SSM Greyhounds 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
No Malik, Hayton and guessing a few otherss likely means the rebuild is on for 2019-2020

The rebuild already happened last season when we were the second youngest team in the league. It was a bit of surprise in terms of wins, but we're loaded with young talent and primed to go for it in the next few seasons.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The rebuild already happened last season when we were the second youngest team in the league. It was a bit of surprise in terms of wins, but we're loaded with young talent and primed to go for it in the next few seasons.

Things change fast in the OHL but as of right now, I don’t see the hounds having the ‘99 & 2000 players to go for it this season. Comparing the 2001-03 to Kitchener, London, Flint, Saginaw, and Windsor; I am not convinced the Soo is primed to go for it in the next couple of seasons either.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Things change fast in the OHL but as of right now, I don’t see the hounds having the ‘99 & 2000 players to go for it this season. Comparing the 2001-03 to Kitchener, London, Flint, Saginaw, and Windsor; I am not convinced the Soo is primed to go for it in the next couple of seasons either.
All depends on what happens with Barrett Hayton. If he returns and is moved at the deadline, along with Peca and Propp perhaps, depending on the assets returned they can be really strong the following couple seasons and still get a round or two of playoffs this season.

Reactions: dirty12

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

The composition and talent of this team isn't much different than the past 7 or 8 years. Fans have underestimated the team for years and will continue to do so. Your scepticism is nothing new but I expect that you will be surprised at the jumps of some players.

Also, why are we even comparing 2003 players right now? The Hounds have a pretty good track record with drafting so it seems silly to doubt players like Holmes already.

We haven't even seen all of the the 2002 players yet, but O'Rourke looks like a top 5 or 6 player from that draft and there are some promising young forwards. The Hounds crop from that year compares favourably to other teams so far.

As for 2001, we'll have to see. I don't think that the group of Pytlik, Carroll, MacKay, and company is that different from teams like Kitchener (Vukojevic, Petizian) or Saginaw (Millman, Porco, Baber). Maybe I'm wrong about that, we'll have to see.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
All depends on what happens with Barrett Hayton. If he returns and is moved at the deadline, along with Peca and Propp perhaps, depending on the assets returned they can be really strong the following couple seasons and still get a round or two of playoffs this season.

The first sentence of my post contained; things change fast in the OHL, but as of right now ...

Reactions: Mikey71

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The composition and talent of this team isn't much different than the past 7 or 8 years. Fans have underestimated the team for years and will continue to do so. Your scepticism is nothing new but I expect that you will be surprised at the jumps of some players.

I am not sure that I have or do underestimate the hounds. I can certainly appreciate their recent run of competitiveness. Do I, like you, consider the hounds to be the team of the decade? Heck no; but, my post was in response to your claim that the hounds are primed to go for it for the next few seasons. Honestly, I simply see London, Kitchener, Flint, Saginaw, Windsor as having better rosters and picks for the next few seasons. Also, unlike you; I don’t view SSM as having a similar composition as recent years. I don’t see two top 15 scorers supported by another 2-3 all stars on the current roster.

(As of right now) that is. The Soo just might get a boatload of picks and prospects at the deadline while other teams spend every last asset. Until then.

Reactions: TuckerFan1

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I am not sure that I have or do underestimate the hounds. I can certainly appreciate their recent run of competitiveness. Do I, like you, consider the hounds to be the team of the decade? Heck no; but, my post was in response to your claim that the hounds are primed to go for it for the next few seasons. Honestly, I simply see London, Kitchener, Flint, Saginaw, Windsor as having better rosters and picks for the next few seasons. Also, unlike you; I don’t view SSM as having a similar composition as recent years. I don’t see two top 15 scorers supported by another 2-3 all stars on the current roster.

(As of right now) that is. The Soo just might get a boatload of picks and prospects at the deadline while other teams spend every last asset. Until then.

If you measure success by winning then they are certainly the best team of the last 7 years, but I suspect that London would be ahead for the last 10. That could change in the next 2 or 3 seasons, but I digress.

You have a long history of underestimating or being wrong about the Greyhounds. I've been hearing the same thing about how they lost too much to compete for the last 3 or 4 seasons and you have been wrong each and every time. They barely missed first place and lost even less than previous seasons, but you still think this is the year it will blow up in their faces.

I don't say this to put you down or anything because you know your hockey in other regards, but you obviously have a serious bias with regards to this team. It may be time to reevaluate your thought process.

I used to think that the Petes were going to break out and be good every year, but I came to the realization that they never add up to the sum of their parts so I have had more realistic expectations and been more accurate recently. It happens to everyone.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
If you measure success by winning then they are certainly the best team of the last 7 years, but I suspect that London would be ahead for the last 10. That could change in the next 2 or 3 seasons, but I digress.

You have a long history of underestimating or being wrong about the Greyhounds. I've been hearing the same thing about how they lost too much to compete for the last 3 or 4 seasons and you have been wrong each and every time. They barely missed first place and lost even less than previous seasons, but you still think this is the year it will blow up in their faces.

I don't say this to put you down or anything because you know your hockey in other regards, but you obviously have a serious bias with regards to this team. It may be time to reevaluate your thought process.

I used to think that the Petes were going to break out and be good every year, but I came to the realization that they never add up to the sum of their parts so I have had more realistic expectations and been more accurate recently. It happens to everyone.
The Soo's winning percentage in recent years is no doubt impressive, but I would argue that "success" involves winning championships (or at least that has to factor into the equation) something the Hounds have not done since 1993, I believe. This is not to take away from the talented teams they've iced for over a lustrum but I don't think they even deserve mention in the same breath as London.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The Soo's winning percentage in recent years is no doubt impressive, but I would argue that "success" involves winning championships (or at least that has to factor into the equation) something the Hounds have not done since 1993, I believe. This is not to take away from the talented teams they've iced for over a lustrum but I don't think they even deserve mention in the same breath as London.

Three straight (2 OHL and Mem cup) ending in 93, yes.

Being able to host on a regular basis is a big advantage, but your point is well taken nonetheless.

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019

Also, why are we even comparing 2003 players right now? The Hounds have a pretty good track record with drafting so it seems silly to doubt players like Holmes already.

We haven't even seen all of the the 2002 players yet, but O'Rourke looks like a top 5 or 6 player from that draft and there are some promising young forwards. The Hounds crop from that year compares favourably to other teams so far.

As for 2001, we'll have to see. I don't think that the group of Pytlik, Carroll, MacKay, and company is that different from teams like Kitchener (Vukojevic, Petizian) or Saginaw (Millman, Porco, Baber). Maybe I'm wrong about that, we'll have to see.

I don't understand how the rebuild occured last season. The 2002 group is still an unknown, two possibly three solid developing players, and the 2003 crop is just that, a crop of potential prospects. Everything points to Hayton being in Arizona this coming season, so I'm moving forward without him in the equation. I do believe for the 2001 group that Pytlik is clearly the top foward returning this season and hopefully he can carry the load, but only time will tell about both Carroll and MacKay. Clearly the entry draft confirmed this comment. I do feel Carroll's size gives him a great upside. As for the 2000 group, I'm assuming both Pucek and Jacklin will be released or not return for various reasons. This leaves both Trott and Roth. Assuming Trott will be back and I hope he builds on last season, but I've mentioned before that Roth's situation is confusing to me. Guy scores points and yet never had ice time. Thought he would seek a trade, but others mentioned he was already skating in the SOO. One big positive, our top two lines of defense will be very strong, maybe as good as any top two lines in the OHL, and likely will be able to keep most games in check. I know this, lots of points have left this roster from last season.

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
Hoping my last post was not taken as negative, but just an honest opinion about the 2019-2020 season. I'm hoping Dickinson is another great FA pick along with both Kartye and McLean having breakout seasons. Johnston also is a player with breakout potential. Like most, I'm excited about Holmes and Boudreau developing in the SOO. Seems to me like a rebuild in 2019-2020 sets up for a good run in 2020-2021 and great run in 2021-2022.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I don't understand how the rebuild occured last season. The 2002 group is still an unknown, two possibly three solid developing players, and the 2003 crop is just that, a crop of potential prospects. Everything points to Hayton being in Arizona this coming season, so I'm moving forward without him in the equation. I do believe for the 2001 group that Pytlik is clearly the top foward returning this season and hopefully he can carry the load, but only time will tell about both Carroll and MacKay. Clearly the entry draft confirmed this comment. I do feel Carroll's size gives him a great upside. As for the 2000 group, I'm assuming both Pucek and Jacklin will be released or not return for various reasons. This leaves both Trott and Roth. Assuming Trott will be back and I hope he builds on last season, but I've mentioned before that Roth's situation is confusing to me. Guy scores points and yet never had ice time. Thought he would seek a trade, but others mentioned he was already skating in the SOO. One big positive, our top two lines of defense will be very strong, maybe as good as any top two lines in the OHL, and likely will be able to keep most games in check. I know this, lots of points have left this roster from last season.

There are about 378 points departing, you are right. It sounds like a lot, but that is typical in the OHL.

We had about 440 points leave the year before and 325 the year before that. Good teams lose good players, it's all part of the cycle.

Being an incredibly young team, we're going to see major progression from a lot of players in a lot of areas. Who saw a 30 goal increase coming from Howdeshell last year? Kids will step up and fill scoring roles.

Just to show my point about young teams, Saginaw and Ottawa were the youngest teams in the league in the year before last season. They both won their conference. The year before it was Barrie, who won their division. The year before that, it was the Greyhounds and they won 48 games the next season.

This year the teams are Flint and Sault Ste. Marie. I expect both teams to be quite good.

Reactions: LR8 and HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Roster 14 F, 8 D, 2 G

Top 6 F
Hayton
Trott
Roth
Pytlik
Carroll
MacKay

Bottom 8 F*
Peca
Johnston
Kartye
McLean
Kerins
Dickinson
Mufarreh
Watson
Boudreau

Top 4 D
OA
LeGuerrier
Wawrow
O'Rourke

Bottom 4 D
Wale
Calisti
Halushak
Holmes

Goalies
Propp
Taylor

Notes
I believe one of the bottom 8 forwards will be moved for an OA defenseman.
I think Propp will report.
I think its 50/50 that Hayton is back.
I would like to see more transactions, but Raftis seems to prefer fewer moves, so I believe our December roster (once Hayton returns) will look like this.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Roster 14 F, 8 D, 2 G

Top 6 F
Hayton
Trott
Roth
Pytlik
Carroll
MacKay

Bottom 8 F*
Peca
Johnston
Kartye
McLean
Kerins
Dickinson
Mufarreh
Watson
Boudreau

Top 4 D
OA
LeGuerrier
Wawrow
O'Rourke

Bottom 4 D
Wale
Calisti
Halushak
Holmes

Goalies
Propp
Taylor

Notes
I believe one of the bottom 8 forwards will be moved for an OA defenseman.
I think Propp will report.
I think its 50/50 that Hayton is back.
I would like to see more transactions, but Raftis seems to prefer fewer moves, so I believe our December roster (once Hayton returns) will look like this.

Peca got a role in the top 6 last year, especially in the playoffs. I think he'll be in the same position this year.

Teams are always optimistic about their own players, but a friend with the team tells me that they really think highly of him. Bobby Macintyre was brought up as a comp.

Holden Wale also played on Leguerrier's right side a lot in their first season, despite him being a left shot. I think he'll get that chance over Wawrow after a very good season last year.

What forward do you think they will move? I think you have to keep the centers Carroll and Johnson in the event that Hayton doesn't come back.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
These are all great points that I struggled with too while crafting this. Both Peca and Wale were on the bubble for me, but I felt by December the alternatives would slightly edge them out. Quite possibly not the case. I want to make it clear I have no inside scoop, just on the outside looking in.

As for centers, I think we are in pretty good shape even if we move one. Pytlik, Carroll, Johnston, Kartye, McLean, Kerins, Mufarreh, Dickinson all play there. Oh, and Hayton if he is back.

As for trade bait, I purposely named an extra forward, and would rather not speculate. They are, after all, just kids.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Goaltending will be an upgrade this year.
If Hayton comes back Greyhounds could make a run
Would need upgrade on D and scoring forward.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Goaltending will be an upgrade this year.
Goaltending an upgrade? Unlikely. Last season Villalta was a .903 SAV% and Propp an .893 SAV%. Propp was better in 2017-2018, and may return to his prior form, but even then I would say the best we can hope for is that Propp matches what Villalta did last year.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Goaltending an upgrade? Unlikely. Last season Villalta was a .903 SAV% and Propp an .893 SAV%. Propp was better in 2017-2018, and may return to his prior form, but even then I would say the best we can hope for is that Propp matches what Villalta did last year.

Both played 51 games.
NB goalie faced 257 more shots. 17% more shots against on the year. Must also consider degree of difficulty of those saves, rebounds, redirects, when game is played in your own zone. Sault does not do much of that, while NB tends to play on their heels stylistically.
Soo gave up roughly 31 shots per game. Only Ottawa, Sud, Owen Sound, Missy, London and Hamilton gave up fewer shots than the Soo.
NB gave up far more - in the neighborhood of 38 per game. With Flint last year as worst in the league by a good margin.
Flip the defence and style of play in front of the goalies, and the statistical gap is far greater and in favor of your new goalie. Look at the difference in the line ups historically.
Reg season games facing more than 40 shots for previous Greyhound goalie was 4. New addition last year had 16 games of more than 40 shots. Playoff average shot against for new goalie was over 50.

Sault will like this trade, especially when you consider the cost.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Both played 51 games.
NB goalie faced 257 more shots. 17% more shots against on the year. Must also consider degree of difficulty of those saves, rebounds, redirects, when game is played in your own zone. Sault does not do much of that, while NB tends to play on their heels stylistically.
Soo gave up roughly 31 shots per game. Only Ottawa, Sud, Owen Sound, Missy, London and Hamilton gave up fewer shots than the Soo.
NB gave up far more - in the neighborhood of 38 per game. With Flint last year as worst in the league by a good margin.
Flip the defence and style of play in front of the goalies, and the statistical gap is far greater and in favor of your new goalie. Look at the difference in the line ups historically.
Reg season games facing more than 40 shots for previous Greyhound goalie was 4. New addition last year had 16 games of more than 40 shots. Playoff average shot against for new goalie was over 50.

What is the cost?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
What is the cost?
Don't know the cost yet. Right now it's a 15th round conditional.
Don't get me wrong, I like the acquisition (depending on the final cost), but not because it's an "upgrade" over Villalta. Villalta has moved on, hopefully Propp reports and puts up similar to what Villalta did last year.

If Propp really was that obvious an upgrade over Villalta, where was the interest in him last year at the trade deadline? Where was he drafted in the NHL? Where is his ELC? Why did Purboo put up better numbers than him last season with the same team in front of them?

Reactions: HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Both played 51 games.

It is not confirmed that Propp is even coming to the Soo... Is it ....... I've heard something about him going to school.

Also Propp is a downgrade.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
The Greyhounds are going to make some moves that make sense for NEXT year... For Greyhound fans who want to see Hayton in red and white i just don't think you will. If he does come back to the OHL I'm positive in assuming that Raftis already intends on moving him for the best possible deal out there. I do believe the potential return for Hayton will be high. A lot of people are skewed by the fact he's a Greyhound and think his value is less or something or because we have him. He's going to be the most wanted player in the OHL.

Hounds will build a team to make a run in 2020/2021. That's a fact jack. Pending any disatrious draft picks and injuries obviously.

Raftis took Nick Malik knowing he wouldn't come until next season. In which he can come in and be #1 and Taylor will have the experience to be able to back him up. The intention was to take a finnish dman, BUT Raftis decided to make a pick that would benefit us not just this year because he's aware of the situation... We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad