Sportsnet: Spott’s relationship with Clarkson a big asset

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Where were you guys when Colby Armstrong was an "important piece" to the Leafs because their W/L record with and without Colby and his grit/leadership proved as much. I remember that well. I called BS then and I call BS now. But in Clarkson's case...he still stinks. Much like Colby, only Colby was much cheaper.

Yeah.... don't recall ever buying into that, but generalizations are cool so....

jazzeyman

Sponsor
Dec 15, 2013
The Clarkson contract is by far the best reason they had to fire Nonis (Carlyle probably had a hand in this as well). Not because it demonstrates such poor judgement (it obviously does that), but because, as long as the GM who signed him is sitting in upstairs, they'll be trying to save face. We saw this unfold with Burke and Komisarek, Finger and Fletcher, JFJ and Toskala ... guys who don't belong in the NHL given silly contracts and damn near sinking the team.

Having this guy on the roster totally belies any claim management or coaches make about there being a meritocracy. Take away the contract and everyone knows that Clarkson would be, at best, a depth forward and most likely just waived.

Clarkson should be made to earn his spot like everyone else. On that basis, he should be promptly sent to the Marlies to rediscover his game. No one will claim him (and, if they do, I'll lead the parade down Yonge St.).

For me the worst part of it is the poor judgement it shows. I wonder if Nonis watches and wonders how he picked this slug or if he thinks he's actually worth $5.2Million.

And I get a good laugh out of people like Jeff Blair commenting on how well Clarkson is playing this year. The bar is so disgustingly low that just standing in front of the net and getting hit with shots from the point, and only falling 5 times a game is a major improvement.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Could be.

Clarkson has certainly been one of the best Leafs on the season and his effort and his improved play has not gone unnoticed.

He even got time on the top line and on the PP being rewarded by the coaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad