SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Thank you for this post, and in particular this quote. It was the missing piece in my understanding of who comes back for an overage year. Both Sambrook and Hollowell are drafted but have not signed an ELC (according to CapFriendly), hence their overage year. Johnson and Howdeshell are of course undrafted hence their overage year.

No problem . MOST of the time players that sign their ELC will not return for an OA season regardless of wether they’re drafted or FA Invite to an NHL team. Thanks for the information on Hollowell ^, so with him, Sambrook, Johnson and Howdeshell unsigned that’s why they’re here. If TO were to sign Hollowell or Howdeshell before the season then they could leave, but I don’t see why TO would do that...

If the kids need more time I believe they will sell in December (DeMeo, Hollowell, Sambrook, Frost, Howdeshell, Hayton, Villalta).

Although i could defiantely see hounds sell depending on how first half plays out i dont think hayton would be traded since he would have another year of NHL or junior as only options in his 19y/o season unless they feel he wont be back next year ala thomas from london to hamilton last year.[/QUOTE]

You are correct with Hayton. I put him in the list because I currently believe he has a greater chance of making the N next year then coming back for a 19. Arizona is weak, he’s a stud (I woulda picked him if I had he #3 pick), he’s got the right attitude and if he can take the next step this year I believe he’ll end up in the Mitch Marner’s path.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Ethan Taylor (G) looked great in today's 11am red vs. white scrimmage.

This kid had a great camp last year as well. He’s my pick to back up Villalta this year if they decide to move Johnson (which I believe is a fore sure thing due to only being allowed to have 3 OAs.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Who do you guys have as OA eligibles this year? Specifically on D?

Sambrook and Hollowell for D.
I guess Timmins technically but he’s not returning.

Howdeshell and a slew of forwards not returning (Raddysh, Kopacka, etc.)

T Johnson in net.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Who do you guys have as OA eligibles this year? Specifically on D?

Hollowell gets more in a trade but is better. So it's up to the GM to decide what direction he wants to go.
Sambrook would be the other one and is also good enough to play on a top pairing. With Sandin (likely) gone, those two are the best defensemen they have.

Of course he could also end up keeping both defensemen and just trade Johnson. If he ends up keeping Villalta, that makes the most sense. Although I would be shocked to not see one of the prospect goalies as a backup next year, so SSM can work on finding their next guy in net.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Sandin is on the Leafs rookie camp roster. He may just be making a special trip from Sweden and then will head back over once he is done, but that could mean he ends up on the Marlies...

But with the number of defensemen on the Marlies, that could also mean he heads back to the Soo instead.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The other option in net is Dougie Newhouse. Although he is a '99 like Villalta, he is almost definitely back for an OA year next year. If they like Dougie and aren't sure about any of their younger options, he would give them an extra year to develop their next crop of goalies. They could deal TJ, but Matty would fetch a lot more...

If they dealt Matty, they would also have to deal another OA (likely a defenseman either Hollowell or Sambrook).

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Watched the scrimmage tonight.

Of the 4 goalies that played I thought Owen Porter and Ethan Taylor looked sharper than Kyle McNair and Owen Parker.

From the defense I liked Seguin, Calisti, O'Rourke, and Halushak. Wale has not impressed me too much this camp.

From the forwards I liked Hilton, Scrivens, Kartye, Todd, Watson, Kerins, Cullen McLean. Pucek played but looked rusty.

Please note most returning players were not in the game tonight. That includes Villalta, Johnson, Newhouse, Sambrook, Hollowell, Demeo, Leguerrier, Caron, Frost, Hayton, Carroll, Howdeshell, Roth, Trott, MacKay, Jacklin. Also McIntyre and Dekoning did not dress, so I assume they are no longer in consideration.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Watched the scrimmage tonight.

Of the 4 goalies that played I thought Owen Porter and Ethan Taylor looked sharper than Kyle McNair and Owen Parker.

From the defense I liked Seguin, Calisti, O'Rourke, and Halushak. Wale has not impressed me too much this camp.

From the forwards I liked Hilton, Scrivens, Kartye, Todd, Watson, Kerins, Cullen McLean. Pucek played but looked rusty.

Please note most returning players were not in the game tonight. That includes Villalta, Johnson, Newhouse, Sambrook, Hollowell, Demeo, Leguerrier, Caron, Frost, Hayton, Carroll, Howdeshell, Roth, Trott, MacKay, Jacklin. Also McIntyre and Dekoning did not dress, so I assume they are no longer in consideration.

Newhouse, McIntyre, DeKoning all got cut.

Same with Jamer and Scrivens at forward, plus Clark, Grace, Benham, Foster, Silenu and Macklin on defense.

Training camp winding down for Greyhounds - SooToday.com

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The other option in net is Dougie Newhouse. Although he is a '99 like Villalta, he is almost definitely back for an OA year next year. If they like Dougie and aren't sure about any of their younger options, he would give them an extra year to develop their next crop of goalies. They could deal TJ, but Matty would fetch a lot more...

If they dealt Matty, they would also have to deal another OA (likely a defenseman either Hollowell or Sambrook).

Looks like they were not impressed with him. He was also somewhat of an enigma, but I guess he was a solid #3 goalie for the past few years. Looks like he's passing those reins on to one of the better goalie prospects now. With both of the goalies gone by the end of this year, SSM is likely looking towards the future. Investing in Newhouse does not really give them much of a reward, and is not any more of a risk than investing in someone younger.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Newhouse, McIntyre, DeKoning all got cut.

Same with Jamer and Scrivens at forward, plus Clark, Grace, Benham, Foster, Silenu and Macklin on defense.

Training camp winding down for Greyhounds - SooToday.com
After pulling those names out of the roster, I am left with 6 goalies, 12 defense, and 27 forwards for the Annual Red & White game. Note: Mason Dreger went hard into the boards last night and sat out the rest of the game.

Matthew Villalta G
Tyler Johnson G
Kyle McNair G
Ethan Taylor G
Owen Porter G
Owen Parker G

Jordan Sambrook D
Mac Hollowell D
Anthony DeMeo D
Jacob LeGuerrier D
Phil Caron D
Ryan O'Rourke D
Robert Calisti D
Holden Wale D
Kobe Seguin D
Matt Halushak D
Cam McLean D
Cole McGuire D

Keeghan Howdeshell F
Morgan Frost F
Ryan Roth F
Barrett Hayton F
Joe Carroll F
Cole MacKay F
Zack Trott F
Brett Jacklin F
Rory Kerins F
Tye Kartye F
Cullen McLean F
Roman Pucek F
Declan Hilton F
Noah Boman F
Dan Ebrahim F
Dominic Mufarreh F
Jake Rauch F
Kalvyn Watson F
Nate Boomhower F
Caleb Wood F
Ryan Waltman F
Tyson Tomasini F
Connor Guest F
Mason Dreger F
Theo Todd F
Alex Johnston F
Finn Brown F
Alex Liparoti F

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
It seems odd that well after the 48 hour rule the Soo still have 6 goalies in camp.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It seems odd that well after the 48 hour rule the Soo still have 6 goalies in camp.
Doesn't seem that odd to me. Think about, 2 goalies in their last year, 4 young goalies all vying for a legitimate spot on the roster. After 48 hours they just have to cover their own costs to remain at training camp if they want to maintain NCAA eligibility. I can see 4 goalies all willing to do that, to get a shot at the spot.

Here is a link to a relevant faq.

richevansagent.com said:
A player may attend ONE expenses-paid major training camp for longer than 48 hours if:
  1. any compensation paid to the player in connection to the training camp is not more than actual and necessary expenses, and
  2. the player pays for additional expenses beyond the 48-hour period.

louis

Apr 3, 2014
Several of us think that they should keep 2 young goalies. Prepare for the future.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The 2003 and 2004 crop of goalies is much stronger than the 2002.
Parker is the only 2002 still at camp. Taylor and Porter are 2001 and McNair is 2000. Goalies typically develop late so don't be expecting a 2003 to waltz in next year and start right away. They still need to find someone reliable to bridge the gap.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Several of us think that they should keep 2 young goalies. Prepare for the future.

I think it's far more likely they end up keeping one and letting him back up either Villalta or Johnson. Move Johnson if a team is willing to pay something decent for him, but otherwise I would trade Villalta because he's going to get a boat load for sure.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I haven’t seen any of camp. Glad the team tweeted the scores, but how did everyone look? Tyia.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
So we now have a roster, I’m a little surprised Watson didn’t make the cut but other than that I’m not shocked with the roster. Here’s my opinion on the projected lineup;

Howdeshell-Frost-Roth
MacKay-Hayton-Pucek
Jacklin-Carroll-Trott
Kartye-Johnston-Kerins
(Mufarreh, MacLean)

DeMeo-Hollowell
O’Rourke-Sambrook
Calisti-LeGuerrier
Wale
(Caron)
***If Sandin is assigned to SSM he takes the #1 LD and everyone bumps down one***

Villalta
Taylor/Parker

I can see TJ moving asap for picks and possibly Wale/Caron if another team needs a depth Dman (especially if Sandin returns, they may trade off both).
Whichever goalie (Taylor/Parker) doesn’t make the initial cut I believe the hounds will try to get them to stay nearby (Thunderbirds?) and call them up IF they decide to trade Villalta (and others) at the deadline. With Parker being American and the risk of him being picked up by an NCAA school if he shines this season, it might be best to keep him immediately and ask Taylor to stay nearby.

With this group of players I believe the hounds will contend. I don’t have a problem with the D corps or goalies compared to the rest of the league, and the forwards are gonna cause a lot of trouble. Let’s hope everyone on the current roster returns and no one unexpectedly makes the N...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad