SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
So the complaint is that the goalie who was outshot 34 26 but still posted a shut out to close out the series on the road, earning first star, flipped the net after the game? Have seen that done many times before.

Meanwhile the goalie at the other end let in 4 on 25 shots. If Sault had Spirit goaltending you would be moving on in this series in 6.

Now if he made an obscene gesture as you are alleging, the league will deal with it I am sure. I hope he did not as that would have been incredibly stupid.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
So the complaint is that the goalie who was outshot 34 26 but still posted a shut out to close out the series on the road, earning first star, flipped the net after the game? Have seen that done many times before.

Meanwhile the goalie at the other end let in 4 on 25 shots. If Sault had Spirit goaltending you would be moving on in this series in 6.

Now if he made an obscene gesture as you are alleging, the league will deal with it I am sure. I hope he did not as that would have been incredibly stupid.

hes tossed the net over in many rinks, rarely is it made into an issue.

Reactions: LR8

BPFox

Nov 21, 2014
Really nice how prosvetov flipped the net at the end.. wow really

Would it help to know that he always tips the goal down after a shutout. It's a very simple celebration of the shutout as if to say. This goal is closed for the night. It's not an "in your face" kind of celebration, it's just something he does. It's a goalie thing. He has done that after every shutout this season. He does it at home. He does it on the road. It's his thing.

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
Given that Sambrook, Hollowell, Howdeshell, Frost, Villalta, and MAYBE Hayton will be moving on who from this roster do you think the Hounds will seriously looking at moving/trading for next year?
I would think Jacklin, Pucek, Calisti and Roth. Roth disappeared last year in the playoffs and did likewise this year. The other 3 listed here were mostly healthy scratches and first year players like Kartye and Johnson played ahead of them.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Given that Sambrook, Hollowell, Howdeshell, Frost, Villalta, and MAYBE Hayton will be moving on who from this roster do you think the Hounds will seriously looking at moving/trading for next year?

I believe we need a goalie. It's not a slight against Taylor, I just don't believe he's ready to play 40+ games. If hayton returns I hope we can flip him to restock. It will be interesting to see if we can rebuild in time to make a run around O'Rourke.

Reactions: hounds72

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
I totally agree with DWI Dale that if Hayton returns, we need to trade him at the deadline to restock our cupboards.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
I hope Owen Parker can come in and help solidify the G position for the Hounds. Unless there’s a 19-20 year old out there who can help Parker and Taylor and help mentor them?

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Flipped bird. Flipped net. Flipped script.

All kind of ties together.

Congrats to Saginaw.

Hounds somehow made it a series with a six-watt power play. Key players were burnt-out by a short bench.

If you removed Hayton, Howdeshell, Frost and Hollowell from the lineup the PP should still produce more than it did.

The team exceeded expectations, sure.

But the staff didn't raise the level of play, so much as they raised questions about the series and next season.

A team should look better, be better, in March/April than October/November.

Instead, team seemed to stall, even regress the final four weeks.

A lot of players, players who represent the future, should have got more minutes.

You hope the staff looks in the mirror and accepts they have to be better, smarter.

Didn't lose the series due to inexperience, bad bounces, or because the opponent was clearly better.

It's another series that the program found a way to lose.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Flipped bird. Flipped net. Flipped script.

All kind of ties together.

Congrats to Saginaw.

Hounds somehow made it a series with a six-watt power play. Key players were burnt-out by a short bench.

If you removed Hayton, Howdeshell, Frost and Hollowell from the lineup the PP should still produce more than it did.

The team exceeded expectations, sure.

But the staff didn't raise the level of play, so much as they raised questions about the series and next season.

A team should look better, be better, in March/April than October/November.

Instead, team seemed to stall, even regress the final four weeks.

A lot of players, players who represent the future, should have got more minutes.

You hope the staff looks in the mirror and accepts they have to be better, smarter.

Didn't lose the series due to inexperience, bad bounces, or because the opponent was clearly better.

It's another series that the program found a way to lose.
Really? This team overachieved finishing 4th overall in the league. They lost in 6 games to the team that finished 3rd overall .Not bad. At the beginning of the year most people would never expect such a great season.
As for the trade deadline, Raftis got great return on Demeo and paid little for a nice addition in Peca.
I am sure he explored the option of trading our elite guys , but only if reasonable returns were possible.
The roster is really young. Gaston and possibly Vilalta as an OA will most likely be back. LA has many goalies, so who knows. With Pytlick, Hayton, Trott,Johnston, Kartye, McKay, and other young talent in the import draft(guessing only Pytlick back) plus our other young players it may be more of a reload than rebuild.

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
I would think Jacklin, Pucek, Calisti and Roth. Roth disappeared last year in the playoffs and did likewise this year. The other 3 listed here were mostly healthy scratches and first year players like Kartye and Johnson played ahead of them.

Hayton will be in Phoenix next season, a lost opportunity for the Hounds. Guessing those who wanted trades done prior to the Jan deadline were right. Jacklin had very limited ice time this season and so did Pucek. I'd be surprised if either one want to return. Roth was simply never played in the playoffs this season. Why, who knows. Being a rookie on a stacked team makes sense to me, but this year was puzzling. Just looked at the SOO website and was surprised at the stats. Kartye and Carroll had 3pts, Johnson and Mackay had 4pts, Roth had 3pts and I barely remember him being on the ice. I feel losing a 20+ goals scorer would be a big loss for the Hounds this coming season because no one left on the roster is going to carry the load lost by the graduating class. We need to take advantage of getting very good OA players. Either way, interesting comments from you.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Really? This team overachieved finishing 4th overall in the league. They lost in 6 games to the team that finished 3rd overall .Not bad. At the beginning of the year most people would never expect such a great season.
As for the trade deadline, Raftis got great return on Demeo and paid little for a nice addition in Peca.
I am sure he explored the option of trading our elite guys , but only if reasonable returns were possible.
The roster is really young. Gaston and possibly Vilalta as an OA will most likely be back. LA has many goalies, so who knows. With Pytlick, Hayton, Trott,Johnston, Kartye, McKay, and other young talent in the import draft(guessing only Pytlick back) plus our other young players it may be more of a reload than rebuild.

I'm referencing how the team looked and played down the stretch and into the playoffs.

I don't care that we didn't add guys at the deadline, it wasn't the year to do that.

By the time the deadline arrived, the market to sell had dried up. Not much could be done about that. Not overly tough to accept.

But the coach over-played the vets. They were gassed.

The PP was inexcusably bad. It's not September. The PP units looked like it was, though, and didn't seem to have a clue.

We sure as heck did not play like a team with its back to the wall last night.

So, yes, really.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
I believe we need a goalie. It's not a slight against Taylor, I just don't believe he's ready to play 40+ games. If hayton returns I hope we can flip him to restock. It will be interesting to see if we can rebuild in time to make a run around O'Rourke.

Need a goalie because current starter is not good enough? Do you really think he will be playing pro next year? I do not see that happening.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Need a goalie because current starter is not good enough? Do you really think he will be playing pro next year? I do not see that happening.

Arizona is kind of notorious for bringing in their 1st round picks early. Chychrun, Strome, etc. all played relatively early. In fact, Strome was kind of late relatively.

I think Hayton, because he can play a solid defensive game, will be able to handle a job and for Arizona, that is enough. If it were the Leafs, he'd be in SSM next year.

Techno Viking

Mar 28, 2018
Who cares what Popov did. I was at game. Didn't notice. I noticed a soo fan chirping Saginaw fans at end. I didn't care for that. Game over. Stay classy.

Reactions: The Howler

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Not looking overly optimistic for next season for the hounds in the western conference. I can see the hounds back to the good old days
of fighting to making the playoffs. They will be in a battle all season long for the 7th to 10th spot in the western conference.
We have been blessed the last 5-6 seasons here in hound town with some very good hockey teams with some great regular season point
totals. However, next year could be a different story : I can not see the hounds competing with the top 7 teams.
1) London
2) Kitchener
3) Owen Sound
4) Erie
5) Windsor
6) Sarnia
7) Flint
The hounds will battle Guelph and Saginaw for the final playoff spot in the conference is my prediction.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Not looking overly optimistic for next season for the hounds in the western conference. I can see the hounds back to the good old days
of fighting to making the playoffs. They will be in a battle all season long for the 7th to 10th spot in the western conference.
We have been blessed the last 5-6 seasons here in hound town with some very good hockey teams with some great regular season point
totals. However, next year could be a different story : I can not see the hounds competing with the top 7 teams.
1) London
2) Kitchener
3) Owen Sound
4) Erie
5) Windsor
6) Sarnia
7) Flint
The hounds will battle Guelph and Saginaw for the final playoff spot in the conference is my prediction.
I predict Sarnia and Erie will still be near the bottom next year. Their draft boards are weak enough they may want to continue making moves (selling) to strengthen them. Guelph will have to sell off next year (along with Niagara). They were all in this year with no other option for next season.

I see us finishing 5-7 next season. Top 4 would be London, Kitchener, Windsor, Flint. 5-7 would be Sault, Saginaw, Owen Sound. 8-10 would be Sarnia, Erie, Guelph.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Like last year, everyone laughed at me. Next year again, we will be in the top 4 in the conference. Book mark this post, do whatever you want .. Raftis and company continue to bring in talent in every possible way. Hayton is 50/50 to come back, Phoenix almost made the playoffs, next year their goal is to make it...bringing in a 19 year old rookie center is not usually a team pushing for the next level will do. Pytlik and O'Rourke are both potential 1st rounders next year.. plus alot of young returning talent with a decent playoff push in their back pocket. We didn't sell off futures to make a run this year. We are fine hands folks, enjoy the summer .. training camp will be here before we know it.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Like last year, everyone laughed at me. Next year again, we will be in the top 4 in the conference. Book mark this post, do whatever you want .. Raftis and company continue to bring in talent in every possible way. Hayton is 50/50 to come back, Phoenix almost made the playoffs, next year their goal is to make it...bringing in a 19 year old rookie center is not usually a team pushing for the next level will do. Pytlik and O'Rourke are both potential 1st rounders next year.. plus alot of young returning talent with a decent playoff push in their back pocket. We didn't sell off futures to make a run this year. We are fine hands folks, enjoy the summer .. training camp will be here before we know it.

Nobody laughed at that, we all thought the same thing.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I
I'm referencing how the team looked and played down the stretch and into the playoffs.

I don't care that we didn't add guys at the deadline, it wasn't the year to do that.

Imo we didn't look as good down the stretch because the other contenders got better at the deadline while the hounds continued to roll the same 6 skaters + Matty. We were too inexperienced and too burnt out to stand a chance.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Go peak back in the OHL predictions I should have specified, not on the Greyhound board but in the OHL general topic section.

The average OHL fan usually expects a down year after a big run, but I don't think they are aware of how well we draft. The Greyhounds don't have up and down cycles like every other team as evidenced by our 6 consecutive years in the second round or better.

This is going to be an interesting offseason for Raftis with some surplus players and room for 2 OA's. I expect him to make an addition on defense and perhaps in the crease. I agree that we will again get a home playoff seed and perhaps win the division. Windsor should be our biggest competition.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
The average OHL fan usually expects a down year after a big run, but I don't think they are aware of how well we draft. The Greyhounds don't have up and down cycles like every other team as evidenced by our 6 consecutive years in the second round or better.

This is going to be an interesting offseason for Raftis with some surplus players and room for 2 OA's. I expect him to make an addition on defense and perhaps in the crease. I agree that we will again get a home playoff seed and perhaps win the division. Windsor should be our biggest competition.
I agree. A reload more than a rebuild. Add one import, two OA's,may be a free agent or two. Hayton will be here. Possibly Vilalta. Top 4 in the conference is possible.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
If all the players we had expectations for arriving actually did last year, no doubt in my mind we would have been heavy favorite for the OHL. Rasmus Sanding, Rasmus Kupari along with Hayton Frost is a potential 5 NHL 1st rounders just to start... Some didn't show so what did Raftis do? His back up plan was Pytlik.. another kid who is likely to go in the first 2 rounds next year and a player no one expected to show up. Dubas and now Raftis are doing a great job making the Sault a destination to develop and get into the pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->