Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training V1.0 - The Jay Bruce almost became a Blue Jay Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Let's say the Jays want to trade Bautista during the season. Since they did not give him the years and money he wants, could Bautista be selfish and veto any trade because of that?

He could. Would he? Probably not. If the team doesn't want him and he's unhappy it could be a bad environment in really his last big paycheque coming next offseason.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Not for Jose. Carrasco's probably a #1 level guy right now.

Jose only having 10/5 rights and a year left is gonna rob him of enough value that I'd rather just give us the best shot to win this year in keeping him, and then get the comp pick for him after the season. I trust Parker and co., they have been elite at drafting the last 5 years.

Him holding those rights is what bothers me cause I was of the opinion last season and still am of the opinion that we need to trade him cause the money is gonna get ridiculous. A comp pick is probably what we'll have to settle for though and the most likely option.

I have been seeing the different scenarios for the rotation and pen and it looks as though Chavez is destined for the pen as a reliever/spot starter with Hutchinson either being optioned or being #5. At the end of the day it comes down to Sanchez and if he impresses enough to be the no5 guy or not.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't put credence in much of what Simmons has to say, but for once, I hope he's right.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Purely speculation on my part but I'm betting on Bautista landing with the Dodgers whether through free agency or a trade. AA is in a crowded front office in LA and he'll want to make his mark to get favour.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Purely speculation on my part but I'm betting on Bautista landing with the Dodgers whether through free agency or a trade. AA is in a crowded front office in LA and he'll want to make his mark to get favour.

it's been speculated that AA's time in LA will be short lived, most analysts are expecting him gone within a year when the first GM job opens up.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
it's been speculated that AA's time in LA will be short lived, most analysts are expecting him gone within a year when the first GM job opens up.
I think if the Jays start losing again expect Shapiro and Atkins to be fired and Rogers would bring back AA. I know that sounds way out there but keep in mind he did not sell his house in Toronto.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What happened to Soriano last year? Why was he so terrible?

He barely pitched last year because of nagging injuries, chiefly shoulder problems.

In general, his velocity has been steadily trending downward for 6 years now. Over that same time he has (unsurprisingly) seen a drop in strikeouts and rise in hits. Seems like it's just time catching up with him as it does all older athletes (except Jaromir Jagr). He had a good 2014, so there's something to maybe hope for. But on the other hand he's 36 this year, so I wouldn't hold my breath on any sort of major renaissance, with or without the Jays' miracle weighted ball program.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Just demonstrates the point of pen being a fickle beast, yeah he's old so it's not surprising he had injury trouble last year, but I'm pretty sure I remember last offseason people clamouring to upgrade the pen and he was one of the pitchers people here wanted to sign. Spending money on the pen is an extremely risky proposal. Cubs basically wasted 4.1 million on him last year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No chance that Anthopoulos doesn't have another GM job before then.
Chances are he will be a GM somewhere by then. However if for whatever reason he does not and the Jays have fired Shapiro and Atkins, I think it becomes a possibility of Anthopoulos coming back. Although I always wondered why didn't Rogers just name him President to replace Beeston and why even hire Shapiro?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Soriano's numbers in 13 and 14 were better than I remembered. Solid above average middle relief numbers, even without his younger velo.

Solid pickup. One disaster year isn't necessarily a death sentence, no matter what the cause.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Something I found out recently that I don't think has been mentioned before:

Drew Storen is a switch-hitter.

Storen confirmed as the emergency backup pinch-hitter :sarcasm:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just demonstrates the point of pen being a fickle beast, yeah he's old so it's not surprising he had injury trouble last year, but I'm pretty sure I remember last offseason people clamouring to upgrade the pen and he was one of the pitchers people here wanted to sign. Spending money on the pen is an extremely risky proposal. Cubs basically wasted 4.1 million on him last year.

to be fair, how many people wanted to sign him because he was a) a relative "big name" among relievers that people would know better than random setup guys basic middle relievers, b) 40 saves! c) a) and b) led to them ignoring some of the cracks appearing in his armor that pointed to the higher risk of throwing millions at him.

I do want to clarify though that I am cool with the signing. Better to take a reclamation flier on a guy who was dominant once upon a time and has a shorter history of injuries than someone who is either totally broken or never that great in the first place. I'm just going to go into the spring expecting nothing out of him. Anything they get will be a gift.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Might as well lock this up. I wanted to post some prospect stuff but there's no point when it's only 4 posts to go before the end.

New thread in a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad