Prospect Info: Springfield Thunderbirds Roster

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I guess I’m in the wrong spot. I was looking for Springfield, MO.
Too many damn Springfields.

springfield.jpg

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Three games left, fighting for playoff position.

Current position would play three game series against Charlotte.

Holy moly is this complicated

• If Springfield faces Hartford:
    • The team with the higher regular-season point total (or holds the tiebreaker) receives home-ice advantage
    • The team w/ home-ice advantage would host Game 1 and (if necessary) Game 3, with the opponent hosting Game 2
    • Example: If SPR holds home ice in a series against HFD, the breakdown would be:
      • Game 1 @ SPR
      • Game 2 @ HFD
      • Game 3 (if necessary) @ SPR
  • If Springfield faces Lehigh Valley:
    • The team with the higher regular-season point total (or holds the tiebreaker) receives home-ice advantage
    • The team w/ home-ice advantage would go on the road for Game 1 before hosting Game 2 and (if necessary) Game 3
    • Example: If LV holds the home-ice advantage, the series breakdown would be:
      • Game 1 @ SPR
      • Game 2 @ LV
      • Game 3 (if necessary) @ LV
  • If Springfield faces Charlotte:
    • The team with the higher regular season point total (or holds the tiebreaker) receives home-ice advantage
    • The team w/ home-ice advantage would host all games in the series
    • Example: if SPR has home ice, Games 1, 2, and 3 (if necessary) would all take place at the MassMutual Center.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Holy moly is this complicated

• If Springfield faces Hartford:
    • The team w/ home-ice advantage would host Game 1 and (if necessary) Game 3, with the opponent hosting Game 2
    • Example: If SPR holds home ice in a series against HFD, the breakdown would be:
      • Game 1 @ SPR
      • Game 2 @ HFD
      • Game 3 (if necessary) @ SPR
  • If Springfield faces Lehigh Valley:
    • The team w/ home-ice advantage would go on the road for Game 1 before hosting Game 2 and (if necessary) Game 3
    • Example: If LV holds the home-ice advantage, the series breakdown would be:
      • Game 1 @ SPR
      • Game 2 @ LV
      • Game 3 (if necessary) @ LV
  • If Springfield faces Charlotte:
    • The team with the higher regular season point total (or holds the tiebreaker) receives home-ice advantage
    • The team w/ home-ice advantage would host all games in the series
    • Example: if SPR has home ice, Games 1, 2, and 3 (if necessary) would all take place at the MassMutual Center.
Wow. Clearly I haven’t been paying attending to how the AHL playoffs work. A couple questions:

1. Has the AHL always had 3 game series in the 1st round or is that new?

2. Is there any explanation on why the various series are different in terms of home/away games?

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Wow. Clearly I haven’t been paying attending to how the AHL playoffs work. A couple questions:

1. Has the AHL always had 3 game series in the 1st round or is that new?

2. Is there any explanation on why the various series are different in terms of home/away games?
Regarding three-game first round - don't think that's new - last year Springfield finished in the top two and avoided it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I didn't get to watch much of these last two games, but how did McGing look?
Only saw a little bit of him but he didn’t stand out or impress me at all. I don’t think he brings anything new that multiple other players in our system aren’t already providing.

I think the Blues did him a solid by calling him up, but he’s 5’8 and about to be 25 this summer. I wouldn’t bank on him being much of an NHL player.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Only saw a little bit of him but he didn’t stand out or impress me at all. I don’t think he brings anything new that multiple other players in our system aren’t already providing.

I think the Blues did him a solid by calling him up, but he’s 5’8 and about to be 25 this summer. I wouldn’t bank on him being much of an NHL player.
He was invisible the last game. Like he wasn’t even there.
I just looked and noticed that McGing didn't play the 2nd Stars game.

That's kinda weird that he played only one game after Berube said he'd play both.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Charlotte losing 1-3 after two periods. T-Birds up 1-0 after one.

If that stands I believe Springfield gets all three games (if necessary) at home in first round.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I just looked and noticed that McGing didn't play the 2nd Stars game.

That's kinda weird that he played only one game after Berube said he'd play both.
yeah, his parents apparently made trip to Dallas to see game and he was already back in Springfield.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002

Think Mackenzie McEachern. Wouldn't look out of place on an NHL 4th line, wouldn't be a liability if he's in, but not someone you're putting in there for 40+ games a season and not someone you're playing above the 4th line unless it's really, really necessary.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
As a result of tonight's victory, the T-Birds are assured of home-ice advantage in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs.

If they defeat the Providence Bruins on the road Sunday in the season finale, the Thunderbirds will be the 3-seed and hold home-ice advantage against the 6-seed Lehigh Valley Phantoms. Game 1 of that series, however, would be at Lehigh Valley, with Game 2 and, if necessary, Game 3 coming back to Springfield.

If the Bruins defeat the T-Birds on Sunday, Springfield will be the 4-seed and face the 5-seed Wolf Pack. Game 1 of that series would be at the MassMutual Center, with Game 2 in Hartford and, if necessary, a Game 3 back at the Thunderdome.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Playoff schedule - best of 3

Wednesday - home to Hartford
Friday - at Hartford
Saturday (if necessary) - home to Hartford

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
And after 2 playoff games, the T-birds season is over. Got spanked 7-1 tonight after a 6-1 loss Wed night.
TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Hofer started both games and gave up 5 goals in both. The other 3 goals were empty netters.
What happened to the T-Birds?

Were the three games on three consecutive nights to end the season too much for them?

Did Hofer just lose his game in the playoffs?

Did the whole team just quit?

Can't believe they went out this easily. Anybody have any thoughts?

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Quite shocking. But the team just didn't come through.

The Blues and T-Birds have revived the franchise it seems, great attendance and local support.

Need to stock more prospects there rather than filling the team with career minor leaguers.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

The Blues and T-Birds have revived the franchise it seems, great attendance and local support.

Need to stock more prospects there rather than filling the team with career minor leaguers.

I would think we'll see that start next year with two higher profile guys in Dean and Bolduc. Sure both could also make the Blues but it's likely they see significant time in the AHL before becoming NHL regulars.

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California

While the results of these playoffs were disappointing (highly, I would say), I totally agree that the Blues/T-Birds relationship is working out very well for both sides. I actually feel better about having Springfield than I ever did with San Antonio. Nothing against San Antonio but that arrangement just never seemed that solid...especially since Vegas up and bought them and moved them (ARRGH!!). The fan support seems better as well...maybe not in terms of numbers, but I would say the fans in Springfield care about the team more.

Feel free to correct if I got anything wrong...

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad