SSM Greyhounds 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
As a Kitchener fan I believe that we will be contenders, so just wondering what you guys think the price it would take to get Barrett Hayton.
Francesco Pinelli and a 3rd
I’d bet it’ll be more than that.
When Robert Thomas was 18, he was traded to Hamilton at the trade deadline for Connor McMichael (16 year old first rounder - 11th overall) and a 2nd. I think Thomas's value at 18 was slightly greater than Barrett Hayton at 19. Hence I figured the return would be Francesco Pinelli (16 year old first rounder - 13th overall) and a 3rd.

Note: I am ignoring conditional picks for both deals, there would obviously be conditionals included in a Hayton trade, as there were in the Thomas trade.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
When Robert Thomas was 18, he was traded to Hamilton at the trade deadline for Connor McMichael (16 year old first rounder - 11th overall) and a 2nd. I think Thomas's value at 18 was slightly greater than Barrett Hayton at 19. Hence I figured the return would be Francesco Pinelli (16 year old first rounder - 13th overall) and a 3rd.

Note: I am ignoring conditional picks for both deals, there would obviously be conditionals included in a Hayton trade, as there were in the Thomas trade.
I think it would also take 2 or 3 seconds. Look what we paid for Raddysh and Ritchie.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Could be. I will be the first to admit I struggle to determine fair market value in these kinds of deals.
I agree - it is much harder now to figure deals out with the window getting tighter for how far out you can trade picks - 3 years ago 2nds were like candy, now they are like diamonds. A second now is worth 3 seconds 3 years ago. People may think their team did not get much in a deal but market value of picks have gone way up.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree - it is much harder now to figure deals out with the window getting tighter for how far out you can trade picks - 3 years ago 2nds were like candy, now they are like diamonds. A second now is worth 3 seconds 3 years ago. People may think their team did not get much in a deal but market value of picks have gone way up.

I wouldn’t go that far. I can see more players moved and/or (3+5) in lieu of distant 2nds (that were never considered equal to an imminent 2nd imo). Trade returns were down a bit last deadline because there was four buyers and about ten teams looking to sell.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Who would be coming to the Petes?
Weird to be trading a hometown player away......although trades need to happen for the Petes.
Maybe Hayton is coming the other way so it’s Peterborough boy for Peterborough boy?!:DD

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Who would be coming to the Petes?
Weird to be trading a hometown player away......although trades need to happen for the Petes.
Maybe Hayton is coming the other way so it’s Peterborough boy for Peterborough boy?!:DD

If so, likely means they’re going with JPJ.

I imagine this is just for a mid round pick.... if the rumour is accurate.

Last edited:

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Hearing Nick Malik will not be reporting to the Soo this year. He does intend on coming to North America though.

He had an injury at Hlinka Gretzky Cup that saw him replaced , not sure if that plays into anything.

Several sources confirming that he wanted number one spot. He can have that in Liga

I also mentioned a bit back that I think they drafted him for the 2020/2021 season and I do believe we are building our team for a run that year. I can't take credit for this as it's not info I dug but was told by a close source that the Soo was all in on taking a Finnish defenceman drafted by the Leafs St the draft, something changed( No Hayton?) and the moment they took Malik it was for the intent of 2020/2021 season.

Last edited:

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
Hearing Nick Malik will not be reporting to the Soo this year. He does intend on coming to North America though.

He had an injury at Hlinka Gretzky Cup that saw him replaced , not sure if that plays into anything.

Several sources confirming that he wanted number one spot. He can have that in Liga

I also mentioned a bit back that I think they drafted him for the 2020/2021 season and I do believe we are building our team for a run that year. I can't take credit for this as it's not info I dug but was told by a close source that the Soo was all in on taking a Finnish defenceman drafted by the Leafs St the draft, something changed( No Hayton?) and the moment they took Malik it was for the intent of 2020/2021 season.

No Malik, Hayton and guessing a few otherss likely means the rebuild is on for 2019-2020

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Malik was unlikely to make a big impact this season even if he reported. Hence, Malik not reporting changes little for this season. Nothing has changed with Hayton's situation. Probably better than 50% chance he sticks with the Coyotes, but we will have to wait and see.
guessing a few others
Uh, who?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Matt McNamara from Pete's *may* be a Greyhound

Stay tuned

A veteran RD to slot into the second paring was the one glaring weakness on this team.

I'd expect him to go for a 4th or 5th round pick based on past seasons but a worse and older player in Daniel Walker just went for that so it's hard to say.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
A veteran RD to slot into the second paring was the one glaring weakness on this team.

I'd expect him to go for a 4th or 5th round pick based on past seasons but a worse and older player in Daniel Walker just went for that so it's hard to say.

If Walker can again play the way he did during last season’s playoff vs Niagara, he is worth every bit the 4th pick four drafts away.

Reactions: TuckerFan1

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Malik was unlikely to make a big impact this season even if he reported. Hence, Malik not reporting changes little for this season. Nothing has changed with Hayton's situation. Probably better than 50% chance he sticks with the Coyotes, but we will have to wait and see.

Uh, who?

I kind of disagree. We don't know that. He could have came and played like UPL.

I think he has an AMAZING year with chance Liga playing against men, and then comes and plays for a more meaningful spot next year with Taylor more experienced. If Malik came today , Taylor would see next to NO icetime.

I believe we will see Barrett Hayton back in the OHL around/after the World Juniors.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com

Was told a pick. Was also told it would be announced today. So we will see...

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I’ve only caught highlights but O’Rourke looks to be killing it at Hlinka. Bodes well for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad