Prospect Info: Springfield Thunderbirds Roster

Tonysil

Jan 1, 2013
Springfield, MA
They released the initial Thunderbirds roster today and I was wondering if you minded letting me know if there was anybody worth getting excited about? I gather it's Brown, Alexandrov, Perunovich & Hofer but would love any better insight.

FORWARDS
SAM ANAS RW
SHAWN CAMERON RW
HUGH MCGING RW
NATHAN WALKER LW
ALEXEY TOROPCHENKO LW
DAKOTA JOSHUA C
NIKITA ALEXANDROV C
MATHIAS LAFERRIERE RW
MACKENZIE MACEACHERN LW
NOLAN STEVENS LW
KEEAN WASHKURAK LW
TANNER KASPICK C
NATHAN TODD RW
LOGAN BROWN C
NIC PIEROG LW
MATTHEW PECA C

DEFENSEMEN
TOMMY CROSS D
TYLER TUCKER D
STEVEN SANTINI D
SCOTT PERUNOVICH D
JOSH WESLEY D
GRIFFIN LUCE D
CALLE ROSEN D

GOALIES
JOEL HOFER G
CHARLIE LINDGREN G

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
There are plenty of names to watch out for as this is really the first season in ages where the Blues basically "own" the operations going on in the minor team and it's mostly their players running this team. I'll give a list of the players I would watch for and reasons why they are players to look out for:
Hugh McGing - Last year was his first year after college, and he didn't do a whole lot offensively. He's shown an ability to be a valuable goal scorer, as well as gather plenty of assists, but he will need to prove he can take the next step and develop a solid overall game.

Alexei Toropchenko - His final year in junior showed his ability in the playoffs, but he's been relegated to the 4th line in many of his current roles. He'll want to develop a really good defensive/pk game if he wants to make the NHL. As long as he can do that, 10-15 points from him wouldn't be the worst thing.

Dakota Joshua - Probably should've made the NHL team from his strong camp, but if he can come in, prove to be a good pk center that scores 20 points, then he'll likely be called up.

Nikita Alexandrov - Should be a good offensive force for Springfield and he'll likely be playing in every situation. Expect ~40 points from him.

Mathias Laferriere - Played like a skill player, but I'm not sure what he is. Could end up like a Blais type player and score nearly a point per game, or he could score 10 points.

Nolan Stevens - He has to either become a stalwart forward or score over a point per game otherwise he will be relegated to the AHL for the foreseeable future.

Keean Washkurak - He will be a wreckingball, but I don't expect him to score a ton of points. He will be one of the most exciting players to watch because of his work ethic so keep an eye on that.

Logan Brown - Nothing to say here. He will score a ton and shy from contact. I'd look to see if his game changes, but you pretty much know what you're gonna get here.

Tyler Tucker - Big defenseman that likes to get dirty. He showed a lot of promise in junior when he started scoring at/over a point per game, so look for him to start scoring a bit more. Hopefully he refines his defensive game as well.

Scott Perunovich - Arguably the most exciting player on this roster. He will either be the #1 or #2 defenseman on this team and probably score at a ppg clip. If he's down in Springfield the entire time (he wont), look for him to score 50+ points.

Joel Hofer - Lots of promise as a goalie and moves well and is sound positionally. Look for him to really take over the starting goal position if he hasn't done it yet. I would hope for a sv% of around .915 or better this year.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It depends on what you are looking for. We have a mix of everything you could potentially be excited about. There are promising young players with talent that need seasoning. There are the AHL guys who will never make the pros for any length of time, but they will be steady players for fan's of the AHL team to be excited about. Finally, there are guys who are borderline NHL players who lost the numbers game. They can often have success when dropping to the AHL but will probably jump between the AHL and NHL often. We have at least a couple of each.

Young Guys with Talent: 1) Perunovich - He is number one on this list. He is a good skater and puck handler with great offensive instincts, but his defense needs work. He'll be an exciting player for you.
(2) Hofer - He is our best goalie prospect. Goalies are hard to predict, so he might not do much this year or ever. But he has the potential to be really good. He is a big kid, who plays a sound positional game and doesn't get flustered. Our other goalie prospect Ellis will be loaned out or start in the ECHL, and he is almost as good as Hofer. Keep an eye out for him if he gets called up.
(3) Brown - I put this in begrudgingly. He has playmaking skill for days and days and days. But he has a low compete level and zero physicality. If he puts forth the effort he did in Blues camp, he will struggle even in the AHL. But he will still make some exciting plays now and again.

Good AHL Lifers: Sam Anas - He was a point per game player in the AHl the last 2 years (last year was only 20-something games). He has 220 points in 282 games in the AHlL. He is super quicj and a good playmaker, but he is teeny tiny. So he'll never be an NHLer, but he can impress at the AHL level.

NHL Bottom 6 players screwed by deep roster: Mackenzie MacEachern - Solid NHL 4th liner with speed, a bit of skill and plays physical. He has been in the AHL for the past 2 years, so i'm not sure if he'll put up good points in Springfield. He doesn't in the NHL. But he is an NHL 4th liner.
2) Dakota Joshua - Similar to MacMac. He is a 4th line NHL player. He is a little more skilled, a little bigger, but a little slower.

I am not a fan of Alexandrov. I could be wrong. I am not listing him. I think he will struggle against men. He is too slow, and not strong enough to play like he has in the past.

My sleeper pick is Laferriere. He never put up stunning numbers in juniors (1.1-1.2 ppg range) but I like his game and think it could translate. He can pick the corners well with his shot. Its a long shot pick, which is why I didn't list him above. But keep an eye out and let me know what you think.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Brown-Anas
All jokes aside, this might be the highest scoring duo in the AHL. Brown and Anas have both had PPG numbers already, and that could go up if they have any chemistry(Nathan Todd was close to the PPG mark last year also, if they stick as a line that might be the highest scoring line in the AHL).

MacEachern-Joshua-Toropchenko

AHL teams are going to hate facing that line. Talk about nasty.

The overall forward group looks really good. Just need the D and goaltending to hold up.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
MacEachern and Joshua are probably both 12-14 forwards in most organizations that don't have the Blues' forward depth, but there is nothing noteworthy about either. Calle Rosen looked really good in the preseason, but I think he's likely our 9th-10th D right now behind Perunovich and possibly Santini. This should be a make or break season for Toropchenko as to whether or not he is ever going to make it to the NHL, so you should see his best effort this season.

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
Glad Ellis will be playing somewhere. Hofer had some strong play with Utica last season, so he obviously gets first crack at being #1 with the T-Birds. Having a veteran backup like Lindgren is the right move as well. Praying Ellis plays well enough to give us depth for the future.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
gonna keep a eye out on the goalies down on the farm because Husso flat out sucks. i think theres a good chance we see em called up

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Washkurak was very enjoyable to watch in preseason. He competes HARD.
Most entertaining hockey skills?? S.P. No question that everyone will correctly agree Perunovich. He's tiny but he's an NHLer.
We (the Blues) need Hofer to have a .925 plus save percentage. He could ... or he could be average. Time to find out.
Dakota Joshua could easily center a 4th line between Barbashev and Kostin in St. Louis at some point this season.

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
While I agree Husso did not play up to expectations last season, if I'm Army or Chief, I really don't want to have to call up either Hofer or Ellis this season unless there is no other option. Not that they are not talented (they definitely are) but they simply don't have enough experience against professional competition at this point in their careers.

Of course, if Hofer plays absolutely lights out early on, which would indicate he's ready, then I guess you have to call him up. But I don't believe we should bank on that happening. Hofer and Ellis need to start as many games as possible and learn how to play in the pros this season. How they handle that will determine what happens next.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Not that I'm aware of. Neighbours was paired with any one of Barbashev-Kostin, Schenn-Buchnevich, or ROR-Perron. Brown was typically on the bottom 2 lines, and Anas only got spotlight during forward deficient games.
It was just a childish joke...

But I appreciate you answering :)

Reactions: ezcreepin

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
While I agree Husso did not play up to expectations last season, if I'm Army or Chief, I really don't want to have to call up either Hofer or Ellis this season unless there is no other option. Not that they are not talented (they definitely are) but they simply don't have enough experience against professional competition at this point in their careers.

Of course, if Hofer plays absolutely lights out early on, which would indicate he's ready, then I guess you have to call him up. But I don't believe we should bank on that happening. Hofer and Ellis need to start as many games as possible and learn how to play in the pros this season. How they handle that will determine what happens next.

I probably won’t have a lot of people agree with me on this, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lindgren get a game or two in STL this season. He’s a good goalie. Consider that his career trajectory so far hasn’t been super dissimilar to Binner’s, and he has a similar pedigree. I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see him outperform Husso, who I think is too inconsistent and shaky to be a long-term solution in net. Whether it’s Hofer, Ellis, Lindgren, or Zherenko (who has had a much rougher start to his season than I was expecting), it seems like Husso is just holding a spot until someone else is ready

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
gonna keep a eye out on the goalies down on the farm because Husso flat out sucks. i think theres a good chance we see em called up
I would not want to damage the development of one of the promising prospects by calling him up too early because Husso stinks. Good news is Husso was showing a bit of improvement in the latter part of the season. Bad news is that it was still not very good.

If Binnington went down, I think they’d have to trade for someone. If Binnington is acceptable as a starter but Husso is stinking up the joint, maybe there’s a deadline acquisition. But the bigger issue for Husso is about trying to earn another NHL contract after this season.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Wash is fun to watch. And I think Alexadeov will breakout this year.

McGing is my sleeper though. He is a bit older but I like his nose for the net

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
WE GOT A GOAL!!!!!!
20211016_193125.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad