SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameTime

Oct 25, 2017
I agree Guelph will be in the west final, but Saginaw is no dark horse. They are deep and will win the west. The concern for Kitchener is they play very physical and they will look to take out a few players in the first game of a Greyhound-Ranger first round matchup.

Reactions: three dog night

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Jacobs 6-0 keep it going boys

I'm a Jacobs fan and am obviously rooting for him, but this has been the same story the last few years. Comes out of the gate hot, then it starts to blow up at the end of the round robin just before the playoffs. Hopefully he can keep it together all tournament this time.

Reactions: OHLfan200

GameTime

Oct 25, 2017
Missed the game, but a tough loss tonight against Sudbury. Something needs to change. What is wrong?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
It's hard to recall a more embarrassing stretch of Greyhounds hockey in the past several seasons. Our work ethic has disappeared and the timing couldn't be much worse.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Villalta really kept you guys in it tonight. That was probably the worst I've seen the Greyhounds live in years...which includes all 15-ish games I went to when I lived in SSM during the 15-16 season.

Oh well, better to get it out of your system now before the playoffs. The Sudbury v SSM OHL final dream is still alive!

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
At this point I'd rather drop to 4th so we get the easiest team of the big 4 in the 2nd round.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Missed the game, but a tough loss tonight against Sudbury. Something needs to change. What is wrong?
We are playing like a very tired team. We have a small team compared to the other top teams in the league and the long season and all the travel we do has caught up to us. Hayton loss is huge, PP PK and have to juggle lines. No panic yet, but getting close.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
One word for ya
HAYTON
Watched this game and missing Hayton hurts you guys.
I'm sure others closer to this may not agree with me but the Soo not buying at the trade deadline has shown as well. Soo are a good team but others made moves to improve and that makes it harder to keep pace with them.
Also find that Soo likes to whip the good horse - Frost and others typically play 8 to 10 minutes a period especially in the 3rd and this wears on the top players. This will really come to play in the playoffs - most teams will up the game play in the playoffs but Soo seems to do this all year and they look tired already. Travel for the Soo is certainly an issue but they have been home for the last few games and the short trip to Sudbury is no more than what other teams do to play games. So for last night travel is not really a factor. Ok go ahead and beat me up:)

Reactions: HockeyPops

Sleemans99

Nov 25, 2018
Agree a lot with OHL Outsider thoughts on the game. Frost and Hollewell seemed to be on the ice all the time. Hollewell is such a great skater what a treat it is to watch him wheel around the ice.

Tonight not their night. Sudbury outworked them and got their cycle game going and the smaller Soo players could not cope. Shot total was inflated somewhat as the Wolves did a lot of jamming at the net, but that is also part of the fact that Soo were outmuscled could not stop them going to the net.

Just a thought on his comment on travel. Soo to sudbury is 4 hours, not a short trip. That is like saying Sarnia to Oshawa is a short trip, Windsor to Niagara is a short trip. For the Soo there are really no short trips.

GameTime

Oct 25, 2017
One word for ya
HAYTON

I agree Hayton being out is huge, but we won multiple games during his last injury and during the IIHF. I expected the tap in and junk goals would be tough to find if Hayton is not creating offense and requiring double team defense, but something else is missing besides Hayton.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
At this point I'd rather drop to 4th so we get the easiest team of the big 4 in the 2nd round.

Either Saginaw or London is going to win the conference... no guarantees as to which team it's going to be. If you finish 3rd or 4th then you will play one of the "easier" teams in the second round regardless...provided that the top 4 all win their first round series

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Agree a lot with OHL Outsider thoughts on the game. Frost and Hollewell seemed to be on the ice all the time. Hollewell is such a great skater what a treat it is to watch him wheel around the ice.

Tonight not their night. Sudbury outworked them and got their cycle game going and the smaller Soo players could not cope. Shot total was inflated somewhat as the Wolves did a lot of jamming at the net, but that is also part of the fact that Soo were outmuscled could not stop them going to the net.

Just a thought on his comment on travel. Soo to sudbury is 4 hours, not a short trip. That is like saying Sarnia to Oshawa is a short trip, Windsor to Niagara is a short trip. For the Soo there are really no short trips.
Travel distance from Soo to Sudbury is 3 hours 28 minutes per Google. Travel distance from Windsor to Niagara is 3 hours 42 minutes per Google. This trip is very similar to what other teams travel for a game. I'm not trying to say Soo has an easy travel schedule because they do not - but this one game it was not the case.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Yeah having driven it a million times, I've done Sault to Sudbury in as little as just under 3, but typically in 3:15 with one 5 minute stop and doing approx 15-over (105 for the most part) the whole way. Really not that long a trip IMO, and considering the length of the road trips our teams typically have it should feel like nothing at all.

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
I'm not buying into travel legs. We were beat by a very good team. Combine that with the effort our Hounds put forward, and the result showed in the stats. Looking at the standings, I'm not so sure where I'd prefer to end up. There are alot of teams that would trade places with us at hosting the 1st round at home (even with our recent struggles). It's never a safe bet to get through the 1st round. Pressure always on the higher seed. And watch out if the top 4 advance to the 2nd round. Wow. Cant begin to think of the matchups. It sure does not look good right now, but I'm looking forward (once again) to cheer on my beloved Greyhounds for the remaining 5 games (4 of them at home) AND as far as they'll go into the playoffs. 1st round opponents could clear itself up as early by mid week, next week. Playoffs are a different beast. We all know there are several good teams out there and only 1 will come out on top. Go Hounds!

Reactions: Lycanthrope

GameTime

Oct 25, 2017

Something needs to change or the Hounds will likely go 1-4 over their last five games and drop into fourth. Guessing OHL Outsider is right about ice time and maybe is time to switch up the lines. Same stuff occurred in early Nov and they dropped four straight games against some weak teams. Dean's interview comment, Unacceptable. Being outshot more than 2 to 1, 17 shots for an entire game, 0/4 on the power play, and nothing to show for a minute + 5 on 3 power play. Maybe insanity is a better word unless some changes are made. O'Rourke gets some form of a free pass as a rookie (5), but only LeGuerrier (32) and Sambrook (37) have a solid +/- Last season five defensemen had a +/- of 35 or better.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Leafs fan here
Hollowell just signed to an ELC. I know he has been amazing offensively based on his numbers, and is a great skater.
How would you guys rate his defensive game?
Also he is an overager, so it makes fans cautious. Is it making the numbers a little better then they are, or is it an invalid argument and he is just a good player?

Reactions: PuckLife

SuperMod

Nov 6, 2018
Something needs to change or the Hounds will likely go 1-4 over their last five games and drop into fourth. Guessing OHL Outsider is right about ice time and maybe is time to switch up the lines. Same stuff occurred in early Nov and they dropped four straight games against some weak teams. Dean's interview comment, Unacceptable. Being outshot more than 2 to 1, 17 shots for an entire game, 0/4 on the power play, and nothing to show for a minute + 5 on 3 power play. Maybe insanity is a better word unless some changes are made. O'Rourke gets some form of a free pass as a rookie (5), but only LeGuerrier (32) and Sambrook (37) have a solid +/- Last season five defensemen had a +/- of 35 or better.
Perhaps overusing Hollowell and Sambrook and a some of the forward's (Frost, Hayton) is finally catching up to team? I thought when we were winning or playing weaker teams earlier in the season,some of these guys could have been rested.

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
the Gens are 16-3-2 since the deadline

Ottawa and London are the 2 best teams in the league, so admitting they're better and taking those games out, the Gens are 16-0-2 post-deadline against the other 17 teams.

Imagine how good their record would be if they weren't slow and bad! 17-0-1 instead of 16-0-2???

:laugh:
Beg to differ, Guelph will destroy London in the playoffs. Ottawa, Guelph final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad