Prospect Info: Springfield Thunderbirds Roster

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
There are plenty of names to watch out for as this is really the first season in ages where the Blues basically "own" the operations going on in the minor team and it's mostly their players running this team. I'll give a list of the players I would watch for and reasons why they are players to look out for:
Hugh McGing - Last year was his first year after college, and he didn't do a whole lot offensively. He's shown an ability to be a valuable goal scorer, as well as gather plenty of assists, but he will need to prove he can take the next step and develop a solid overall game.

Alexei Toropchenko - His final year in junior showed his ability in the playoffs, but he's been relegated to the 4th line in many of his current roles. He'll want to develop a really good defensive/pk game if he wants to make the NHL. As long as he can do that, 10-15 points from him wouldn't be the worst thing.

Dakota Joshua - Probably should've made the NHL team from his strong camp, but if he can come in, prove to be a good pk center that scores 20 points, then he'll likely be called up.

Nikita Alexandrov - Should be a good offensive force for Springfield and he'll likely be playing in every situation. Expect ~40 points from him.

Mathias Laferriere - Played like a skill player, but I'm not sure what he is. Could end up like a Blais type player and score nearly a point per game, or he could score 10 points.

Nolan Stevens - He has to either become a stalwart forward or score over a point per game otherwise he will be relegated to the AHL for the foreseeable future.

Keean Washkurak - He will be a wreckingball, but I don't expect him to score a ton of points. He will be one of the most exciting players to watch because of his work ethic so keep an eye on that.

Logan Brown - Nothing to say here. He will score a ton and shy from contact. I'd look to see if his game changes, but you pretty much know what you're gonna get here.

Tyler Tucker - Big defenseman that likes to get dirty. He showed a lot of promise in junior when he started scoring at/over a point per game, so look for him to start scoring a bit more. Hopefully he refines his defensive game as well.

Scott Perunovich - Arguably the most exciting player on this roster. He will either be the #1 or #2 defenseman on this team and probably score at a ppg clip. If he's down in Springfield the entire time (he wont), look for him to score 50+ points.

Joel Hofer - Lots of promise as a goalie and moves well and is sound positionally. Look for him to really take over the starting goal position if he hasn't done it yet. I would hope for a sv% of around .915 or better this year.
Wow I think I did pretty good for last year's players to keep an eye on. I'll have to take a look at some of the other guys getting a chance with Springfield this year, but I expect more of the same players to look for to produce. It's kinda hard to say right now who has a chance to get called up because there are quite a bit of tweeners here vying for a 4th line/bench spot. For example, I could easily see Frk and Leivo going to Springfield and someone like Kostin taking on a 4th line spot. But there are other guys who will be on Springfield's roster who could/should get a callup but probably wont because of the tweeners.

I think one of McGing, Alexandrov, and Washkurak could get called up (Kostin too if he's in the AHL). They seem like the kind of players who play a good 2-way game that have some upside to show off. I don't see many players at the moment that excite me other than recent draft picks playing in these preseason games. I think the AHL team is pretty established and it's more so maintaining the stride they had going last year and improve in goal now that Lindgren is gone.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Springfield Training Camp roster

Players reporting to Springfield camp include:
Forwards: #9 Brayden Guy, #11 Hugh McGing, #16 Jacob Hayhurst, #18 Mathias Laferriere, #22 Greg Printz, #26 Nick Isaacson, #29 Nathan Todd, #32 Mitchell Hoelscher, #37 Andrei Bakanov, #39 Dylan McLaughlin, #77 Drew Callin, #81 Anthony Repaci
Defensemen: #4 Tommy Cross, #6 Austin Osmanski, #7 Andrew Peski, #14 Steven Santini, #25 Griffin Luce, #28 Luke Witkowski, #33 Brady Lyle
Goaltenders: #1 Vadim Zherenko, #35 Jake Theut

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Once again, Matthew Peca is nowhere to be found. Nobody has came out and said he’s injured, so I’m starting to get curious why he hasn’t been on either camp’s roster.
That’s very odd. I had completely forgotten about him until someone mentioned his name the other day on here.

A Google and Twitter search pulls up absolutely zero information on him and his whereabouts.

Hopefully for his well-being it’s nothing bad but something like this doesn’t seem like it can be good.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Once again, Matthew Peca is nowhere to be found. Nobody has came out and said he’s injured, so I’m starting to get curious why he hasn’t been on either camp’s roster.

He is probably injured or needs personal time. He is definitely signed with us. He signed a 2-year extension in March as reported by multiple sources. Scandella was not listed on the training camp because we knew going into camp that he'd be hurt. The Blues probably knew about Peca, but since he is most likely an AHL guy, his injury didn't warrant an announcement.

It would be nice though if one of our beat guys asked about him to clear it up.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
T-Birds form a scrimmage team lose 4-2 in exhibition game.

Sounds like Zheronov held up well under a barrage of shots.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He is probably injured or needs personal time. He is definitely signed with us. He signed a 2-year extension in March as reported by multiple sources. Scandella was not listed on the training camp because we knew going into camp that he'd be hurt. The Blues probably knew about Peca, but since he is most likely an AHL guy, his injury didn't warrant an announcement.

It would be nice though if one of our beat guys asked about him to clear it up.
Not sure what is wrong with him, but he is on season opening IR per capfriendly

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
T-Birds put up 5, but Alexandrov off the score sheet.

Too bad they don't play teams out west during the regular season. I'd see them in Tucson or Coachella.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
T-Birds put up 5, but Alexandrov off the score sheet.

Too bad they don't play teams out west during the regular season. I'd see them in Tucson or Coachella.

Big story was Zherenko. Apparently he was outstanding

The Springfield Thunderbirds (1-3-0-0) received outstanding goaltending from their first-year netminder in a 5-2 win over the Belleville Senators (2-1-1-0) on Friday night at CAA Arena in Belleville.

Zherenko bounced back, though, and made a phenomenal lurching save on Matt Wedman from point-blank range to keep the score 2-1.

Reinhardt's next bid in the final minute of the period was a shorthanded breakaway with a chance to tie the score, but Zherenko stayed with him to grab a backhand try in the mitt, keeping the lead secure into the dressing room.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Big story was Zherenko. Apparently he was outstanding

The Springfield Thunderbirds (1-3-0-0) received outstanding goaltending from their first-year netminder in a 5-2 win over the Belleville Senators (2-1-1-0) on Friday night at CAA Arena in Belleville.

Zherenko bounced back, though, and made a phenomenal lurching save on Matt Wedman from point-blank range to keep the score 2-1.

Reinhardt's next bid in the final minute of the period was a shorthanded breakaway with a chance to tie the score, but Zherenko stayed with him to grab a backhand try in the mitt, keeping the lead secure into the dressing room.
Wouldn’t at all surprise me if he ends up the best of our goalie prospects.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
"Zero" Zherenko in the nets

Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 4.38.13 PM.png

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I haven't payed too close attention to the details of the AHL schedule, but in looking at what Springfield has done thus, it's evident that it's much different than how the NHL does things. In the 72-game AHL season, the Thunderbirds will play Providence 14(!) times. Six of their first 12 games on the year will be against the Providence Bruins, against whom the Thunderbirds are already 0-3. I'd have figured with a 32-team league and a 72-game season, you'd only see other teams 2-3 times per season. The AHL schedule looks more like (pre-interleague) MLB than the NHL version. There's got to be some extreme hatred for the teams you play a dozen times/year. Holy smokes.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I haven't payed too close attention to the details of the AHL schedule, but in looking at what Springfield has done thus, it's evident that it's much different than how the NHL does things. In the 72-game AHL season, the Thunderbirds will play Providence 14(!) times. Six of their first 12 games on the year will be against the Providence Bruins, against whom the Thunderbirds are already 0-3. I'd have figured with a 32-team league and a 72-game season, you'd only see other teams 2-3 times per season. The AHL schedule looks more like (pre-interleague) MLB than the NHL version. There's got to be some extreme hatred for the teams you play a dozen times/year. Holy smokes.
At the end of the day, the AHL operates on a massively smaller budget than the NHL. The schedule is division heavy in order to minimize travel costs and allow teams to complete the bulk of their travel via bus instead of flights. This is actually the first time in close to a decade that every AHL team will play the same number of games.

Minor league sports are a long way from the major leagues even though the players are just one tier down in terms of ability.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Although I disliked the partnership the Blues had with the Chicago Wolves, one thing I did like is that since they were close, they visited Des Moines a lot. The T-birds will visit Des Moines precisely 0 times this season.

But it totally makes sense when you think about the travel costs.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad