Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training V1.0 - The Jay Bruce almost became a Blue Jay Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
We should then assume that Garrett Richards (+ cash of course) and Jesse Winker are coming to Toronto in the deal. Jays send Ryan McBroom to the Angels and some Yukon Gold potatoes to the Reds.

Cash coming to Toronto? Stupid cheap Rogers.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
We should then assume that Garrett Richards (+ cash of course) and Jesse Winker are coming to Toronto in the deal. Jays send Ryan McBroom to the Angels and some Yukon Gold potatoes to the Reds.

Raise your hand if you'd trade Jay Bruce for a sack of potatoes....!

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Missed the tail end of the last thread. Came in to get caught up. Don't understand the desire for Bruce over Saunders. I'm guessing most are assuming Jose will be traded at some point based on his contract offer to the jays that he refuses to negotiate on. I'll go ahead and assume it's also for massive dollars

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The one thing I miss about the AA days is when something was announced, it was done

Talk about the Dickey deal went on for several days. Also, why do people assume that the news leak has to come from the Jays? There are two other teams in this potential deal.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Talk about the Dickey deal went on for several days. Also, why do people assume that the news leak has to come from the Jays? There are two other teams in this potential deal.

Dickey deal was unique because it involved Dickey signing an extension with the Jays. Hard to keep it under wraps when AA is flying to Nashville and in RA's house.

Other teams never leaked when AA was doing biz. If you heard it in advance, wasn't true.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
My guess is they're just trying to finalize the prospects or include a PTBNL.

Or there's money involved. Or it's still fairly early in discussions. There are lots of potential scenarios, especially since it's rumoured to involve a third team.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Acquiring Bruce seems like an unnecessary risk to take, but he has had some very good years in the not so distant past. If there is a chance he can regain his form with a change of scenery in the best lineup in baseball, who knows.

5.1 WAR in 2013. Just sayin'

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The one thing I miss about the AA days is when something was announced, it was done

This x1000

and we didn't hear about things hours before it happened.

Though in fairness to a potentially crappy situation like this, maybe it's better to give everyone time to slowly process than have the trade break and then an immediate nuclear meltdown of reaction.

Still, the sudden silence is killing me.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
can someone explain to me edwins and jose's weird contract rights, they cant be traded or they have to make a short list?

They both have 10/5 rights. Meaning they've been with 1 team for 5 years and in MLB 10 which gives them trade protection. They'd have to agree to be traded.

And it's not a weird thing, every player gets this once they've hit both marks.

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Interesting interview with Bautista.

http://www.tsn.ca/bautista-not-giving-blue-jays-a-hometown-discount-1.441718

Bautista not giving Blue Jays a hometown discount

Not surprised at all. Like he said he's been giving this team a discount for 5 years already. No way he's taking less again. Time for the franchise to invest in him and give him what he deserves, this guy has probably missed out on close to 50 million over the course of his contract. 50....million! Damn

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
can someone explain to me edwins and jose's weird contract rights, they cant be traded or they have to make a short list?

10 and 5 rights. Any player who has been in the league for 10 years, 5 of them on the same team consecutively have a right to say no to any trade. Basically those 2 things get you a full no trade clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad