SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Director of Player Development Victor Carniero hired by the Leafs.

David Burstyn, scout, moved on to work with the Carolina Hurricanes. Hounds hockey personnel being plucked away by Dubas hiring and other related moves. Good on them all but a lot of change
The leafs and Dubas are taking some key pieces from the hounds not just players hope we can find some good scouts to replace what we lost or it is gonna be some long cold winters again

Reactions: HockeyPops

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Here is an article evaluating where Sandin might go based on that tweet.
Sandin was drafted to the NHL after playing the season for the Greyhounds. The way I understand the process that eliminates the Marlies as an option next year. It's either the NHL, Europe or the Soo. If drafted after playing his draft year in Europe then AHL is an option.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Any thoughts about trading Villalta before the start of the season and then using Johnson as your starter? He would be downgrade over Villalta, but he'd still be a solid starter who would keep SSM competitive and would be able to mentor a young backup. Villalta would generate a lot more interest and obviously get a lot more in return.

Originally I thought trade Johnson, but it seems like it'll be a rough go for SSM this year with teams like London around, so maximizing assets for the next wave would be the smarter move. Plus it'll be a lot tougher to get anything good for Johnson, and there are not many better OA's to occupy his spot than him anyways.

EDIT: That is assuming SSM trades one of Sambrook or Hollowell. I expect them to maximize assets by trading one of them. The other could be kept for veteran leadership, same with Howdeshell at forward and of course Johnson in net.

Last edited:

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Reviving an earlier discussion about World Juniors, I tend to align myself with PuckLife's thinking. Hayton's tenacious two-way style of play has to be extra appealing for Team Canada brass always struggling to find shutdown and pk lines. He was hands down the best greyhound in the post season. Couple that with going unexpectedly high in the draft this summer and he is now Team Canada's highest draft pick that might make the roster. I can't see any scenario short of serious injury where Hayton DOESN'T crack the team.

Inversely, Frost and Villalta's stock is heading in the wrong direction. Both are coming off a mediocre playoffs in which had either of them excelled as per their regular season we very well might have seen the greyhounds into the Memorial Cup. I think they are both currently on the outside looking in, but both could potentially play themselves back onto the team with a stellar fall campaign.

Here is an article from The Hockey Writers two weeks ago speaking to many of these same points.

Personally i'm still pissed with some of the team and don't think their NOT making the Memorial Cup was not as much on those 2 as much as the drinking and partying by Katchouk, Raddysh, Frost and Noah Carroll. Out drinking and visibly hammered at The Canadian the night before Game 5 against Kitchener doesn't show any leadership and just wore the team down as the playoffs went along.

Persistant rumours about the partying and lack of discipline hounded the team and the coaching staffs inability to be able to suspend the worst of the lot just led that team down to where they unfortunately deserved to be....out with nothing to show for their great season's efforts!!

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Personally i'm still pissed with some of the team and don't think their NOT making the Memorial Cup was not as much on those 2 as much as the drinking and partying by Katchouk, Raddysh, Frost and Noah Carroll. Out drinking and visibly hammered at The Canadian the night before Game 5 against Kitchener doesn't show any leadership and just wore the team down as the playoffs went along.

Persistant rumours about the partying and lack of discipline hounded the team and the coaching staffs inability to be able to suspend the worst of the lot just led that team down to where they unfortunately deserved to be....out with nothing to show for their great season's efforts!!

They are called rumours for a reason. There were so many falsehoods being spread on this forum, I was really disappointed in our fans.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Personally i'm still pissed with some of the team and don't think their NOT making the Memorial Cup was not as much on those 2 as much as the drinking and partying by Katchouk, Raddysh, Frost and Noah Carroll.
Sorry - just to clarify...was Frost on your list of partiers, according to rumour? I hadn’t heard that, and given he’s younger, I’m a bit surprised.

Gohoundsgo

Oct 28, 2017
Any thoughts about trading Villalta before the start of the season and then using Johnson as your starter? He would be downgrade over Villalta, but he'd still be a solid starter who would keep SSM competitive and would be able to mentor a young backup. Villalta would generate a lot more interest and obviously get a lot more in return.

Originally I thought trade Johnson, but it seems like it'll be a rough go for SSM this year with teams like London around, so maximizing assets for the next wave would be the smarter move. Plus it'll be a lot tougher to get anything good for Johnson, and there are not many better OA's to occupy his spot than him anyways.

EDIT: That is assuming SSM trades one of Sambrook or Hollowell. I expect them to maximize assets by trading one of them. The other could be kept for veteran leadership, same with Howdeshell at forward and of course Johnson in net.

My thoughts are that Villalta will be traded either before Christmas break, or, if he makes the team, after the world juniors. Johnson finsishes the second half of the season as the starter, with either Newhouse or one of this years’ drafted goalies backing him up. Goalie practice is tomorrow afternoon, I’m looking forward to getting a look at Owen Parker. If he has skill to match his size, I’d bet on Johnson/Parker in the second half. A huge part of me wants Villalta to stay, but I am a realist and the club needs to stock the cupboards.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
nothing is certain as to what the hounds plans are for the season. Raftis should know by sometime in late November as to how he will handle this years
version of the hounds. To many unknowns to predict what the hounds should do. If all players that are eligible to return , actually do return the hounds
should have a very good team. Not the team that racked up a record number of points in the regular season like last season, but as we witnessed last
season, the playoffs and the regular season are totally different. Owen Sound or Kitchener could very well have beaten out the hounds prior to Hamilton
with a bounce here or there. Both series went to 7 games if you recall. This years version may have a good regular season and a great playoff run, who
knows. If we retain Frost ( has a chance to make the Flyers ) Hayton ( never know may stick with Arizona ) Sandin ( will he be sent back by Dubas if not now
but perhaps after the world Juniors ) Will Hollowell make the marlies ? These are going to be our core 4 players and if they all return perhaps Raftis adds
a piece or 2 . How well will import Pucek play ? These are answers that Raftis will know soon enough and if he sells off by the deadline that may be an
option as well to restock the cupboard. It may very well be based on what other teams look like at that point and which teams will try to load up. I am
sure London will with Mark Hunter back in the fold. Raftis will have to decide if the hounds can compete come the second half of the year !

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Watched some of training camp today. Of the non returning goalies I thought McNair, Dekoning and Parker looked good. From the defensemen not on last years' team I liked Calisti, O'Rourke, and Benham. From the new forward group I liked Pucek, Dreger, Kerins, and Brown.

Interested to hear the thoughts of others.

Edit: changed Porter to Parker - mixed them up probably won't be the last time!

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Sandin was drafted to the NHL after playing the season for the Greyhounds. The way I understand the process that eliminates the Marlies as an option next year. It's either the NHL, Europe or the Soo. If drafted after playing his draft year in Europe then AHL is an option.
I haven't heard of this, and since every article I've read mentions the Marlies I am going to assume it's incorrect unless you can support it with a reference.

Here is a link to an article that describes it like this:
TheHockeyWriters said:
Since Sandin was on loan to the Greyhounds from SHL club Rögle BK, he’s not subject to the NHL/CHL agreement that prohibits teenagers from going directly to the AHL. Sandin could be assigned to the 2018 Calder Cup champion Toronto Marlies if the Leafs feel that’s best for his development.

Edit: added link and excerpt

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Interesting article from 5 days ago about Morgan Frost's chances of cracking the flyers lineup. Mentions Raddysh and Sandin likely to be back in the Soo (?) Makes me wonder how well informed this author is?

Here is another article from earlier this month that has Raddysh playing for the Syracuse Crunch this year.

Edit: added link to second article.

Last edited:

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Raddysh won’t be back 100%.
I’ve seen things like this suggested many times (Gettinger, Kopacka, etc). MOST of the time once a player signs his ELC and finishes his “19” year he’s gone from the CHL. We saw that last season with Colton White. He could have been a #1 Dman and overages but NJ preferred to have him up and down the ECHL and AHL (barely). It’s very unlikely anyone returns to the CHL for an overage season if they’re signed. Hollowell is exactly that this season (Not sure if he’s on an ELC or just draft property for a year), however that’s more because the OHL and NHL don’t have the same cut off date for a player’s “age”. Hollowell is in his 20 (overage OHL season) but only 19 based on his NHL draft year. Timmins is in the same boat as Hollowell, but the two aren’t exactly comparable skill wise (no offense to Hollowell), which is why Timmins won’t come back. Raddysh/Gettinger/Kopacka are 20, signed and can compete in the AHL right away.

If the young kids (Jacklin, MacKay, Roth, O’Rourke, Calisti, LeGuerrier, etc) can take the appropriate steps forward with their development I think the Hounds will compete. If the kids need more time I believe they will sell in December (DeMeo, Hollowell, Sambrook, Frost, Howdeshell, Hayton, Villalta).

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Watched the Red vs. Black scrimmage tonight @ 5pm. Ignoring returning players, liked the following:
Nolan Dekoning (G)
Kyle McNair (G)
Cullen McLean (F)
Dominic Mufarreh (F)
Justin Jamer (F)
Dan Ebrahim (F)
Rory Kerins (F)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Hollowell is exactly that this season (Not sure if he’s on an ELC or just draft property for a year)
Thank you for this post, and in particular this quote. It was the missing piece in my understanding of who comes back for an overage year. Both Sambrook and Hollowell are drafted but have not signed an ELC (according to CapFriendly), hence their overage year. Johnson and Howdeshell are of course undrafted hence their overage year.

Reactions: Marj44

houndtastic

Apr 16, 2016
He was only loaned by rogle to the soo last year so he can still play in the AHL

houndtastic

Apr 16, 2016
If the kids need more time I believe they will sell in December (DeMeo, Hollowell, Sambrook, Frost, Howdeshell, Hayton, Villalta).[/QUOTE]

Although i could defiantely see hounds sell depending on how first half plays out i dont think hayton would be traded since he would have another year of NHL or junior as only options in his 19y/o season unless they feel he wont be back next year ala thomas from london to hamilton last year.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Looks like the roster is starting to shake out. Cullen McLean and Tye Kartye look to have signed if the fresh numbers sported on their helmets are any indication. That means only 3 spots remain assuming Pucek (import) gets a spot. I put my front runners in brackets for the remaining spots:

Centers:
Frost
Hayton
Kerins
Kartye
McLean

Wingers:
Howdeshell
Carroll
Roth
Trott
MacKay
Jacklin
Pucek
? (Dreger?)
? (Jamer/Mufarreh/Ebrahim?)

Defense:
Sambrook
Hollowell
Demeo
Leguerrier
O'Rourke
Caron
Wale
? (Sandin/Calisti?)

Goalies:
Villalta
Johnson

We are quite deep on defense and quite old in net. Spots may still open up there if any trades are made. Or if any players make NHL rosters then spots open up.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Looks like the roster is starting to shake out. Cullen McLean and Tye Kartye look to have signed if the fresh numbers sported on their helmets are any indication. That means only 3 spots remain assuming Pucek (import) gets a spot. I put my front runners in brackets for the remaining spots:

Centers:
Frost
Hayton
Kerins
Kartye
McLean

Wingers:
Howdeshell
Carroll
Roth
Trott
MacKay
Jacklin
Pucek
? (Dreger?)
? (Jamer/Mufarreh/Ebrahim?)

Defense:
Sambrook
Hollowell
Demeo
Leguerrier
O'Rourke
Caron
Wale
? (Sandin/Calisti?)

Goalies:
Villalta
Johnson

We are quite deep on defense and quite old in net. Spots may still open up there if any trades are made. Or if any players make NHL rosters then spots open up.

I am fairly sure Kartye was already signed last year, but it went totally unnoticed. Like not announced by anyone, including the Greyhounds, because he probably was not going to play with them last year. Interesting to see McLean get a shot though. It's always cool to see those 15th round picks make it.

Also remember that one of those OA's is going to have to be dealt. I think it'll be one of the defensemen. Plus SSM may decide to bring in some guys from other teams too. Unless they really want to rely upon prospects.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I am fairly sure Kartye was already signed last year, but it went totally unnoticed. Like not announced by anyone, including the Greyhounds, because he probably was not going to play with them last year. Interesting to see McLean get a shot though. It's always cool to see those 15th round picks make it.

Also remember that one of those OA's is going to have to be dealt. I think it'll be one of the defensemen. Plus SSM may decide to bring in some guys from other teams too. Unless they really want to rely upon prospects.
Kartye did not sign with the team last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad