News Article: Sportsnet: Trouba Requests Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Just watched Copp's media briefing, he seemed like he didn't want to talk about it at all but also seemed like he really understands where Jacob is coming from...

I'm willing to guess he knows more than any other Jet. After Trouba gets dealt, it will be interesting to see if he reveals anything or not.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
In looking around at various Trouba trade proposals I came across this guy.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=223515
He looks to me to have been undrafted with his class in 2015. The Flyers then signed him. How can they do that? What am I missing?

He had a breakout year in 2016. (Stanley should do as well next year. LOL)

You can sign any undrafted player between draft and start of next season. Its how the Jets signed Axel Blomqvist after he went undrafted. The player must have played the entire previous season in north america though.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why would Chevy lose a player who wants to be here for a player who doesn't want to be here? A Jet has to go to Vegas.

But it won't be one of Trouba's value. Not even close. Even if Trouba goes to Europe and threatens to never return Chevy protects him. He is multiple levels above any player who will be available in the expansion draft - from any team. The only exception would be if LV makes an offer for him and it would have to be a good offer. I'm not sure there is any way LV could offer enough.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Quality is better then quantity most times. Stafford was/is a 3rd liner at best (we got about 20 games from him in this trade) and two questionable prospects who were low on Sabres list and a late 1st. Last time I seen the numbers Bogo performed better then Myers post trade. At best the trade was "ok" imo and yet to see how any of these dark horses turn into anything more then 4th line plugs/filler/AHL filler. Oshie would of been much better trade

It's worth keeping in mind that Oshie came with his own question marks, including his tendency to disappear in the playoffs. Knowing what I know now, I would definitely have made the trade. Back then, I probably would have done it too, but I wouldn't have been certain that we won the trade.

In any case, looking at the trade we actually DID make in hindsight, we traded an injury prone D-man for an equal D-man (Bogosian has slightly better shot metrics, but much worse actual production), and quantity for Kane, but better quantity than Kane.

If Lemieux, Armia and Roslovic end up not being actual NHLers, I'd argue that we still win the trade. We could have done better, but it's still more than just an okay trade, IMO.

This is going OT, and I'm honestly not that interested in discussing the Kane trade today. I agree that Chevy's tendency to wait until the very last moment before making trades is likely to come back to bite us at some point. I don't think it mattered that much in the Kane trade. That's my last take on the topic in this trade.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Chevy's statement alternatively translated by my linux browser buried deep beneath the desert in Nevada:

“Over the last three seasons, Jacob Trouba has played a key role for the Winnipeg Jets and in our view still represents an important part of the long-term future of our club,” said Cheveldayoff. “As such, any decisions made regarding Jacob Trouba will be made in the best interest of the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club."

Given that Trouba has played top-2 minutes on our team, we were counting on him filling that role going forward. As such, the trades suggested by his agent and others thus far are woefully inadequate and do not fill the hole in the lineup that trading him would leave. You may believe that trading Trouba for picks and prospects replaces him, but the club does not agree.

“As an unsigned player, we cannot compel Jacob to report to training camp at this time. However, we will continue to work diligently to resolve this matter.”

We may not be able to force Trouba to sign with us, but we are aware you are releasing this statement today in an attempt to improve your own leverage. Until such point when we are able to find a deal that benefits the hockey club versus solely the player, a deal that replaces his value in our lineup, be aware that the team will dictate the timeline here and not the player. As such, the player and his representative should probably govern themselves accordingly and we suggest they should not hold their breath for resolution of this matter at anytime in the near future.

Disclaimer: this is an exercise in creative writing and only represents my own opinion and not necessarily those of any of the parties involved in this situation.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Do you want my #9 EKane jersey? Special deal for you today.

On topic: whatever the reason, if he doesn't want to be here then get max value for him. I'm sure Chevy will be patient and wait for a trade that suits him. I harbour no bitterness for Trouba, just move on from him.

Yup, this.

Even if he turns around and says 'just negotiating' and signs I would continue to shop him until I got the right return. Then he is gone. No bitterness but no trust either.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Why do I feel that had Trouba roomed with anyone other than Bogo that first season, this wouldn't be a happening today.

I listened to Perreault's interview, hats off for saying exactly what most are thinking, MP surprised me with his honesty, and I respect that.

There was a time I wondered if Perreault wanted to be here but after this interview, he is all in with Winnipeg.

I agree, since uncle Bogo was traded Trouba has looked totally disinterested. I am not surprised that he wants out of the Peg but will be surprised if Chevy trades him without a team friendly contract.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Why the heck should I look at it objectively: I'm a Jets fan first, not a Trouba fan first. Team over players for me. His agent can suck an egg. :laugh:

At least you honestly state your not being objective here, I respect that. Trouba also can say same in reverse, go suck an egg chevy....trade me. I'm objective enough I see both sides POV and completely understand Trouba desire to be traded.....if I was him I would of at least thought long and hard about doing the same.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Despite the emotional feeling about trouba asking for a trade, can anyone actually say they feel confident in management around this?

They have now not only created a situation where a very good young dman wants out, but have already missed the boat on the possibility of acquiring a franchise level winger for him (hall).

Add in the possibility of the old harmonic swap that was not executed.

I mean come on. The environment that trouba feels he can't play an was created by our management either by A)doing what trouba says is why he's leaving (ice time). Or b) not building a strong enough team/environment to get him to buy in despite not loving the city.

Where was Chevy's vaunted interview process that identifies character better than any other org? The process that traded up for Logan Stanley because of his great interview.

Don't want to pound that point too hard but it deserves to be mentioned in this context.

I think a more important point is why did Chevy not trade Trouba sooner? There must have been opportunities at times better than this. Avoiding a panic trade and waiting for the right offer is one thing. Watching opportunity pass by is another.

I'm not convinced that the Hall trade was there for us and I didn't like Trouba for Hamonic. Trouba is both better and younger than Hamonic and I don't think NYI would have added. In fact, considering contracts they may not have wanted Trouba. But surely there was something out there. We could have bundled 22 & 36 & a F + Trouba before the draft.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Why the heck should I look at it objectively: I'm a Jets fan first, not a Trouba fan first. Team over players for me. His agent can suck an egg. :laugh:

This X 100. Premaddonna who thinks playing 25 minutes on top pair with Buff isn't good enough. MP's statement says it best, Trouba is a me guy, players won't want him back.
Im more ticked cause it's my son's favorite player and he wonders why he's not playing as he wore his Trouba jersey today.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Overhardt has a track record of this stuff with players coming off their ELCs - Dubinsky, Turris, Johaneson. Turris held out until the last couple days before the December deadline, signed and was subsequently traded to Ottawa for a song. However, in the Turris case, PHX was in dire straights financially and Turris did not have near the value that Trouba has at that time.

If we don't get a really good offer, I don't think Chevy has a choice here but to play chicken and tell Overhardt "we aren't trading him. Please call us if/when Trouba wants to play in the NHL in the next four years. Bye"

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Overhardt has a track record of this stuff with players coming off their ELCs - Dubinsky, Turris, Johaneson. Turris held out until the last couple days before the December deadline, signed and was subsequently traded to Ottawa for a song. However, in the Turris case, PHX was in dire straights financially and Turris did not have near the value that Trouba has at that time.

If we don't get a really good offer, I don't think Chevy has a choice here but to play chicken and tell Overhardt "we aren't trading him. Please call us if/when Trouba wants to play in the NHL in the next four years. Bye"

Chevy will be patient. JMo will play well which will allow them to sit and wait. If a great offer comes and it may as a team may be proactive and want to get Trouba, then take it, but if not then there is no rush. Hurts the team in the end but you can't give him away.

ediger

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
This X 100. Premaddonna who thinks playing 25 minutes on top pair with Buff isn't good enough. MP's statement says it best, Trouba is a me guy, players won't want him back.
Im more ticked cause it's my son's favorite player and he wonders why he's not playing as he wore his Trouba jersey today.

Trouba was born in '94. I'd say that's Post-Madonna.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Bryan-Little-at-IcePlex-300x200.jpg

Just got back from IcePlex. Added Pavelec, Stuart, Thorburn and Copp. Also added the Perreault video which is well worth watching if you haven't yet.

Click here.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
well, it's just that.

if you're Trouba and you sit out camp, you start to miss your biweekly paycheques. and what if the Jets get off to a good start? his value drop? he get more of an impatient itch?

it's not the best strategy for an agent to employ.

And yet Overhardt keeps doing it.

There is talk of a Russian effect, a discounting of Russian prospects because of the threat they will go home to play. I don't know that there is any evidence to support this idea or not. It seems that when push comes to shove GM's pony up and draft the Russian because he is too good to pass over.

When do young players start to devalue themselves, if even by a very small amount when they sign with an agent like Overhardt? Has he had any clients who are good players and have not created this kind of situation at contract time? If Overhardt is successful all the agents will begin using the same tactics. If I was a GM I would think twice about drafting his clients. Like the Russians I would probably do it in the end but I would certainly think about it.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Chevy will be patient. JMo will play well which will allow them to sit and wait. If a great offer comes and it may as a team may be proactive and want to get Trouba, then take it, but if not then there is no rush. Hurts the team in the end but you can't give him away.

Jets thrive under adversity. This is blessing in disguise.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
As you say yourself, there is a demand for agents like him, he is very rich off it as are his clients. Anyone holding it against another person for earning their full potential needs to look in the mirror.

Lol that wasn't my point. I'm saying that hiring an agent who operates like Overhardt says something about your priorities and character. In a team sport like hockey, this can be very damaging to a franchise, so teams need to/may start being more careful when they look to add players represented by these types of agents. I'm not holding anything against Jacob, I was responding to the statement you made which greatly glosses over the personalities involved here.

And no, I don't need any introspection about this. Integrity is more important to me than riches, I don't have any problem saying so.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yep, this notion that the Jets have screwed Trouba over and stalled his career is absurd. He has been given plenty of opportunity and his career has been progressing nicely even though he has been paired on and off with Stuart. This upcoming season he was going to be paired with an NHL all-star defencemen albeit playing his offside and might have been in store for a truly breakout season where he could also show the hockey world his versatility in playing both right and left.

Instead under his agent's advice he is going to sit out and show the hockey world nothing.

Agreed. My first thought was 'trade Myers' but that wouldn't solve anything.

Playing the offside is not a big enough issue to justify this. It may be real but it is small potatoes.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So now 3 young top ten picks have demanded out over the last 2 years. Frolik walked for nothing, they were forced to deal Ladd for
rental prices....

Can't wait to see what happens with Bryan Little next season in his final year! He goes... Blake won't be far behind.

The good long term signings are far exceeding the players who left. And are you suggesting Ladd is young? Getting a 1st and another 1st on his ELC is a pretty nice return for a couple ineffective hockey from Ladd.

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
Everyone claiming how Trouba was affected by being put in a role he where he will be able to grow should read this article. Trouba himself said it is not a big deal - some learning involved.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/columnists/jets-would-send-wrong-message-caving-to-impetuous-players-394737051.html

I don't agree with Wiecek that the Jets trade value has plummeted. Perhaps with a run of mill 3rd or 4th liner maybe, but with a 1st pair d-man all teams will be trying to get him.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Agreed. Chevy dragged his heels hurt Kane value vs the year before or before that. Now we learn Chevy has known about the trade demand for about 5 months and done nothing yet to-date that we know of, let's hope he didn't spend another whole summer at the cabin and had plenty of talks

Lots of second guessing and random assumptions regarding the Kane / bogo trade and troubas situation. You can know for years that someone wants a trade but if you don't have a willing trade partner or you're not getting value in return you simply don't have a trade to make. This isn't a board game, it's real business people making million dollar deals. They don't usually negotiate these deals in the media so we have no idea what was it wasn't available. I'm also sure that Chevy knew this was at least a possibility and he's been working under this assumption all summer maybe longer. We find out about things when they decide to tell us.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You can sign any undrafted player between draft and start of next season. Its how the Jets signed Axel Blomqvist after he went undrafted. The player must have played the entire previous season in north america though.

'K thanks. We had an invite at Youngstars but I believe he played in Europe. That would be the difference.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Where was Chevy's vaunted interview process that identifies character better than any other org? The process that traded up for Logan Stanley because of his great interview.

Don't want to pound that point too hard but it deserves to be mentioned in this context.

I think a more important point is why did Chevy not trade Trouba sooner? There must have been opportunities at times better than this. Avoiding a panic trade and waiting for the right offer is one thing. Watching opportunity pass by is another.

I'm not convinced that the Hall trade was there for us and I didn't like Trouba for Hamonic. Trouba is both better and younger than Hamonic and I don't think NYI would have added. In fact, considering contracts they may not have wanted Trouba. But surely there was something out there. We could have bundled 22 & 36 & a F + Trouba before the draft.
Why dont people understand that just because something isnt done doesn't mean that it wasnt tried.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed. Chevy dragged his heels hurt Kane value vs the year before or before that. Now we learn Chevy has known about the trade demand for about 5 months and done nothing yet to-date that we know of, let's hope he didn't spend another whole summer at the cabin and had plenty of talks

But if Chevy would have traded Trouba for pennies on the dollar when he has all the leverage everyone would be up in arms at how much of an idiot he is. Trading Trouba for value is no easy task. No team is taking him on unless it is a desirable landing spot for him and the GM is comfortable that Overhardt will sign a fair market deal. That team then has to have the cap space to sign Trouba or the means to unload contract and all the while be willing to move an approx equal value young asset in return. No one is going to voluntarily take on Chevy's headache unless those items are checked off.

If Trouba had signed a 6 year deal at $5 AAV Chevy could have already moved him for a fair return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad