Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training v2.0 - Same great taste, now with less Bruce/Bautista drama!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Continue.

for those that missed it, the news of the last thread was the Jays signing former top-shelf reliever Rafael Soriano to a minor league deal with a spring training invite. So more pen depth competition.

What I wanted to post up early was this: Bluebird Banter's 2016 Top 40 prospects:

Just Missed the Cut: Parts 1, 2, 3 (each part is one author's personal list)
Guys who were too old to make the cut
40-36
35-31
30-26
25-21
20-16
15-11
10-6
5-1

It's a good read. The system is thinner, for sure, but there's still some intriguing pieces all the way down the list.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

Jays officials note that Tulowitzki has grown particularly close with Donaldson, the reigning American League MVP. Donaldson, as I wrote late last season pushes his teammates relentlessly. According to one player, he would scream at Tulo, who was playing in the AL for the first time, “This is the big-boy league! This isn’t facing the Phillies at Coors Field!â€

:laugh: Love that quote.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
There's been a lot of negativity about this off-season, Jose's demands, leaked Jay Bruce trades, etc (me included).

I think we need to just enjoy this season. We have the best offense in baseball, and we'll be the among most entertaining teams to watch as well.

This is the first really great thing to happen to Toronto sports in decades, and everyone is ruining it complaining about everything.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It was a shock to the system for sure. Uncertainty regarding your franchise player is always worthy of overreaction.

At this point though, it is what it is. Players are facing live pitching today. Games start friday. Lots to be positive about.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Even better... tomorrow!

Good stuff. Maybe I'm thinking of the first snet broadcast.

By the way someone was asking if Tulo is using the same glove. Old faithful lives. Atleast that's what it looks like via photos from today's inter-squad game.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Love this team. All this drama is overblown and is not such a big deal. EE will get re-signed to a good deal, Jose will get re-signed to a deal smaller than most are speculating.

Travis 2B / Goins 2B
Donaldson 3B
Bautista RF
Encarnacion DH / Colabello DH
Tulowitzki SS / Goins SS
Martin C / Thole C
Colabello 1B / Smoak 1B
Saunders LF / Pompey LF
Pillar CF / Pompey CF

Stroman - Estrada - Sanchez - Happ - Dickey
-Hutchison/Chavez/Loup/Cecil/Storen/Osuna

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Scheduled to pitch tomorrow is Stroman, Hutchison, Delabar, Tepera, Jenkins, Copeland. The starters for the rest of the week are Dickey-Floyd-Happ-Hutchison, with Sanchez pitching after Dickey. So this week we'll get to see Stroman, Happ, and Hutchison start (only Friday/Saturday are SN)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So fangraphs updatsd their team depth charts today to include the Zips numbers, and it upgraded the jays slightly to 40.9 team war. The good news is that it dropped the red sox a couple wins down to 42.2 as I expected, and the Yanks dropped below the Jays.

But I expected a bigger bump based on the zips released in december, but it seems the new zips numbers have downgraded the jays slightly across the board. I'm not sure if this is due to an updated calculation or if the zwar in december is actually just a different calculation than the fwar released today. They are all for the same projected playing time, for the record.

These are the changes from December to today:

Donaldson 6.6 --- 6.3
Bautista 4.1 ---- 3.9
Martin 3.5 ------ 3.1
Tulowitzki 3.5 -- 3.1
En'cion 3.3 ----- 3.1
Pillar 3.2 ------ 2.8
Travis 2.5 ------ 2.2
Pompey 1.2 ------ 0.9
Saunders 1.1 ---- 1.0
Smoak 0.7 ------- 0.6
Barney 0.7 ------ 0.5
Colabello 0.4 --- 0.3
Goins 0.3 ------- 0.0
Thole 0.0 ------- -0.2

every single position player downgraded from december. That's a cumulative 3.5war drop from the position players. Pretty huge.

Stroman 1.8 ----- 1.9
Chavez 1.4 ------ 1.9
Happ 1.3 -------- 1.6
Estrada 2.0 ----- 1.1
Dickey 1.6 ------ 0.9

Cecil 0.9 ---- 0.9
Storen ??? --- 0.7
Osuna 0.9 ---- 0.7
Sanchez 1.2 -- 0.6
Loup 0.4 ----- 0.3
Hutchison 0.7 - 1.5
Tepera 0.1 ---- 0.1
Delabar 0.1 --- 0.1

All over the place here. Must be a different type of calculation used. Either way the net difference is -0.4war.

So all in all around a 4war drop from the numbers released in December, which is the difference between an elite team and just a good team.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
either:

1) the "zwar" released in december is simply different kind of war than the fangraphs war released today: or
2) some sort of updated numbers became available (i.e. detailed park effects or defensive metrics) or his model was adjjsted.

It's probably #1 but i'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad