SSM Greyhounds 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Can someone tell me when was the last time a player, already signed to an ELC, returned to junior hockey for an overage season? Why are so many posters convinced that Matty V is coming back?

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
it's not so bad. nobody likes to lose but if you do it's nice when it's to a team that looks like they could win a championship.

Reactions: Houndsfan22

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Can someone tell me when was the last time a player, already signed to an ELC, returned to junior hockey for an overage season? Why are so many posters convinced that Matty V is coming back?

Mac Hollowell is signed to an ELC and played for us.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
He only signed a month ago. I mean a player who was signed before they started their OA year like Villalta.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Plus can't they only slide the ELC for one year? Villalta was signed in April 2018 so he has already had a season to slide.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Capfriendly.com FAQ says the contract can only slide if they dont turn 20 by Dec 31. Matty V will not be slide eligible next season. If they have to burn a year of his ELC anyway, I can't see him returning.

@SeaOfBlue a little help here?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Capfriendly.com FAQ says the contract can only slide if they dont turn 20 by Dec 31. Matty V will not be slide eligible next season. If they have to burn a year of his ELC anyway, I can't see him returning.

I believe you are correct in that it would not slide, first year would be burned if he played in the AHL/ECHL next season.

See Alex Nedeljkovic as a recent example: Alex Nedeljkovic - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: HockeyPops

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I'll just preface everything by saying I'm not exactly a CBA expert, but I'll give it a go and I have some examples which MAY be applicable. Skip to the proof and conclusion if you want a quick answer. The rest pretty much is just context for what applies to Hollowell and Vilalta specifically.

LA drafted Vilalta in his draft year and he wasn't a late birthday, so his rights would have expired before his OA year had LA not signed him. If we want to deal with hypotheticals, I'll give you two which are identical cases but with a different perspective:

Hypothetical 1
Let's say Hollowell was drafted in his draft year (i.e. 2017) instead of his D+1 year (2018) by the Leafs and we decided to sign him before the start of his OA year. He could come back for his OA year without burning a year on his ELC because the Leafs would have held his rights through his OA year even if we did not sign him. Rules are, you keep a CHL year for two years after you draft them, or until they are no longer CHL eligible. So when the Leafs drafted Hollowell, we were only held his rights for one year and had to sign him after his OA year or lose his rights (See the side note in Appendix A for more convoluted contract rules), because he would have no longer been CHL eligible after his OA year.

Hypothetical 2
Let's say Vilalta was a late birthday (or equivalently, went undrafted in 2017 but was picked up in 2018; no difference in this hypothetical). LA would get to keep his rights for two years, which under this circumstance, would mean they could send him back for his OA year without burning a year on his ELC because the Kings would have held his rights through his OA year even if they did not sign him.

Proof
Jamie Devane. Leafs signed him in 2009 after drafting him in 2009. Sent him to Plymouth for two years, both of which were slide years. Decided to send him back for his OA year; burned his first year of his ELC. See for yourself: Jamie Devane - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Conclusion
If Vilalta comes back for his OA year, LA burns a year of his ELC. Therefore, it's highly unlikely they send him back to SSM. Far more likely they send him to the ECHL if there is no room for him on their AHL squad. Hope that helps!

Appendix A: Random Side Note about American players which has nothing to do with this case but you may find interesting and may be applicable down the line.

Not applicable in this situation, but you never know when it may arise down the line with someone like Caufield or Beecher or someone like that. Kind of a stupid rule, because if you draft a guy out of the US, like we did with Piccinich, we keep the guy until he WOULD have drafted college, even if he comes to the CHL. So the Leafs were able to keep Piccinich's rights for a college term equivalence of 4 years after we drafted him even though he left for the CHL after like 1 and a bit years. So in the end, we actually still had protection rights on him for extra year even after he completed an OA year. Yet for Hollowell, because we drafted him as a D+1 late birthday - which essentially means he's treated as a D+2 - we only keep him until the end of his OA year as are the rules for drafting D+2 CHLers. Which, as you probably know, is less than the typical two years you get with most CHLers.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
I'll just preface everything by saying I'm not exactly a CBA expert, but I'll give it a go and I have some examples which MAY be applicable. Skip to the proof and conclusion if you want a quick answer. The rest pretty much is just context for what applies to Hollowell and Vilalta specifically.

LA drafted Vilalta in his draft year and he wasn't a late birthday, so his rights would have expired before his OA year had LA not signed him. If we want to deal with hypotheticals, I'll give you two which are identical cases but with a different perspective:

Hypothetical 1
Let's say Hollowell was drafted in his draft year (i.e. 2017) instead of his D+1 year (2018) by the Leafs and we decided to sign him before the start of his OA year. He could come back for his OA year without burning a year on his ELC because the Leafs would have held his rights through his OA year even if we did not sign him. Rules are, you keep a CHL year for two years after you draft them, or until they are no longer CHL eligible. So when the Leafs drafted Hollowell, we were only held his rights for one year and had to sign him after his OA year or lose his rights (See the side note in Appendix A for more convoluted contract rules), because he would have no longer been CHL eligible after his OA year.

Hypothetical 2
Let's say Vilalta was a late birthday (or equivalently, went undrafted in 2017 but was picked up in 2018; no difference in this hypothetical). LA would get to keep his rights for two years, which under this circumstance, would mean they could send him back for his OA year without burning a year on his ELC because the Kings would have held his rights through his OA year even if they did not sign him.

Proof
Jamie Devane. Leafs signed him in 2009 after drafting him in 2009. Sent him to Plymouth for two years, both of which were slide years. Decided to send him back for his OA year; burned his first year of his ELC. See for yourself: Jamie Devane - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Conclusion
If Vilalta comes back for his OA year, LA burns a year of his ELC. Therefore, it's highly unlikely they send him back to SSM. Far more likely they send him to the ECHL if there is no room for him on their AHL squad. Hope that helps!

Appendix A: Random Side Note about American players which has nothing to do with this case but you may find interesting and may be applicable down the line.

Not applicable in this situation, but you never know when it may arise down the line with someone like Caufield or Beecher or someone like that. Kind of a stupid rule, because if you draft a guy out of the US, like we did with Piccinich, we keep the guy until he WOULD have drafted college, even if he comes to the CHL. So the Leafs were able to keep Piccinich's rights for a college term equivalence of 4 years after we drafted him even though he left for the CHL after like 1 and a bit years. So in the end, we actually still had protection rights on him for extra year even after he completed an OA year. Yet for Hollowell, because we drafted him as a D+1 late birthday - which essentially means he's treated as a D+2 - we only keep him until the end of his OA year as are the rules for drafting D+2 CHLers. Which, as you probably know, is less than the typical two years you get with most CHLers.
But consider that LA would not need to pay him if he goes back as an OA. Depending on how they feel about a second contract they may welcome the opportunity to not pay him next year.

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Imagine that. Oshawa won a memorial cup a couple years ago and are back in the conference final. Now that's a recipe.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Imagine that. Oshawa won a memorial cup a couple years ago and are back in the conference final. Now that's a recipe.

They certainly are one of the more consistent franchises, but they did follow up that season with a 27 win campaign while selling of the likes of Dal Colle, Desrocher, Petschening, and Mistele. I'm sure plenty of the picks and players in those deals were instrumental in their success this season. Eventually everyone has to restock. Erie had a sustained run of success, just like your team has had, but now they are building again, just as Oshawa did. Hopefully Hayton is returned to you guys so you can restock as well.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
This poster is convinced matty will not be back.

Many feel that the only thing that will discourage the return is the contract rules. Play has not been anything to indicate he is ready for pro at this point. Hopeful because of play - doubtful because of the rules.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

petes fans were convinced dylan wells was coming back last year after a legitimate off year, he moved on to the pros. every fan base always thinks their players will come back, they dont. i cant remamber the last signed nhl goaltender who returned as a 20 year old, teams want them under their finger as quick as possible. vilalta isnt coming back.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
petes fans were convinced dylan wells was coming back last year after a legitimate off year, he moved on to the pros. every fan base always thinks their players will come back, they dont. i cant remamber the last signed nhl goaltender who returned as a 20 year old, teams want them under their finger as quick as possible. vilalta isnt coming back.

I believe Jake Paterson was signed by the Red Wings and they sent him back for his OA season. Still not a common occurrence though.

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Wow that's great! Guelph also won an ohl championship s few years ago and are back at the conference final again. Another great recipe for winning. And does that suzuki and durzi trade look like a good move so far. Go guelph!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad