-3 down the stretch! :)
I agree somewhat. With no interconference play or very little it is nothing more than a guess how east will prevail against the west. Because Hamilton was the best in the east does not mean they will dominate the final against any of the west teams. We will know in approximately 4 weeks if east/west is best.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Tough loss last night. Could have gone either way, as could all the rest of the games in this series. Problem now though is they need to win three coin flips in a row. My high school math is rusty, but pretty sure it's only a 12.5% chance.

Flint firmly in the drivers seat now. Let's see how the Hounds respond.

Reactions: DWI Dale

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I agree somewhat. With no interconference play or very little it is nothing more than a guess how east will prevail against the west. Because Hamilton was the best in the east does not mean they will dominate the final against any of the west teams. We will know in approximately 4 weeks if east/west is best.
Hamilton has been on a roll, but Windsor looks really tough.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I don't know if pointing out that Luke Cavallin has put on two of the best playoff performances in recent memory is whining and crying, but he is almost 100% responsible for the series being the way it is and deserves a ton of credit. I've never seen a group of skaters play so poorly and get a win in a playoff game in many, many years of watching it. That's 7 or 8 goals more often than not.

Reactions: N Da No

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
40-3 to end the season, now near impossibly 47-3 in last 50 games is enough for me to believe Hamilton is the best OHL team; win the OHL championship or not.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
40-3 to end the season, now near impossibly 47-3 in last 50 games is enough for me to believe Hamilton is the best OHL team; win the OHL championship or not.
But they only played east teams, how did the fair against London, Soo, Windsor, Owen Sound ETC? It is an assumption that they are better than these teams but until they play the west champ it is just that, an assumption. Now for sure they are heads above the east and will likely win it all but never say never.

Reactions: Section 103

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don't know if pointing out that Luke Cavallin has put on two of the best playoff performances in recent memory is whining and crying, but he is almost 100% responsible for the series being the way it is and deserves a ton of credit. I've never seen a group of skaters play so poorly and get a win in a playoff game in many, many years of watching it. That's 7 or 8 goals more often than not.
The Soo has put a lot of pressure on Flint by impressively holding the offensive blue line. But Flint has several players to make the Soo pay for (imo) when near wreckless pressure turns into irresponsible play.

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Flint has played a pretty patient game against the Soo.

They know they can't skate with our speed so instead of trying to, they've clogged the neutral zone, and protected the front of their net. They have a lot of faith in Cavallin and seem willing to give us the perimeter knowing pucks will be stopped and smothered. When there are rebounds Flint has done a good job of boxing out the net front and preventing the hounds from getting the type of "greasy" goal you need to win in the playoffs. While I do agree that Cavallin has been the MVP of the series, it's silly to suggest he's the only reason the hounds are down 3-1.

The hounds need a 110% effort, a whole lot of puck luck, and even that might not be enough to push this series to game 6 and beyond.

Reactions: Toldyaso

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
But they only played east teams, how did the fair against London, Soo, Windsor, Owen Sound ETC? It is an assumption that they are better than these teams but until they play the west champ it is just that, an assumption. Now for sure they are heads above the east and will likely win it all but never say never.
Oh, I did not say Hamilton will win it all. 47-3 regardless of opponent is …Hamilton is the best OHL team, and it’s not even close imo

Reactions: nelli27

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Yeah, that would be valid except you’ve spent the last few years saying how great the Soo is and how they outshoot everybody but there’s some miracle goaltender that’s just stifling them or how the Soo’s goalie is so terrible. Until you got your savior in Tynan. Which was supposed to change EVERYthing. Yet, here we are. Again. Yeah, Cav has been great but he’s an undrafted, unsigned goalie so it’s kind of difficult to play it like Flint has the second coming of Dominek Hasek between the pipes. You should take a look at your skaters too....the series would be different if oh, I don’t know....Savard didn’t fire it right into Cav’s glove on a 3 on 0 or maybe if Kerins didn’t blow a wide open chance with 30 seconds left in a tie game. If the Hounds can’t do better than 1-3 with really good goaltending from Tynan against “a non-playoff caliber” team playing worse than you’ve ever seen with just a hot goalie then maybe they’re not that good at all. Or you’re just a horrible hockey analyst.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Yeah, that would be valid except you’ve spent the last few years saying how great the Soo is and how they outshoot everybody but there’s some miracle goaltender that’s just stifling them or how the Soo’s goalie is so terrible. Until you got your savior in Tynan. Which was supposed to change EVERYthing. Yet, here we are. Again. Yeah, Cav has been great but he’s an undrafted, unsigned goalie so it’s kind of difficult to play it like Flint has the second coming of Dominek Hasek between the pipes. You should take a look at your skaters too....the series would be different if oh, I don’t know....Savard didn’t fire it right into Cav’s glove on a 3 on 0 or maybe if Kerins didn’t blow a wide open chance with 30 seconds left in a tie game. If the Hounds can’t do better than 1-3 with really good goaltending from Tynan against “a non-playoff caliber” team playing worse than you’ve ever seen with just a hot goalie then maybe they’re not that good at all. Or you’re just a horrible hockey analyst.
Stop he has a family.... :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad