Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training '19 Part 1: It wouldn't be spring training without drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I don't think he starts another year with us. He is a wacko and this management doesnt like that
Honestly, management doesn't seem to care, wacko or not.
Gilles, Norris and some other rumours of wackos would indicate otherwise.

Talent, Development and skill trump all, and Stroman had that. If he can put it together this year he stays without a doubt. If he falters or throws another "meh" year, than yes he's probably gone.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014

Adam Kloffenstein makes sense, he has pretty much never pitched in the minors. Eric Pardinho I'm really surprised by, since he dominated rookie ball last year. Only thing I can think of is that they want to restrict his innings so he'll be called up to Lansing later.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Adam Kloffenstein makes sense, he has pretty much never pitched in the minors. Eric Pardinho I'm really surprised by, since he dominated rookie ball last year. Only thing I can think of is that they want to restrict his innings so he'll be called up to Lansing later.

I read a few days ago, sorry can’t remember where, Pardinho hasn’t pitched yet and is coming off an injury. He starts pitching this week.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Honestly, management doesn't seem to care, wacko or not.
Gilles, Norris and some other rumours of wackos would indicate otherwise.

Talent, Development and skill trump all, and Stroman had that. If he can put it together this year he stays without a doubt. If he falters or throws another "meh" year, than yes he's probably gone.

Gilles and Norris I think will be gone soon too. They aren't building the team around those guys

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Gilles and Norris I think will be gone soon too. They aren't building the team around those guys
Point is, but accuiring those guys, management is showing that talent is more valuable than character.

Thus since Stroman is younger and had talent, he could easily be here for the long haul.

We desperately need elite pitching.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I read a few days ago, sorry can’t remember where, Pardinho hasn’t pitched yet and is coming off an injury. He starts pitching this week.

Pardinho clearly deserves to be in full season ball, so if it's about an injury or limiting innings, that makes sense as long as he starts at Lansing when he's ready to go.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Point is, but accuiring those guys, management is showing that talent is more valuable than character.

Thus since Stroman is younger and had talent, he could easily be here for the long haul.

One word shatters that ideal philosophy:

Osuna.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
I would not say that at all. He is the one that keeps doing questionable things every week and once threw a ball at another players head.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
The truth is I am not worried at all about us being stuck with him long term. It is a question of when we trade him not if.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
-Four outfielders
-Opener

What else can we possibly expect to see this year?

HatefulWeepyGoldenretriever-max-1mb.gif

giphy.gif

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

I agree we need elite pitching, but feels like management was shoppinh him very hard in the offseason. Of course, they won't trade him for scraps.

btw, whats wrong with Giles? except for self punching, I don't recall him doing anything too crazy.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I agree we need elite pitching, but feels like management was shoppinh him very hard in the offseason. Of course, they won't trade him for scraps.

btw, whats wrong with Giles? except for self punching, I don't recall him doing anything too crazy.

Fair enough, my thought is, if Stroman pitches all year or close to how he's performing in spring training there'll be no need to trade him, as he's a retainable young piece that fills a need long term.

Gilles seems to have temper issues that are hit and miss..

..on that token, what's wrong with Stroman, apart from his over active social media babblings. Stroman seems to have a much better character compared to Gilles.

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
www.selltradememorabilia.com
What if a team went to a player agent and said something along the lines of:

"We aren't going to play the delay service time game with your client. We know he's ready. He deserves fairness now. We want to start out this relationship fairly because we want to foster fairness and trust and we are thinking long term. We are counting on that being a mutual understanding in all future contract negotiations."

Also shows other agents that the Jays are a good employer who are willing to pay for performance.
7 years down the road,, players switch agents lots.. he gets a ahole like Boras, not good .....

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

That really, really, really sucks. Even when you bring your pitchers around slowly it can still backfire. Ill take talent as you get it and always go BPA but if the values are close i always lean on the side of position players.

Last edited:

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Fair enough, my thought is, if Stroman pitches all year or close to how he's performing in spring training there'll be no need to trade him, as he's a retainable young piece that fills a need long term.

Gilles seems to have temper issues that are hit and miss..

..on that token, what's wrong with Stroman, apart from his over active social media babblings. Stroman seems to have a much better character compared to Gilles.
Yes, Stroman is on the right side of 30 and could likely still contribute to the next Blue Jays core. But, the issue is his team control is up after next season, so it makes more sense to hope he pitches well and deal him for assets whose team control lines up with that of the players they will be relying on in future years.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
After signing a late minor league deal with the Blue Jays, right-hander Bud Norris doesn’t have the benefit of a full spring audition for a roster spot, but Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com writes that Norris’ early work has impressed manager Charlie Montoyo. “He looked to me like a closer, a late-inning guy, pitching yesterday,” Montoyo said after Norris’ Jays debut, in which he struck out a pair of opposing hitters and reached the mid-90s with his fastball in a perfect inning. Righty Ken Giles is penciled in as the closer in Toronto, though Norris has no shortage of experience there after spending parts of the past two seasons as a closer in Anaheim and St. Louis, racking up a combined 47 saves in that role. He’ll reportedly earn a $3MM salary if he makes the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad