GDT: sprong vs hawk 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
So in your opinion guys, how has this team managed to stop hemmhoraging shots against? Like the shot disparity in the recent games has been normal... What’s changed?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I get that but consider who he is playing with?

Rowney and Sherwood
Vs
Kesler and silf

I Kase would be able to generate a hell of a lot more offense with Kesler and silf than the 4th line guys.

Also it would help us defensively since kase can make plays he would keep the other team honest.

4th line would be pure grind, but I think that’s ok if the other 3 lines can generate offfense reliably.

Right now it feels like we have 2 lines that can score and 2 lines that are lucky too.

I think you're missing the big picture as KyleJRM stated:

KyleJRM said:
Kase on the fourth line generated 6 shots, scored a goal and only played two fewer minutes than our top line guys.

Although some teams rarely put out the fourth line, the times that they do, then Kase does have the upper hand in skill to fully take advantage of that than being with the shutdown line against the opposing team's top offensive line. When you're getting 2 fewer minutes than a top-6 player, then I don't understand the complaint - especially since Kase scored with said line along with leading the team in SOGs. The fourth line can be looked at as an energy line than a grind line.

Now, I'm not opposed to putting Kase with Kes-Silf, but you're trashing on a situation that actually worked as well as got the GWG.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
So in your opinion guys, how has this team managed to stop hemmhoraging shots against? Like the shot disparity in the recent games has been normal... What’s changed?
They walked back the new system and the d-pairs have started to stabilize. They still allow way too many chances for the talent they have though.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Josh Manson is playing like an elite shutdown #1 (he has been unreal every game for about the last 10) and we are getting contributions from multiple forwards now

paine

Jun 4, 2007

Looks like they reverted back to the old system, Manson & Montour are playing to their potential, Larsson has taken huge strides, and Dotchin has been a big improvement on the third pairing.

Reactions: Mallard

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I think you're missing the big picture as KyleJRM stated:

Although some teams rarely put out the fourth line, the times that they do, then Kase does have the upper hand in skill to fully take advantage of that than being with the shutdown line against the opposing team's top offensive line. When you're getting 2 fewer minutes than a top-6 player, then I don't understand the complaint - especially since Kase scored with said line along with leading the team in SOGs. The fourth line can be looked at as an energy line than a grind line.

Now, I'm not opposed to putting Kase with Kes-Silf, but you're trashing on a situation that actually worked as well as got the GWG.

Oh i get that, but let's not pretend like that wasn't a bad goal for Crawford to give up there. He scores that with any linemate or defensive matchup.

Kase is one hit away from his nth concussion, 4th line opponents are usually hitters, much more than 3rd line who are typically less talented depth players. Kase also seems to be a give an go type of player, there isn't much of anyone to give and go too.

One of the reason I think he works so well with Ritchie is he drives to the front of the net. I think Kesler could to the same. Kesler isn't the same person but he still was once a 40 goal scorer, he has offensive instincts, I can't say the same for Sherwood and Rowney. I love them, but rather they team work on hammering the other team and playing sound defensive hockey with Cogs.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Looks like they reverted back to the old system, Manson & Montour are playing to their potential, Larsson has taken huge strides, and Dotchin has been a big improvement on the third pairing.

Yeah it does look like they’ve completely abandoned whatever system Carlyle tried to put in place at the start of the year. There’s still work to be done but they are looking miles better. Montour in particular has been miles better the past 10 games.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Yeah it does look like they’ve completely abandoned whatever system Carlyle tried to put in place at the start of the year. There’s still work to be done but they are looking miles better. Montour in particular has been miles better the past 10 games.
Teaford said as much a few weeks ago. The coaches felt the new system had been rushed, so they reverted not to last year's system but to a simpler more defensive-oriented thing, this was also part of their "we're going to win games through the D" push.

Reactions: Paul4587

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Kase has managed to get all his concussions not playing on the 4th line. I don’t think the risk is substantially less playing on any other line. He’s 5’11”, 186# (Ha Ha). It’s not like most of the league can’t take his head out with their upper arms while crouching.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

As others mentioned, they've adjusted the system, which has helped. However, some players are just playing better than they were. Manson and Montour immediately come to mind. Yeah some of that may be system related, but the system doesn't cause Josh to throw it to other team. He's playing a lot better.

To Carlyle's credit, I think he's done a good job of adjusting the system but still maintained rolling 4 lines. I don't like that he still insists on matching the Kesler line up with opposing teams' top lines, but he's had a hand in the improved play for sure. Still think we need a new coach though.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Rushed? I think the new system was ****.

Not only that, Barstool was asking an old, crusty coach to teach a completely new system. Total recipe for disaster.

It's not shocking that RC couldn't teach it or implement it. I guess it's shocking to BM but not anyone else who pays attention to RC's coaching style.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Looks like we started the year with a ''everyone play horrible'' system :laugh:

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
The whole new "system" thing was B.S. If Murray really wanted a new system, he would have hired a coach that really would implement it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad