GDT: sprong vs hawk 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
Time will tell with Sprong. It's important to play him to his strengths. Looks like they're plugging him into the Kase spot. I still don't think we play the right way but at least we're scoring some goals. Getting Perry back later will be like a trade deadline addition.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
sprong is clueless on D but hey, i'll take it if it means some help on offense. let's see if he can keep it up

hopefully its one of those things where a change of scenery is all he needs

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I’m mixed on Sprong. He can skate and has a shot, but he seems too eager to go 1 on 5. That play where he brought it back started off okay, but then he skates past his teammates cand carried it back in and took a low percentage shot. What the...?

And Kase can't be dropped to the 4th line.

John

Reactions: Paul4587

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I’m mixed on Sprong. He can skate and has a shot, but he seems too eager to go 1 on 5. That play where he brought it back started off okay, but then he skates past his teammates cand carried it back in and took a low percentage shot. What the...?

John

You mean the kind of thing Rakell does 2-3 times a game?

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

John

To be fair and IIRC, he received a crappy pass when he was in a clear spot for a breakaway. That's when he turned it back as opposed to just dumping it around the boards(RC was probably fuming) and turned back subsequently "wheeling it up". At that point, at least I knew he was going to go full Rakell and just fire it at the net or try to dangle the D. It was meh at that point. It was absolutely a low percentage shot, but IMO it was exactly what I would've expected out of a goal scorer first mentality play and was actually a pretty safe play at that point in the game.

Offensively, I think a majority of Pitt fans understated his game and tried to pigeon hole state that he is a shooter only and has a low overall hockey IQ that doesn't use his teammates (there were definitely some that said that he has underrated playmaking abilities and a majority referenced the less than advantageous positions that he was consistently put in). That absolutely was not the case tonight, if anything he was too quick, creative, and thinking steps ahead of his linemates. He made a couple of beautiful quick 5-10 foot perfect passes that his teammates completely whiffed on because they weren't prepared to receive the pass. He also created space for himself by finding soft spots multiple times tonight. Defensively, he tried/s and you can see that which was as advertised. There were a couple of times that he went swimming with his stick, and it appears evident that he dislikes that side of the game, but that also was advertised. Yes, sample size.

Gibson looked and played disinterested the entire game. Was still solid though, what an incredible steal if he stays healthy.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
You mean the kind of thing Rakell does 2-3 times a game?

Damn, you beat me! Anyhow, I'm completely fine with players like Rakell, Sprong, Kase, etc. doing that 2-3 times a game. Most of the time those don't turn in to odd man rushes and it's important that the team showcases that ability to help back off the defense throughout the game. Dumping it in every time makes it way too easy for NHL teams to defend, you need some at least perceived threat to mix it up.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Yes like Rakell does 2-3 times a game,which usually is a 1 on 2-5 and results giving the puck away. And no I don’t like the constant dump and chase.

But I can’t recall a forward carrying the puck out of the offensive zone, all the way back into the d zone and then back in while the rest of the team was waiting for some pass or at least setting up some organized entry into the zone. It seemed pretty bizarre, especially for a first game with a new team.

John

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
sprong is clueless on D but hey, i'll take it if it means some help on offense. let's see if he can keep it up

hopefully its one of those things where a change of scenery is all he needs

In fairness, most 21 year-olds are clueless on D. If he can grow into a player who is average on D but scores 30 goals I think we'll all be very happy.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I'll always enjoy the Hawks being an awful hockey team. 5 wins in a row.....not really sure how we've managed that.

Also I know it's not going to happen, but those jerseys should be our primary going forward - they look great on the ice and it's a unique colour scheme in the NHL, so much better then our current colour scheme and jerseys.

Reactions: GiveYouABagOfPucks

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
...surely that means he didn't play well, if he let in weak goals? :laugh:
Haha I knew someone would say that. Crawford's performance last night reminded me of Andersen.. outside of maybe one soft goal per game, you'd otherwise expect solid goaltending.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Kase on the fourth line generated 6 shots, scored a goal and only played two fewer minutes than our top line guys.

I don’t think it hurt him much to play there. People are getting way too caught up in the ranking of the lines. This team is running four pretty balanced lines.

I get that but consider who he is playing with?

Rowney and Sherwood
Vs
Kesler and silf

I Kase would be able to generate a hell of a lot more offense with Kesler and silf than the 4th line guys.

Also it would help us defensively since kase can make plays he would keep the other team honest.

4th line would be pure grind, but I think that’s ok if the other 3 lines can generate offfense reliably.

Right now it feels like we have 2 lines that can score and 2 lines that are lucky too.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
FYI we are testing out a new forum feature called Live Threads. New posts will continuously pop in like a constant feed so you can follow along without refreshing.

If you'd like to try it, join the usergroup here:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/account/join-user-groups

It will only affect a few specific threads at this time like this GDT.

Let @SniperHF know if you run into any problems with it.

Unrelated to the game and IDK how others felt about this, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly for the compatibility with mobile devices. Good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad