Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training V1.0 - The Jay Bruce almost became a Blue Jay Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Any chance the Indians would consider Carlos Carrasco?

Not for Jose. Carrasco's probably a #1 level guy right now.

Jose only having 10/5 rights and a year left is gonna rob him of enough value that I'd rather just give us the best shot to win this year in keeping him, and then get the comp pick for him after the season. I trust Parker and co., they have been elite at drafting the last 5 years.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
the team's best offensive month - by far - came when Tulo hit leadoff.

What's more important? Having Tulowitzki as comfortable as possible in the line-up and playing at his peak, or trying to throw him at leadoff just because? It didn't work last year. It's madness and I can't believe that Gibbons had him leading off at any point. People scream about his ability to reach base, but the guy can't run all that well and you're better off having a guy with the risk of stealing a base on there to add further stress onto the pitcher.

It's just as crazy as the people who didn't want a guy who had a .292 career average with insane speed leading off in favour of Tulowitzki.

Having a gauntlet of DD-Jose-EE-Tulo to face as 2-3-4-5 is more beneficial. You try Travis, you try Pillar, you try Saunders if he's still here.

People are overthinking things in this new age of baseball.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Instead of hitting a weak, slap single and having to steal a base, why not hit a double?

Instead of overthinking what archetype of batter you want at the front of the lineup, just have your best batters have the most at bats. They only lead off once, anyways.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
The pitcher has enough to worry about in JD, Jose, EE and Tulo.

The threat of a steal (or lack there of when you consider how they utilized revere) is sort of secondary at that point.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
How often did Revere try to steal when he was OB here?

Trying to steal doesn't make sense when you have Donaldson coming up next and that's an RBI. Stealing doesn't matter with this line-up.

Am I saying we don't need a guy who steal? Absolutely not. But it's not a priority, especially at lead off.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Instead of hitting a weak, slap single and having to steal a base, why not hit a double?

Instead of overthinking what archetype of batter you want at the front of the lineup, just have your best batters have the most at bats. They only lead off once, anyways.

Tulo is a run producer. He has more chances to produce runs when he has Donaldson, Bautista, EE on base. Those guys not only hit homers, they walk a lot, and they hit doubles. Lots of chances for Tulo to drive them in.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun, Edwin Encarnacion would likely accept three years and under $60 million US with a club option for a fourth year from the Toronto Blue Jays.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/27/simmons-says-shut-down-lupul-likely-to-be-dispatched-by-leafs

Jose Bautista has paved the way for the Blue Jays to sign his friend, Edwin Encarnacion. Bautista, the man who won’t negotiate on anything but his public image, won’t get signed in Toronto at five years at $150 million or whatever inflated figure he is looking for. Meantime, Encarnacion, I’m told, will likely accept three years and under $60 million US with a club option for a fourth year. Victor Martinez signed a four-year, $68-million deal in Detroit. David Ortiz, whose contract is based on plate appearances, will probably earn $15 million for his last season in Boston. Those comparables makes sense if not dollars for the Jays ...

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
That's about what I expect he'll sign for. Seems ok for both sides.

I'm sure they'd like to retain Jose over EE. But if nothing progresses towards the end of ST they might just have to get EE locked up and deal with Jose later if they choose to.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Seems low to me.

Victor Martinez. 4yrs/68m. Signed in his mid 30s.
Nelson Cruz. 4yrs/57m. Signed in his early 30s.

Those are the most direct comparables considering age/position/production. Simmonds could very well be pulling the number out of his ass, but it's pretty reasonable. I'd expect it to have a few incentives weaved into it that could bump the payout.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
The pitcher has enough to worry about in JD, Jose, EE and Tulo.

The threat of a steal (or lack there of when you consider how they utilized revere) is sort of secondary at that point.

I **** my pants when I watch the opponent bat with a speedy guy on base regardless of who's batting. I can't be the only one.

It weighs on the pitcher.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Let's say the Jays want to trade Bautista during the season. Since they did not give him the years and money he wants, could Bautista be selfish and veto any trade because of that?

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Let's say the Jays want to trade Bautista during the season. Since they did not give him the years and money he wants, could Bautista be selfish and veto any trade because of that?

(this applies to jose or EE assuming one is signed)
Keep him for the year. Make a run for a championship with one of the most potent offenses in bluejay history. Give him a qualifying offer at years end. Take the compensation pick.

I dust my hands thustly.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
(this applies to jose or EE assuming one is signed)
Keep him for the year. Make a run for a championship with one of the most potent offenses in bluejay history. Give him a qualifying offer at years end. Take the compensation pick.

I dust my hands thustly.
Hopefully this won't be the case but let's say the Jays are out of contention by the trade deadline, they go to Bautista with a trade and he says no because they didn't agree to his contract terms which he said was not negotiable. Would the Jays consider benching him or is that being way to dramatic?

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Hopefully this won't be the case but let's say the Jays are out of contention by the trade deadline, they go to Bautista with a trade and he says no because they didn't agree to his contract terms which he said was not negotiable. Would the Jays consider benching him or is that being way to dramatic?

The reasoning for him to decline a trade would never come out. That's a bit too much wild speculation for me.

If it's a team like the dodgers who have prospects and money to spare, and would also likely be seeking a long post-season run, then yea I could see it.

If it's a team just kicking around a wild-card spot, I doubt he accepts.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009

He has earned his 10/5 rights and you spit in the face of your/all players if you bench him.

I also dont think he turns down a move to a contender at the deadline if we are out.

The most likely scenario is that we go on a deep playoff run and take the compensation picks.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
What makes you think that?

Plenty of articles, but this pops up first.

Basically the difference between the absolute 'optimitzed' lineup and worst lineup is generally 0.25 runs per game which is 40 runs (or 4 wins). Considering you're never going to see anything close to the worst lineup (JB/EE/JD/Tulo hitting 6-9 or something), the absolute worst case scenario is...a win? If that? Not discounting the value of marginal wins, especially in the AL this year but Tulo hitting #1 v #5 is going to have no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad