GDT: sprong vs hawk 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Ugly end to the game for #11, clear that he is, uh, not a defensive stalwart but it was good to see Randy reward him with some important minutes for the game that he played. His skill is terrific though, sorely needed a player of his caliber.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
i think the scouting report on sprong is bang on...he is a 1 way player, hope he can develop on the d side of the puck because he is the type of player that if isnt providing any offense, then you dont want him on the ice...has some good skill though

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
i think the scouting report on sprong is bang on...he is a 1 way player, hope he can develop on the d side of the puck because he is the type of player that if isnt providing any offense, then you dont want him on the ice...has some good skill though
He's a rookie. I'm sure that he will improve. His games aren't all going to be like this one. Patience is going to be a virtue with this kid.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ugly end to the game for #11, clear that he is, uh, not a defensive stalwart but it was good to see Randy reward him with some important minutes for the game that he played. His skill is terrific though, sorely needed a player of his caliber.
Sprong isn't for lacking with his work ethic. You can see in this game, he tries to come back, he just needs better direction, but you don't get a player like Sprong and nit pick about his defensive play, he's average at best in that regard and that's fine.

What you saw of him offensively, is what we wanted to see him do more of in Pittsburgh but he was never given a full game with a player of Henrique's caliber. We all wanted to see him with Malkin, or even with Brassard for a longer stretch but it barely if ever, happened.

You play him to his strengths and you're going to love the kid and the rest will come, as it does with prospects with the kind of raw talent that he has.

His shot, his playmaking, his speed are all the kinds of things that will make him elite if he grows that confidence. The defensive side of his game will come. It's what our moron of a coach never understood and why guys like Kessel are now likely on the outs as well (rumors abound!).

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

WinJiggysLoft

Feb 11, 2018
Hope Sprong and Kase share bunk beds on road trips. “I forgot to ask, do you like guacamole?!”

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Spring has such good stickhandling that defenders give him extra space just like Kane or Getzlaf. He is not great off the pucks whether on offense or defense. Needs to play with a good skilled center like Henrique to learn to play off the puck a little better but his skill, speed shot are all there. Also has some nice creativity that I was seeing.

First game is first game. Let's see if he can keep this up for awhile. Henrique is the same way so hopefully they dont slow down together.

Kase definitely drove that line tonight. Very impressive. Ritchie is actually a good player for us now. I'm glad to eat crow on this one. I never though he had the speed for the NHL but totally looks fine now and wins loose pucks.

We kind of sort of have 4 lines now. Not 4 great lines but 4 lines that can score a little. Maybe throw in one or two of our rookies later in the year and we could have some great depth. Crazy to think we picked up Aberg and Sprong and only lost Petterson.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Just got home from the game.
Man, Sprong made me excited every time he got the puck. The guy can absolutely rip it, and he made a couple nice passes throughout the game as well. Yes, I'll agree with some posters that he doesn't seem to be sure of what he's doing in the defensive zone, but you can't say he wasn't working his butt off. He was skating hard the whole night.
Other than that, I just have to say that the Cogliano-Kesler-Silfverberg line needs to end. Please put Cogs on the 4th and move Kase back up. That line just doesn't work anymore. Also, I liked what I saw from Mahura and Dotchin tonight. They didn't play a ton, but they looked good when they were out there.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Mahura definitely has a future here. For a first year pro, the guy is solid and holds his own. I expect him to only get better

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Also, I didn't see it mentioned here, but I was behind the Ducks' bench and I saw Rakell go to the locker room with a couple minutes left after getting tangled up at center ice with a Hawk player. I have no idea if it was bad or not (he walked to the tunnel under his own power), but clearly something was bothering him. I guess it's possible it was an equipment issue, but it seemed like some kind of injury.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Also, I didn't see it mentioned here, but I was behind the Ducks' bench and I saw Rakell go to the locker room with a couple minutes left after getting tangled up at center ice with a Hawk player. I have no idea if it was bad or not (he walked to the tunnel under his own power), but clearly something was bothering him. I guess it's possible it was an equipment issue, but it seemed like some kind of injury.

Knee buckled under his body. Didn’t look good, but got up quickly.

Last edited:

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Also, at the risk of jinxing it, the anniversary of the glorious day that he received his wings and flew out of the underworld to join the flock (as we fly together) must have bequeathed some inspiration on our beloved Uncle Rico and swung the pendulum back to the positive. Points in 6 straight for him.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Mahura definitely has a future here. For a first year pro, the guy is solid and holds his own. I expect him to only get better

Mahura is very good in both ends. He’s going to be a stud. Makes sense why other teams were trying to trade for him.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Ducks had three lines that looked dangerous tonight. Kase was a dervish out there. Thanks Pittsburgh for Sprong (and Rowney). Thought the Dotchin/Mahura pair was fine. RC needs to get over the "shutdown line" thing. Because it's no longer a good thing.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

I was at the game too so only got one look, but I think it was some interference from Toews to prevent a 2 on 1 and his leg got bent up underneath awkwardly.

There were some blatant penalties on Chicago that weren't called at the end of the game, but that's to be expected for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->