News Article: Sportsnet: Trouba Requests Trade - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Wouldn't all these players been told 1000 times that they don't EVER go to media without discussing with the agent first? Negotiating 101. I don't neccessarily buy that Trouba was naive. I think he momentarily lost it and was then reined back in. This story isn't over yet. :popcorn:

Or perhaps they just read Wiecek's article and realize there could be some "interesting" questions arising from the 180 turn Trouba has made in less than 2 weeks.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Okay, Lawless needs to ask Overhardt whether there are any off limit trade destinations, and if so, why?

This is going to be a PR war that was started by Overhardt. The blowback has already stung Trouba, I think. I highly doubt there is a rift, though. But it won't hurt for there to be heavy or pressure on Trouba. It might Chevy more flexibility in trade destination options, and Trouba might be willing to reduce contract demands, which would boost trade value.

Absolutely. Put Overfart on the spot then call him out if he gives a wishy washy answer.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Because I think the real answer is "no", and the Jets might need to call him out for saying it's all about playing time and role. Get him on record saying he'd be okay to go any where he could play more RD.

Who cares really, not sure the point. He has a right to play or not, jets have a right to trade him or not. Seems like a vain POV

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
This is what Trouba pays his agent to do. Not surprising that the agent is doing the interview. Not sure why Trouba agreed to the interview in the first place.

Can't see the Trouba camp winning many PR wars in this contract stalemate.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It's certainly something we haven't seen before. It's new to Overhardt's playbook, but I'm not sure what it will accomplish. It probably won't get him traded any faster.

Don't think that was the point, likely just wanted to clear the air with fans, city, etc. Good on him, but agent now reminded him this is a business and taking over. Both jets and agent are playing business, no room for anything else

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Lots of factors in play in a very short time! IMHO, here is how they are playing out...

Trouba's family--Have always been very controlling, with grandiose ideas about how and where their kid will achieve stardom. Reminds me a bit of the Lindros family.

Overhardt--A head case who is used winning with aggressive tactics. He has met his match with TNSE and will default to even more audacious tactics if given the opportunity. Going public at this point was idiotic and we will have to see what damage control ensues.

The Jets leadership group--They are a wild card--a very strong and cohesive bunch, who are not going to stand idly by and allow another Kane saga. Their influence with Trouba--who I believe is much better liked in the dressing room than Kane-- and the immediacy of social media could have a major effect on Trouba's position.

Trouba himself--I see him as much more passive than people think. He is being manipulated by all sorts of people who think they are smarter than they actually are, and know what's best for JT, which they do not.

The next few days will be very interesting. The prolonged holdout is no surprise at all, but the public statement by Overhardt was completely idiotic. There is a real possibility, albeit small, that Trouba's family will fire Overhardt once they realize his latest tactic is blowing up in their faces.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Who cares really, not sure the point. He has a right to play or not, jets have a right to trade him or not. Seems like a vain POV

In a PR scrap it helps to have your opposition on record, especially if it helps your position. If Overhardt says they'll be happy with a trade anywhere, Chevy has that ammo if he needs it. If he says that Trouba would not like some destinations, it paints him in a bad light, which is also to Chevy's advantage. It helps the Jets if Overhardt isn't allowed to completely control the message. They need to be challenged a bit.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Don't think that was the point, likely just wanted to clear the air with fans, city, etc. Good on him, but agent now reminded him this is a business and taking over. Both jets and agent are playing business, no room for anything else

No I think there's more to it. There's no way Overhardt wasn't involved in getting Trouba on Lawless show. They are friends from Peterborough. There was a change of heart.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
No I think there's more to it. There's no way Overhardt wasn't involved in getting Trouba on Lawless show. They are friends from Peterborough. There was a change of heart.

Agreed. Maybe Overhardt went over talking points with Trouba and realized it could be a tire fire and decided to step in instead.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Agree. There are no good intentions in any of this strategy. This is simply people who are used to getting what they want but they run into a more formidable opponent.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well I guess Trouba has a long wait ahead of him

Let Overhardt start making all the calls to teams to drum up interest. He might have to give a team a sweetheart deal to facilitate a trade, though. Chevy should tell Overhardt he tried his best but couldn't find a deal that worked. Sorry. Let me know if you want to chat any time in the future. I'm focusing on other issues.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

Obviously people care or it wouldn't have been asked in the first place. Perhaps some are interested if Trouba feelings towards certain trade destinations might negatively impact a possible trade to those cities, or no questions can be asked and the agent can just repeat what was in the statement released on Saturday.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Chevy should tell Trouba and his agent- 4.75 million 6 years final offer till Dec 1, no bridge deals, no nothing, non negotiable. Say we're trying to find a trading partner but we're not gonna settle for less than fair value, trying to trade you unsigned or on a bridge deal when you have already asked for a trade from a team doesn't get us good value. Sign this long-term deal or sit.

The Jets can afford to tank a year and get into the Liljegren sweepstakes. Either Trouba sits out and the Jets suck giving us nice draft pick or the Jets come out strong and Trouberhardt have egg on their face with a Drouin 2.0 situation

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Chevy should tell Trouba and his agent- 4.75 million 6 years final offer till Dec 1, no bridge deals, no nothing, non negotiable. Say we're trying to find a trading partner but we're not gonna settle for less than fair value, trying to trade you unsigned or on a bridge deal when you have already asked for a trade from a team doesn't get us good value. Sign this long-term deal or sit.

The Jets can afford to tank a year and get into the Liljegren sweepstakes. Either Trouba sits out and the Jets suck giving us nice draft pick or the Jets come out strong and Trouberhardt have egg on their face with a Drouin 2.0 situation
Seriously this is trouba not doughtyor karlsson

ComplexChris

#RideTheLAINE
Feb 27, 2014
Lainepeg
you're clearly on Team Trouba.
they're not parting ways just yet. they're in too deep to part ways.

I do want Trouba to stay but I am fine with him leaving for the right price. Was quite disappointed about it yesterday though but it's all good now, as long as we get the right price for him which I think Chevy is doing (LHD similar age and capability).

That's true but what's happening with this is very odd.

jetman

May 21, 2015
So if the Jets don't trade Trouba before the start of the season. How long do you think it will take until Trouba caves in a signs a contract? Or will he go to the KHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad