Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training v2.0 - Same great taste, now with less Bruce/Bautista drama!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I'd rather him work with Pete Walker, be around the big club, grow with the new faces and build that chemistry that will be so important down the stretch, from the start. Even if he works out his delivery in buffalo he'll still have to start over mentally once he arrives in Toronto again. As you said he has a good shot at being a real solid starter, sending him to Buffalo could risk some precious development time.

Yeah, no. Disagree completely. Pete Walker provides little additional value to fixing Hutch, chemistry will mean little if he's getting lit up again, and his development time will be far more wasted repeating the same mistakes at the major league level.

This all, of course, is contingent on whether he has made adjustments in the offseason or not, or can discover something in spring training. If he earns the spot, he earns the spot.

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
I've seen the injuries analysis and I don't buy it.

We lost Stroman, Travis, and saunders for pretty much the whole year. Bautista, EE, Martin all suffered significant injuries. Then we had the normal slate of depth injuries to the likes of Sanchez, Buehrle, Navarro, Izturis, etc.

Bautista Eddy and Martin played through injuries successfully and didn't miss too much time. Stroman was a huge loss most definitely but Saunders was replaceable. Despite the terrible defense in left Colabello/Valencia/Carrera more than held their own so I don't think injuries hindered us as much as you say. Baltimore losing Machado and Wieters was a much bigger loss than the Jays losing Jose and Eddy.

- Izturis?! Really!? :(

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
Yeah, no. Disagree completely. Pete Walker provides little additional value to fixing Hutch, chemistry will mean little if he's getting lit up again, and his development time will be far more wasted repeating the same mistakes at the major league level.

This all, of course, is contingent on whether he has made adjustments in the offseason or not, or can discover something in spring training. If he earns the spot, he earns the spot.

So show him you believe in him and let him start the season were he belongs as a major league pitcher in Toronto then allow him to get lot up. I think that'll also motivate him once he gets sent down after three bad appearances to start the season.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
So show him you believe in him and let him start the season were he belongs as a major league pitcher in Toronto then allow him to get lot up. I think that'll also motivate him once he gets sent down after three bad appearances to start the season.

Ok, hold on a second... if the team thinks he's not good enough, they should let him start in the majors anyway so he gets lit up to prove that he's not ready?

There won't be any mind games going on. If they think he's the best option, he'll be the fifth starter. If they don't think he's the best option, he'll start the season in Buffalo.

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
Ok, hold on a second... if the team thinks he's not good enough, they should let him start in the majors anyway so he gets lit up to prove that he's not ready?

There won't be any mind games going on. If they think he's the best option, he'll be the fifth starter. If they don't think he's the best option, he'll start the season in Buffalo.

No, I'm under the assumption he is good enough but may not hold his own to start the season.

Are you suggesting Hutch must vastly outplay his competition to crack the roster? Has Drew honestly entered Gavin Floyd and Jesse Chavez territory for expectations?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I certainly hope so. Seems like an odd thing to wish for as a fan of a franchise, save for said fan wanting said franchise to lose.

how so?

if better players are blocked due to bad contracts, that's a bad thing, not a good thing.

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
Shi davidi says these spring games are free to watch?

Yeah go through the steps to purchase MLB game centre or triple play package whatever it's called, enter your credit card info despite them not charging you a cent. Wilner endorsed it this morning on Blair's show with Ennis and explained the latter specifically.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
No, I'm under the assumption he is good enough but may not hold his own to start the season.

Are you suggesting Hutch must vastly outplay his competition to crack the roster? Has Drew honestly entered Gavin Floyd and Jesse Chavez territory for expectations?

unfortunately in an orginization which prioritizes depth above all else, guys like hutch will in fact have to vastly outplay his competition to justify the risk of losing a contracted player without options.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
how so?

if better players are blocked due to bad contracts, that's a bad thing, not a good thing.

You should hope that the team picks the players who give a better chance to win. You shouldn't hope for a human being to get hurt. That's just flat out not right.

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
unfortunately in an orginization which prioritizes depth above all else, guys like hutch will in fact have to vastly outplay his competition to justify the risk of losing a contracted player without options.

That does handcuff us quite a bit.

Let's say he dominates spring, fastball is steady at 92-93 and his slider is filth like we've seen many times. He's our fifth starter, and gets blown out in his first two starts going a combined 6 innings.

Whattya do?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You should hope that the team picks the players who give a better chance to win. You shouldn't hope for a human being to get hurt. That's just flat out not right.

but the team has put itself in a position where it may be too "risky" to let the best players play.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That does handcuff us quite a bit.

Let's say he dominates spring, fastball is steady at 92-93 and his slider is filth like we've seen many times. He's our fifth starter, and gets blown out in his first two starts going a combined 6 innings.

Whattya do?

2 starts isn't enough but anyone who doesn't perform puts their job in danger.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

For one thing, I don't think Gavin Floyd has a legitimate chance at earning a starting role, so I'm not comparing anyone to him. For another, Jesse Chavez is a good pitcher, and he's coming off a much, much better season than Hutchison.

Also, I was pretty clear that I think the real competition is between Hutchison and Sanchez for the 5th spot.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
but the team has put itself in a position where it may be too "risky" to let the best players play.

As of right now, who do you think are the five best starters for the Jays heading into the season?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
As of right now, who do you think are the five best starters for the Jays heading into the season?

why are you even bothering? He obviously has a bias against Happ because he was signed this offseason and his name isn't David Price.

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
For one thing, I don't think Gavin Floyd has a legitimate chance at earning a starting role, so I'm not comparing anyone to him. For another, Jesse Chavez is a good pitcher, and he's coming off a much, much better season than Hutchison.

Also, I was pretty clear that I think the real competition is between Hutchison and Sanchez for the 5th spot.

I don't agree that Hutch will be a starter in either Toronto or Buffalo. If he pitches well enough in spring to earn a spot he should be given a chance in the bullpen as well. I want the most talented players to be on the roster because talent wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad