Sportsnet: Spott’s relationship with Clarkson a big asset

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Let's give him a chance to see what he can do this year with a clean slate. I'm not expecting 30 goals but he could put up 15-20 in the right situation.

He was abysmal last year. I don't think anyone could deny that. But we unfortunately have him for another 6 years, and despite what fans say he WILL be dressed every night, so we should definitely try to play to his strengths and see what we can get out of it.

He has no strengths. He was literally terrible at everything last year...even keeping his balance was a challenge for him.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
He has no strengths. He was literally terrible at everything last year...even keeping his balance was a challenge for him.

Sure he does. You don't score 45 goals over 1.5 seasons without having strengths. His biggest strengths are his shot and his board play. Give him a playmaker, have him do the heavy lifting down in the corners, don't have him carrying the puck into the offensive zone, and park him in front of the net on the PP2. Bam, 15-20 goals this season. He's like a more physical Michael Ryder.

hockeyfanz*

Man..I tend to agree here..but the Leafs are handcuffed. What are they supposed to do with this guy other than hope for the best. Nobody is taking this stiff off their hands....hopefully he becomes a bit more useful than what he showed last season. Which isn't really asking much.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
So he wasn't last year?

I say Clarkson scores 15 goals and 35+ points in a bounce back year.

Spott knows how to motivate Clarkson.

35 pts is like a 3rd liner then right, scarry, then a drop off again, year after year? :handclap:

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I wouldn't mind seeing him play with Nylander on a depth scoring line. You could have Holland in the middle.

Nylander - Holland - Clarkson

However, I think Holland has a chance of supplanting Bozak so we could see our first line C playing in the middle instead.

Ideal world, I'd prefer...

JVR - Holland - Lupul

Booth/ Kontiola - Kadri - Kessel

Nylander - Bozak - Clarkson

Komarov - Santa - Winnik

Four lines that could drive possession and provide scoring depth as well. Not one line would be a liability and that top line would be a two-way threat as well.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Clarkson hasn't even played yet. I say let him earn his spot. Handing him a top six role is crazy when you have so many options now with guys like Booth, Santorelli who have played there before too. I can see 2nd unit PP time. The way Komarov was retrieving pucks against Philly, I could see a good match with Clarkson on the other wing, taking passes from Komarov as he drives the net. Throw Kontiola or holland as the centre a creative and dependable pivots and you have a decent energy line with some grit.

Lupul. Bozak. Kessel
JVR. Kadri. Santorelli
Booth. Holland. Winnik
Komarov. Kontiola. Clarkson

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
So, Spott is going to be able to keep Clarkson upright on his skates?

Will Spott be able to keep Clarkson from all the giveaways?

Will Spott be able to get Clarkson to score more than 5 goals?

Will Spott be able to get Clarkson to actually EARN his pay cheque?

And, most importantly, will Spott be able to keep Clarkson from jumping over the boards at the wrong time?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Clarkson hasn't even played yet. I say let him earn his spot. Handing him a top six role is crazy when you have so many options now with guys like Booth, Santorelli who have played there before too. I can see 2nd unit PP time. The way Komarov was retrieving pucks against Philly, I could see a good match with Clarkson on the other wing, taking passes from Komarov as he drives the net. Throw Kontiola or holland as the centre a creative and dependable pivots and you have a decent energy line with some grit.

Lupul. Bozak. Kessel
JVR. Kadri. Santorelli
Booth. Holland. Winnik
Komarov. Kontiola. Clarkson

Komarov is to good for the 4th line.
3rd line minimum and I think he'd look good at time on JVR's opposite wing. Getting in hard on the forecheck and creating havoc and turnovers.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

And, most importantly, will Spott be able to keep Clarkson from jumping over the boards at the wrong time?

Maybe Spott will be in charge of putting a leash on Clarkson when he's on the bench so he physically can't jump over the boards :sarcasm:

hockeyfanz*

Go look at Tampa Bay's record without Stamkos.

Wins/Losses with/without a player means nothing

Or the Isles record without Tavares, for that matter.

Pretty basic case of correlation not meaning causation.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Where were you guys when Colby Armstrong was an "important piece" to the Leafs because their W/L record with and without Colby and his grit/leadership proved as much. I remember that well. I called BS then and I call BS now. But in Clarkson's case...he still stinks. Much like Colby, only Colby was much cheaper.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Where were you guys when Colby Armstrong was an "important piece" to the Leafs because their W/L record with and without Colby and his grit/leadership proved as much. I remember that well. I called BS then and I call BS now. But in Clarkson's case...he still stinks. Much like Colby, only Colby was much cheaper.

We don't say that name 'round these parts... I think Clarkson can rebound. I honestly think the whole team will be better this year. He's an advanced stats guy and if he can contribute in any way close to the way he did as a Devil then he'll be fine.

And if he still sucks after a few months? Have Randy put him up against Orr and McLaren in a checking drill until we can put him on LTIR.

Tyler Biggs*

Not his fault he was offered the kind of money he was. He had a bad season last year. I hope he learns from some of the mistakes he made and has a great season. He's a hometown guy, let's support him. Go Leafs Go!

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
In jersey his most common linemate was Elias... That guy is a smart veteran playmaker who knows how to cycle the right way... Leafs aren't a good cycle team, and Clarksons not a guy who drives cycles he supports it but he needs to be in a cycle system to be effective.

Also I notice the size of the defender Clarkson is up against down low with one on one battles heavily determines whether hes effective.

Playing on the 3rd line you typically see 3rd line D pairs and that tends to be the bigger tougher and stronger d men, maybe not as fast but Clarkson doesn't play a speed game he plays a cycle game. I don't think he can out muscle the 3rd pair D downlow on most teams and this makes him have more giveaways downlow on the 3rd line than he does on the 2nd line.

Sounds like excuses but its things I noticed with the difference between his game in jersey and his game here.

The powerplay time is definitely a factor as well, but I seriously think JVR and Leivo should be our powerplay net presence guys, Leivo has amazing hands in tight on the net and can tip everything.

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
The Clarkson contract is by far the best reason they had to fire Nonis (Carlyle probably had a hand in this as well). Not because it demonstrates such poor judgement (it obviously does that), but because, as long as the GM who signed him is sitting in upstairs, they'll be trying to save face. We saw this unfold with Burke and Komisarek, Finger and Fletcher, JFJ and Toskala ... guys who don't belong in the NHL given silly contracts and damn near sinking the team.

Having this guy on the roster totally belies any claim management or coaches make about there being a meritocracy. Take away the contract and everyone knows that Clarkson would be, at best, a depth forward and most likely just waived.

Clarkson should be made to earn his spot like everyone else. On that basis, he should be promptly sent to the Marlies to rediscover his game. No one will claim him (and, if they do, I'll lead the parade down Yonge St.).

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Clarkson should be made to earn his spot like everyone else. On that basis, he should be promptly sent to the Marlies to rediscover his game. No one will claim him (and, if they do, I'll lead the parade down Yonge St.).

Except he has a NMC, so they can't send him to the Marlies. He'll have to figure his game out either in the press box or in the bottom 6.

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
Except he has a NMC, so they can't send him to the Marlies. He'll have to figure his game out either in the press box or in the bottom 6.

Ack! I didn't know this.

In any event, if he continues to struggle, he should agree to head to the Marlies to work out his game and re-earn his roster spot. Otherwise, spend the next six years sitting in the pressbox.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I think we should tape his gloves on, wrap him in bubble wrap, have him lay on our goal line are roll four skaters.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Well Spott can't play for him

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
Ack! I didn't know this.

In any event, if he continues to struggle, he should agree to head to the Marlies to work out his game and re-earn his roster spot. Otherwise, spend the next six years sitting in the pressbox.

Now THIS is the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

Why would anyone even think this could be a possibility?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad