Sportsnet: Spott’s relationship with Clarkson a big asset

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
If Spott can get Clarkson playing better I'm fine with that. Though I don't think playing him top 6 makes sense with how he was last year. That guy just helped drag down Kadri's line. We need scoring in there and if he can't contribute at all then he should be third line.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
no purpose other than maybe dressing a player who could actually help the team

Let's give him a chance to see what he can do this year with a clean slate. I'm not expecting 30 goals but he could put up 15-20 in the right situation.

He was abysmal last year. I don't think anyone could deny that. But we unfortunately have him for another 6 years, and despite what fans say he WILL be dressed every night, so we should definitely try to play to his strengths and see what we can get out of it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Let's give him a chance to see what he can do this year with a clean slate. I'm not expecting 30 goals but 15-20 would be nice.

He was abysmal last year. I don't think anyone could deny that. But we unfortunately have him for another 6 years, and despite what fans say he WILL be dressed every night, so we should definitely try to play to his strengths and see what we can get out of it.

They certainly won't plant him in the Press Box but if he struggles like last year I could see them giving him the occasional night off.

This won't happen until well into the season though.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Let's give him a chance to see what he can do this year with a clean slate. I'm not expecting 30 goals but 15-20 would be nice.

we can keep wiping the slate clean ( like we did for Komi ) for another 6 years but it won't change the fact he's nothing more than a 4th liner

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
True.

That is why I hated that contract, Nonnis could be long gone when it really starts to sting in the last 3 to 4 years.

I dread to think what we would have to do to unload his contract, eat half his salary and buyout the last 3 years?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
we can keep wiping the slate clean ( like we did for Komi ) for another 6 years but it won't change the fact he's nothing more than a 4th liner

Well he has proven capable of scoring at a top-6 level before, so I'm not sure where you're getting the 4th liner stuff. At worst he's a capable third liner. An overpaid one, for sure. No arguments there.

Could we just be spared from the whole "bench him for the next 6 years" stuff, though? Let's be realistic here. That ain't happening.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
When speaking about the player Clarkson we unfortunately need to forget about his contract. He is paid like a top 6 but does not fit in there.
He would fit in well with Komorav providing muscle to back up Leo and his pest like play.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Call me crazy but I don't want to give up on a guy after just one season, even if it was as horrible of a season as Clarkson had. With that said, alot of things didn't go right for him last year, especially the 10 game suspension to start off the season.

IMO, Clarkson was at his best when he was playing with Bolland. Rough and tumble hockey. If he could spark a similar chemistry with Komarov, that may be a great line. Something like a Booth/Komarov/Clarkson or Winnik/Komarov/Clarkson could work out great and give us a pest/troll line to stir things up while still giving us some potential offensive output.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Call me crazy but I don't want to give up on a guy after just one season, even if it was as horrible of a season as Clarkson had. With that said, alot of things didn't go right for him last year, especially the 10 game suspension to start off the season.

IMO, Clarkson was at his best when he was playing with Bolland. Rough and tumble hockey. If he could spark a similar chemistry with Komarov, that may be a great line. Something like a Booth/Komarov/Clarkson or Winnik/Komarov/Clarkson could work out great and give us a pest/troll line to stir things up while still giving us some potential offensive output.

Not a bad idea.

Also, on Paper, Clarkson-Kadri-Lupul should also work. I know it didn't last year, but the guys had no time to gell due to Clarkson's suspension and Lupul's injuries.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

I agree with this.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Komarov-Kadri-Clarkson line a few times throughout the year. Obviously Komarov can't play top 6 mins and if Clarkson can is quite debateable.... But those 2 wingers would compliment Kadri perfectly. Two guys to just run the opposition defense and drive the net, creating plenty of space for Kadri to do his thing.

Wouldn't be a bad option for a few shifts mid-game just to throw off the opposition's line matching. Certainly not a viable long-term thing, but when used right, could be an effective line.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
I agree with this.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Komarov-Kadri-Clarkson line a few times throughout the year. Obviously Komarov can't play top 6 mins and if Clarkson can is quite debateable.... But those 2 wingers would compliment Kadri perfectly. Two guys to just run the opposition defense and drive the net, creating plenty of space for Kadri to do his thing.

Wouldn't be a bad option for a few shifts mid-game just to throw off the opposition's line matching. Certainly not a viable long-term thing, but when used right, could be an effective line.

Interesting thought, however, you are right that it should be temporary. Both have hands of stone and would probably bobble kadri's passes

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I say Clarkson scores 15 goals and 35+ points in a bounce back year.

Spott knows how to motivate Clarkson.

35 points and you consider that a bounce back year from a $5M plus winger - what a waste

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Interesting thought, however, you are right that it should be temporary. Both have hands of stone and would probably bobble kadri's passes

Yeah, certainly can't expect them to put up 50 pts each over the course of a year.
Clarkson's bread and butter is running the opposition and crashing the net. Komarov excels at this as well.

I'm just thinking of it in terms of defending against.....You go from having your opposition line matching against your top 2 lines to them fumbling on the fly to matchup against 3 lines.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
35 points and you consider that a bounce back year from a $5M plus winger - what a waste

The thing is....you just need to get over it. The contract is signed. Crying does nothing.

I find it mindboggling that people actually would rather see a player on our team crash and burn than have success or improvement. I guess it's bad for a fan to wish success upon a player?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
For the team's sake - I hope he is not paired with Kadri and Lupul, he is not a top six forward

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
To be honest, I'd rather play Lupul and Kadri with someone who an play defense. Winnik seems like a good candidate. He has shown capable of potting a few points as well. Santorelli could be another really good option if he slides to wing.

Or maybe Booth. Can Booth play defense adequately?

I realize that may not be maximizing that $5.25 million to play Clarkson as a crash and banger, but it's where his play warranted him playing.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
To be honest, I'd rather play Lupul and Kadri with someone who an play defense. Winnik seems like a good candidate. He has shown capable of potting a few points as well. Santorelli could be another really good option if he slides to wing.

Or maybe Booth. Can Booth play defense adequately?

I realize that may not be maximizing that $5.25 million to play Clarkson as a crash and banger, but it's where his play warranted him playing.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of Santorelli or Kontiola (sp?) are playing in the top 6 with Kadri. We've also been hearing lots about Lupul maybe being with Bozak-Kessel to get him going.

At this point in time, there really are about a million ways this lineup could shape up. Very interesting time for sure!

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if one of Santorelli or Kontiola (sp?) are playing in the top 6 with Kadri. We've also been hearing lots about Lupul maybe being with Bozak-Kessel to get him going.

At this point in time, there really are about a million ways this lineup could shape up. Very interesting time for sure!

Definitely.

I was all in favour of Lupul moving up in the offseason.

With JVR on Kadri's left, I could see them trying Clarkson on the right. Or maybe Holland, to see if he can get his offensive side going.

In the unlikely scenario that Nylander makes the team, JVR-Kadri-Nylander seems like a high potential 2nd line (with suspect D of course).

It was only one game, but if this was any indication of Kontiola's skating ability, I have a hard time imagining him being effective in that role. His skating was really awkward. Hopefully he was just mailing it in a bit, because it's pretty obvious he has talent.

How about:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Holland/Nylander
Booth-Santorelli-Winnik
Komarov-Kontiola-Clarkson

Carrick/Bodie/Ashton extras.

With the possibility of Holland and Clarkson switching lines depending on how they are doing? Of course, I might rather have Carrick in the 4th line roll. I'm a Carrick fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad