News Article: Sportsnet: Trouba Requests Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
And no, I don't need any introspection about this. Integrity is more important to me than riches, I don't have any problem saying so.

you do realize he's an unsigned free agent and his actions shouldn't have any bearing on integrity or lack thereof.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
you do realize he's an unsigned free agent and his actions shouldn't have any bearing on integrity or lack thereof.

But they do because he is Jets property...and he could have helped his cause exponentially by signing a decent contract and continue to play well given that it would give him. More value and make him easier to trade.

Instead....this happens.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
The good long term signings are far exceeding the players who left. And are you suggesting Ladd is young? Getting a 1st and another 1st on his ELC is a pretty nice return for a couple ineffective hockey from Ladd.

So Dano (who doesn't seem to fit, probably won't be here long) & Stanley? Looks like it might turn out to be a whole lot of nothing.

Pretty sure I was the biggest proponent here for trading Ladd going back to 2013. Back when we might've received something resembling value.

Last edited:

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013

Maybe I need to be way more clear when I comment, but that part of my post had absolutely nothing to do with the Trouba/Jets situation.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
But they do because he is Jets property...and he could have helped his cause exponentially by signing a decent contract and continue to play well given that it would give him. More value and make him easier to trade.

Instead....this happens.

Bingo- Trouba could have simply signed a contract similar to his cohorts while increasing his own value by playing top pairing minutes next to Buff.

Instead he waits on the sidelines while Chevy has not been able to find a deal anywhere.

Probably in the players best interest to be getting better on the ice then sitting at home with his dog.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
So Dano (who doesn't seem to fit, probably won't be here long) & Stanley? Looks like it might turn out to be a whole lot of nothing.

Pretty sure I was the biggest proponent here for trading Ladd going back to 2013. Back when we might've received something resembling value.

I was on the same page, wanted Ladd traded the year before last when he peaked, but Im still okay with the return, but it wouldve been better earlier for sure.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Dano (doesn't seem to fit, probably won't be here long) & Stanley? A whole lot of nothing.

Dano seems like a fit to me, and I'll wait on judging Stanley until he at least starts his draft +1 season. Either way Ladd was gone and no doubt we could have had him back if we wanted to give an even worse contract than the Islanders. It is also pretty easy to go back and say a players should have been traded at their optimal value. The problem being 3 years ago Ladd was our top LW and an important part of the team with a couple years left on his contract. Scheifele's value is probably at an all time high today with a fresh 8 year contract. should we trade him now because the return will be worse 8 years from now?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Bingo- Trouba could have simply signed a contract similar to his cohorts while increasing his own value by playing top pairing minutes next to Buff.

Instead he waits on the sidelines while Chevy has not been able to find a deal anywhere.

Probably in the players best interest to be getting better on the ice then sitting at home with his dog.

He wants what he wants and he wants it now

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Trouba won't sign a contract with the jets because then we can trade him for the best return!!!! He is simply forcing his way to a city he wants to play in... I hope people realize what he is doing is trying to handcuf our team to trading him to only a handful of teams his agent will negotiate with! Trouba is the bad guy her!

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
He wants what he wants and he wants it now

As you say to a child... you can want whatever you like, but you don't always get that. If Trouba starts missing paychecks, that's entirely his fault.

There's only one thing Overhardt can do to force Chevy to trade him before the season starts, but if he does that, I have a feeling that Chevy will just abandon the idea of trading Trouba and lets him sit for the season.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
The problem being 3 years ago Ladd was our top LW and an important part of the team with a couple years left on his contract. Scheifele's value is probably at an all time high today with a fresh 8 year contract. should we trade him now because the return will be worse 8 years from now?

The team was mired in No Man's Land, in no position to compete during his contract. You move Ladd then & Kane gets to play on the top line for a year and maybe you pump his value up before selling. We should've been positioning ourselves for the McDavid draft like Buffalo.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
De Haan would be a fantastic acquisition. I too would be hesitant to give up Petan; maybe start negotiations with a lesser prospect and/or picks and see if they'd bite. In the end, I'd live with it.

Can you imagine:

Enstrom Buff
De Haan Hamonic
Morrissey Myers
Chiarot Postma

That is a deep, skilled group of defenseman.

You lose one of those top 5 in the expansion draft, and not Enstrom.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Trouba won't sign a contract with the jets because then we can trade him for the best return!!!! He is simply forcing his way to a city he wants to play in... I hope people realize what he is doing is trying to handcuf our team to trading him to only a handful of teams his agent will negotiate with! Trouba is the bad guy her!

Part of the problem being while Trouba is a good young D with a lot of potential he is not so special that Overhardt can force movement (IE. Lindros good). Lets say in 2 years McDavid's agent makes this type of power play he can force something to happen as teams will compete to get him because he is a special player. With Trouba those teams that may be interested will not rush in and instead try to take advantage. Chevy will need to be unbending and patient to extract full value.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
As an aside, as GMs, NHLPA, and the CBA continue to take power away from young players during their best performing seasons, I can understand why young players will be doing things like this more and more often in the future.

As Copp basically said: We selfishly wish things were different, but in a business Trouba is fine to do what he views as best for himself provided it is okay in the CBA. The team will now do what they view is best.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
But if Chevy would have traded Trouba for pennies on the dollar when he has all the leverage everyone would be up in arms at how much of an idiot he is. Trading Trouba for value is no easy task. No team is taking him on unless it is a desirable landing spot for him and the GM is comfortable that Overhardt will sign a fair market deal. That team then has to have the cap space to sign Trouba or the means to unload contract and all the while be willing to move an approx equal value young asset in return. No one is going to voluntarily take on Chevy's headache unless those items are checked off.

If Trouba had signed a 6 year deal at $5 AAV Chevy could have already moved him for a fair return.

Yea I think this point is getting lost on some but not all.

Kane Bogo Myers Stafford

Larsson Hall

Jones Johanson

All these deals were possible because the players were under contract with limited movement restrictions.

JACOB IS A FREE AGENT and can poison pill any proposal at this point and has been able to at every stage of these negociations. Conversely, TNSE are under no obligation to make Jacob happy. This is a Mexican stand off. So getting a trade done is most likely gong to be extremely tough.

Now come the start of the season we shall see how Jacob's resolve is when he starts missing out on pay cheques that would probably be close to $200,000 every two weeks ($5 million to lazy to do the exact math). That is money that he never gets back because ever career has a finite length. Drip drip one month gone $400k in life time earnings eroded.

Maybe cash doesn't matter that much to him but with the uncertainty of careers I would think it might register. Conversely TNSE do not have a top asset on the ice and obviously that may be a distraction especially if they get off to a slow start or suffer an injury to a top 4 D man.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
No. Simply, what are the list of equivalent LHDs. Ignoring situations, GMs, team need, etc.

One step at a time. Besides, most GMs are still willing to go after Trouba with this.

Lindholm.

....klefbom?

Lindholm again...

...yah I have no idea.

North

Jun 25, 2009

He is an unsigned restricted free agent so his rights still belong to the Jets.

We can't question his integrity when it's clear that he and his agent went public to try to force Chevy's hand?

Jacob Trouba is all about Jacob Trouba and that's okay, but in this situation, it's okay to question his integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad