Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training v2.0 - Same great taste, now with less Bruce/Bautista drama!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
Can't believe it's already March 1st! I'll be watching Pompey and Hutch like a hawk this spring as I'm more optimistic than most, especially regarding Drew.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Can't believe it's already March 1st! I'll be watching Pompey and Hutch like a hawk this spring as I'm more optimistic than most, especially regarding Drew.

I think Drew has a good showing. Last year he had a lot of pressure being the number one starter. He has no pressure really this yr. I have him as the number 5. Chavez as the long man. I dont know what to do about Sanchez though

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
I think Drew has a good showing. Last year he had a lot of pressure being the number one starter. He has no pressure really this yr. I have him as the number 5. Chavez as the long man. I dont know what to do about Sanchez though

I have Sanchez as 5 and Chavez in Buffalo. Hutch can start as the long man. He's a great competitor, real gritty and I think he's a bulldog type guy who can take it as a challenge and use it as motivation to dominate like he always has. A 15th round pick that could've gone in the 2nd and people in the last year have forgotten just how young he is.

Unfortunately there will most likely be an injury to the rotation and Hutch is an outstanding replacement.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I have Sanchez as 5 and Chavez in Buffalo. Hutch can start as the long man. He's a great competitor, real gritty and I think he's a bulldog type guy who can take it as a challenge and use it as motivation to dominate like he always has. A 15th round pick that could've gone in the 2nd and people in the last year have forgotten just how young he is.

Unfortunately there will most likely be an injury to the rotation and Hutch is an outstanding replacement.

Chavez has no options so he cannot be sent down.

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
Chavez has no options so he cannot be sent down.

Interesting. I'd elect to have Sanchez start the season in the bullpen with Hutch/Chavez battling for the fifth spot (other works long relief). It'll be good to limit Sanchyz innings and preserve the arm by 30-40 innings for the second half of the season when one of Dickey/Hutch/Chavez struggle heavily.

Anyone else hear Tulo's comments on the Rockies front office? My apologies if it's been brought up but he said he'll never talk to them again as they lied to his face. Arrenado responded politely saying Tulo's obviously angry, and maybe he shouldn't have brought it up to the media but it was his decision ultimately.

An angry Tulo gives me a great feeling about the season.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Interesting. I'd elect to have Sanchez start the season in the bullpen with Hutch/Chavez battling for the fifth spot (other works long relief). It'll be good to limit Sanchyz innings and preserve the arm by 30-40 innings for the second half of the season when one of Dickey/Hutch/Chavez struggle heavily.

Anyone else hear Tulo's comments on the Rockies front office? My apologies if it's been brought up but he said he'll never talk to them again as they lied to his face. Arrenado responded politely saying Tulo's obviously angry, and maybe he shouldn't have brought it up to the media but it was his decision ultimately.

It feels to me like it's almost a guarantee that Chavez and Floyd start the season as long men. If Hutch wins the #5 spot, Sanchez is either in the pen or in Buffalo. If Sanchez wins the #5, Hutch is in Buffalo.

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
It feels to me like it's almost a guarantee that Chavez and Floyd start the season as long men. If Hutch wins the #5 spot, Sanchez is either in the pen or in Buffalo. If Sanchez wins the #5, Hutch is in Buffalo.

I think Hutch in Buffalo is the worst thing you can do to him. After having to watch the postseason run from Florida (I could be mistaken on this) he already may feel a disconnect from this teammates professionally.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I think Hutch in Buffalo is the worst thing you can do to him. After having to watch the postseason run from Florida (I could be mistaken on this) he already may feel a disconnect from this teammates professionally.

He was with the team.

And if he doesn't like it, he should pitch better. I think ironing out his mechanics in Triple-A will do him a world of good. Once he gains consistency in his delivery, he has a real good shot at being a good #2 starter.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
He was with the team.

And if he doesn't like it, he should pitch better. I think ironing out his mechanics in Triple-A will do him a world of good. Once he gains consistency in his delivery, he has a real good shot at being a good #2 starter.

Exactly. I'm sure he realizes he has some things to work on, and letting him figure things out in the minors may be the best option (unless, of course, he shows in spring training that he's ready to go).

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
He was with the team.

I'd rather him work with Pete Walker, be around the big club, grow with the new faces and build that chemistry that will be so important down the stretch, from the start. Even if he works out his delivery in buffalo he'll still have to start over mentally once he arrives in Toronto again. As you said he has a good shot at being a real solid starter, sending him to Buffalo could risk some precious development time.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I'd rather him work with Pete Walker, be around the big club, grow with the new faces and build that chemistry that will be so important down the stretch, from the start. Even if he works out his delivery in buffalo he'll still have to start over mentally once he arrives in Toronto again. As you said he has a good shot at being a real solid starter, sending him to Buffalo could risk some precious development time.

If he doesn't earn a starter spot, he doesn't have a lot to gain by pitching out of the bullpen.

Lots of players go to the minors to figure things out. It's not that big a deal.

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
If he doesn't earn a starter spot, he doesn't have a lot to gain by pitching out of the bullpen.

Lots of players go to the minors to figure things out. It's not that big a deal.

Very true. I guess it's a situation where it could literally go both ways, and there will be criticism regardless.

I heard Wilner say Pompey will bat lead off today. I know there's not too many prominent players in he lineup but I'm interested to see how comfortable he is. I don't care if he goes 3-4 with a stolen base, hopefully he looks able to handle that lead off role as it's a hole we have for not just this season

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Very true. I guess it's a situation where it could literally go both ways, and there will be criticism regardless.

I heard Wilner say Pompey will bat lead off today. I know there's not too many prominent players in he lineup but I'm interested to see how comfortable he is. I don't care if he goes 3-4 with a stolen base, hopefully he looks able to handle that lead off role as it's a hole we have for not just this season

His profile suggests potential future leadoff hitter to me, and I think he's ready to be a solid major leaguer right now. The LF battle should be really interesting.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Anyone notice the dynamic pricing on single tickets? Just looking at 500L...

Last year a 'premium' (Fri/Sat/Sun + Yankees/Red Sox) game was $16, and a 'regular' game was $13. There were 51 premium games and 30 regular games.

This year, 32 games have a minimum 500L price of at least $25, an additional 19 have a price of at least $20, and the same 30 games have a price below $20.

These guys...better win.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Last year a 'premium' (Fri/Sat/Sun + Yankees/Red Sox) game was $16, and a 'regular' game was $13. There were 51 premium games and 30 regular games.

This year, 32 games have a minimum 500L price of at least $25, an additional 19 have a price of at least $20, and the same 30 games have a price below $20.

These guys...better win.

Lots of for this season akin to a few years ago, a year that shall not be named, that didn't turn out so well.

Let's just remember that it's a long season. Hope it's a good one :nod:

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015

These guys...better win.

What's the big deal? Instead of eating inside the dome grab a spicy sausage on the street. Instead of drinking beer all game take a couple shots of JD on the train.

Appreciate the fact you can go to games for as little as $25. There's Jays nuts traveling to that awful country below us to watch out beloved blue jays.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
What's the big deal? Instead of eating inside the dome grab a spicy sausage on the street. Instead of drinking beer all game take a couple shots of JD on the train.

Appreciate the fact you can go to games for as little as $25. There's Jays nuts traveling to that awful country below us to watch out beloved blue jays.

I spent the last 12 years getting in for $1 per game so this is new territory for me.

(I have seasons now but I just find that price increase rather insane for the casual)

Also going to the States to watch the Jays is fantastic...and generally better value than sitting on the roof of the RC for $25. Maybe they got sticker shock over the hilarious Stubhub prices last year?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

am I the only one looking forward to happ/chavez injuries to ensure sanchez/hutch get a shot?

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
am I the only one looking forward to happ/chavez injuries to ensure sanchez/hutch get a shot?

Only Chavez, but only for a month or so around May/June. I'm aware we were really Lucky with injuries last year compared to other teams so we can't expect the same fortune

I spent the last 12 years getting in for $1 per game so this is new territory for me.

(I have seasons now but I just find that price increase rather insane for the casual)

Also going to the States to watch the Jays is fantastic...and generally better value than sitting on the roof of the RC for $25. Maybe they got sticker shock over the hilarious Stubhub prices last year?

I would love to go to Cleveland, Detroit and Minnesota but Id rather take a 40 minute train to the park over a four hour drive across the border.

I still believe the increase is reasonable. If a casual fan can't afford a $20-$25 ticket then someone else will and I don't think we'll lose any supporters because of it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I've seen the injuries analysis and I don't buy it.

We lost Stroman, Travis, and saunders for pretty much the whole year. Bautista, EE, Martin all suffered significant injuries. Then we had the normal slate of depth injuries to the likes of Sanchez, Buehrle, Navarro, Izturis, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad