Sportsnet: Spott’s relationship with Clarkson a big asset

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The Leafs don't NEED to do anything with Clarkson. Bottom line was he just wasn't good enough to play in a top six role last season. He was arguably the worst player on the ice some nights, and made his line worse. Sure, give him a look on the second line this year but by no means should he have a cemented spot if he can't produce. A player shouldn't get a better shot over another player just because how much money he makes.

CalgaryLeaf*

Leafs need somebody brave enough to stand in front of the net on a Phaneuf slapshot...good idea---maybe Clarkson is that guy for the PP.

Tyler Biggs*

Didn't Clarkson play with Parise and Kovalchuk in New Jersey?

The 2012-13 season saw Clarkson with consistent line mates in Travis Zajac and Patrik Elias .Prior to that, Clarkson appeared to move around quite a bit, seeing time with Rod Pelley, Ryan Carter and Mattias Tedenby.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Yup.

Parise and Kovie were to Clarkson what Kessel and JVR are to Bozak

Clarkson played a grand total of 6 minutes and 57 seconds with Kovalchuk at even strength in 2012-13, and 36 minutes and 49 seconds in 2011-12, for a grand total of 43 minutes and 46 seconds over the two seasons where he scored 45 goals.

He played 111:55 with Parise during Parise's last two seasons with NJ.

How can you sit there and say something so blatantly misinformed?

leafstilldeath*

Clarkson played a grand total of 6 minutes and 57 seconds with Kovalchuk at even strength in 2012-13, and 36 minutes and 49 seconds in 2011-12, for a grand total of 43 minutes and 46 seconds over the two seasons where he scored 45 goals.

He played 111:55 with Parise during Parise's last two seasons with NJ.

How can you sit there and say something so blatantly misinformed?

true true I think I mixed up a few results in my head. Just checked u r right

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yup.

Parise and Kovie were to Clarkson what Kessel and JVR are to Bozak

Right now Clarkson is a 5.25 million dollar Carter Ashton. I just don't see a fit at the moment. I'm also not sure why our record seemed to be better when he was out of the lineup. Sometimes players just don't fit your team no matter what previous success they've had or how much you want them too. Time will tell but it might be an expensive lesson especially when that money could be used on a top 4 D or more importantly resigning Bernier/Kadri next year.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Clarkson was tried everywhere but on the first line with Kessel and was a freaking disaster wherever RC played him .

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
God I just hope they don't force him into the top6 this year. He's going to **** up Kadri's development on a very very important year for him and Lupul for that matter.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
God I just hope they don't force him into the top6 this year. He's going to **** up Kadri's development on a very very important year for him and Lupul for that matter.

Clarkson looked absolutely terrible alongside Lupul and kadri last year. I think Leo Komarov would do way better on that line than Clarkson.

I'm fully expecting them to try and force it again :shakehead

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Didn't Clarkson play with Parise and Kovalchuk in New Jersey?

In 11-12, he played with them on the PP but close to 90% of his ESTOI was with neither of them.

In 12-13, Parise was gone but he played with Kovalchuk on the PP but again, close to 90% of his ESTOI was without him.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Clarkson looked absolutely terrible alongside Lupul and kadri last year. I think Leo Komarov would do way better on that line than Clarkson.

I'm fully expecting them to try and force it again :shakehead

If there is a fit for Clarkson (and I don't believe he should be in the top 6 at all), I think it would be with Holland and not Kadri.
PP time for Clarkson is fine but remember Tomas Holmstrom? Not a top 6 player but stood in front of the net on the PP. Clarkson should be 3rd line RW at the most. Prefer 4th line regardless of his salary.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
They gotta pay him but they don't need to play him.

They need to play him to assemble some form of value out of him - then hopefully unload him (even then, I don't know if it's possible). If he sits now, he's sitting for the next..6? years because he certainly isn't getting any younger/better. Can't see the Leafs or any team really doing that.

There is no scenario I see where a healthy Clarkson sitting. They almost have to force feed him minutes in the hopes he does something productive.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If we ever hope to unload him, we have to give him one last chance....gulp!

His contract will guarantee he will get plenty of chances on a scoring line unless the team struggles coming out of the gate . DN and RC look to be on thin ice and they'll try to save their own jobs first before they worry about the embarrassment of signing a 4th liner to that horrendous contract .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad