News Article: Sportsnet: Trouba Requests Trade - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Chipman better not force Chevy to do anything.

We are talking about the man who after being part of a group that couldn't save the Jets slowly and methodically acquired an AHL franchise, built a new downtown arena, and quietly planted the seeds and waited for 16 years to bring and NHL team back to Winnipeg. Mark did save the Jets it just took him 16 years to win the war after he losing the original battle. If Chevy is a black belt in being patient to a fault Mark is Master Splinter level (yes I have a 7 year old son :laugh:).

Swift trade with amazing return for the Jets notwithstanding :sarcasm:. We have assembled the absolute dream owner-GM combination to wait as long as it takes to get the return we need for our prized asset. Of this I have zero doubt.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It is my understanding if this goes past Dec 1 st and Trouba is not eligible to play in the NHL this year, he will still owe the Jets 4 years b4 becoming a UFA. As it takes 7 years of service or the player reaches the age of 27. If Trouba plays this season he can get to 7 years of service by age 26, because he started in the NHL at age 19. If he misses this season ( just like Burmi going to the KHL delayed his UFA status by 2 years)he will not be a UFA until at least 27 years of age.

I am all for Jets management going quiet on the issue and waiting him out. If Trouba misses significant games and wants to come crawling back at the end of November......then the only deal on the table at that time is a 6 year 4.5-4.7 mill contract. W ith a favorable contract like that we can trade him easy for a kings ransom next off season. With him under contract we could trade him to any team not having the Trouba camp trying to dictate teams and term.:popcorn:

Are there any grounds defined in the CBA for a player to take the contract into arbitration if the only thing the rights-owning team offers is a "take it or leave it" type of thing that would objectively look like it's intentionally overlong and underpaying? As stated, the "penalty" for a player failing to sign is hefty one with the postponement of the UFA status, so there can be an element of "forcing" the player to sign a poor deal there.

Or is it all good because the player has the option of not signing and seeking a more legit Offer Sheet contract from another team, which he presumably should get if he is substantially better than the team-offered contract would imply?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
We are talking about the man who after being part of a group that couldn't save the Jets slowly and methodically acquired an AHL franchise, built a new downtown arena, and quietly planted the seeds and waited for 16 years to bring and NHL team back to Winnipeg. Mark did save the Jets it just took him 16 years to win the war after he losing the original battle. If Chevy is a black belt in being patient to a fault Mark is Master Splinter level (yes I have a 7 year old son :laugh:).

Swift trade with amazing return for the Jets notwithstanding :sarcasm:. We have assembled the absolute dream owner-GM combination to wait as long as it takes to get the return we need for our prized asset. Of this I have zero doubt.

Chipman very unlikely he would force anything imo

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Because when you are in a negotiation your job is to isolate the opposing party's primary objection and deal only with that first. Since Trouba's party made it clear they in no way wanted to be in Winnipeg (according to his agent) there is no reason to discuss money. If Trouba indicates staying in Winnipeg and playing on the left side is an option only then would you talk money.

That's the curious part. Why no offers? Even if Overhardt has insisted on a trade from the start, you'd still expect a contract offer. This is going to be a fascinating story to watch develop. I'm sure Chevy has a plan, but I'm not exactly sure what it is.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Its going to be a hard pill to swallow for our fan base, but we need to exercise patience at all levels should TNSE choose to sit back and dissolve all leverage that Trouba and his agent believe they have.

If I am Chevy, I would be beyond coy and ambivilent with Overhardt, to a point that I would issue a statement to the Trouba Camp that reads something like this:

We are sorry to hear Jacobs's desire to request a trade from Winnipeg, to further his career in a role he sees as optimal.

While Jacobs well being is important to us, the Winnipeg Jets very busy operating a hockey team, getting training camp underway and preparing for this upcoming season.

Due to these circumstances, as the GM of the Winnipeg Jets, I will only be able to entertain discussions, negotiations and potential offers involving your client, Jacob Trouba during my morning bowel movement bathroom break.

This usually is conducted between 9am and 9:20 am daily, depending on what I ate the previous evening. During this time period, Monday to Friday, I will answer the phone, and or texts involving your client, but anything outside of this time period, will be ignored.

Should any potential suitors hear a toilet flushing, that will signal the end of Trouba trade talks, and we will not be resuming the conversation till the following morning bowel movement.

Should you hear a toilet flushing after our phone conversation is over, chances are you are hearing the sounds of Trouba's career.

Any form of constipation will result in a negotiation talk freeze.

Sincerely Chevy.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Chipman very unlikely he would force anything imo

Mark would be part of the discussions but they both have the same business goal and he would not force anything. I am 99.9% sure Mark would back Chevy to let Jacob sit for as long as it takes.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
The next move is Trouba's - not Chevy's. Trouba has to indicate that staying in Winnipeg and playing where Maurice wants him to play is an option. Until that happens Chevy's job is sit and do nothing except field trade offers.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
If there is no chance of signing Trouba into his UFA years I would actually prefer if he did sit out this year and extend his RFA age. The Jets aren't contenders this year anyways.

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
these 1290 callers are hilarious...one guy mad because we are saying he should sit...he is deciding to sit not us. WE are playing within the rules of the CBA he is not. We want him to play, he does not....This is all brought on by Jacob, not the Jets..

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
these 1290 callers are hilarious...one guy mad because we are saying he should sit...he is deciding to sit not us. WE are playing within the rules of the CBA he is not. We want him to play, he does not....This is all brought on by Jacob, not the Jets..

Trouba is playing within the rules of the CBA, too.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Agree with this, but your reference to your son got me thinking about mine.
My son is exactly Trouba's age and already very accomplished as a young man. But he consults his parents on every major life decision and, amazingly, often listens to us.

Twenty-two years old is not old at all in today's complex world. And Trouba, from what I have gleaned, is not nearly as mature as, say, a Josh Morrissey nor as grounded and motivated as a Mark Scheifele. He was precocious as a hockey player but likely behind the curve in lots of other ways. His parents and agent are the primary architects of this drama, so I think we should give the kid some slack. I still hold out faint hope that the leadership group of the Jets will be a positive influence in the next month, as they like the kid and likely understand how confusing a situation this can be.

Trouba is not Kane, not even close.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

but the numbers say everyone is holding him back and that is why he wants to get traded.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ok I wasn't going to do this but this morning I am feeling petty. :laugh:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/trouba-takes-on-own-app-277037201.html

paywall protected so I will give you this nugget.

Jacob Trouba is going where no NHL player has gone before -- your smartphone.

The Jets sophomore defenceman has launched his own free app, an initiative that will give his fans an inside look at his day-to-day life, access to exclusive pictures and video from his days as a junior and special offers from app sponsors. The initiative is a partnership between the Jets star, his father, John, and his business partner Jack Herberholz.

"It's geared towards building his brand in the local marketplace," said the elder Trouba. "We want to really engage with fans in Winnipeg and give them exclusive content about what's going on in his life."

He said while countless NHL players have a variety of social-media accounts, be believes his son is the first to have his own app. He's also a leader in sports in general, as only a handful of other athletes have already blazed this trail.

The hockey-playing Trouba won't do any of the administrative work but will provide regular videos for the app. He's a regular user of Twitter and Instagram, so that won't be much of a stretch for him. He's looking forward to being the first guinea pig.

So Jacob....Daddy Don had that brilliant app idea to build your brand and thought nuclear Kurt Blowhard was a good choice for an agent. How is your advisory team treating you these days.

Don: "So Jacob I know it looks like we chunked it on the app but it was a great idea, Winnipeg is just too small and backward to get "our' Brand! To save the app we need a bigger market so Kurt is going to demand a trade publicly and we will blame it on handedness"

Jacob: "ok"

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

I agree with the above statements. I think Trouba and agent
Undersmart have picked the wrong team to try and holdout on to try and get their way. This city has lost a team to in 1996 to escalating salaries and its fans will support any Jets initiative that promotes their cause using the CBA to the fullest to get what Winnipeg needs to compete.The fans will not get angry with management because a star player is not playing. The fans will be more on managements side.
The Jets have many young stars on ELCs and they need to set the record straight from the get go. The Jets need to play this right.They can not set a precedent for future stars. The CBA has stated that every player is under team control for 7 years or until the age of 27. The only trade I would consider would be for Lindholm one for one. Other wise just wait Trouba out. If Trouba wants to play in the NHL this year it will be as a Winnipeg Jet. The Jets will not trade Trouba if he is not under contract.:popcorn:

Plain and simple........Trouba at 22 and 3 years of service has not earned the right to dictate terms and where he wants to play. I do not see this ending well for Trouba, unless he changes his stance.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Question to the mob. Does anyone know for a fact what the Jets were offering, monetary wise, Trouba before talks stalled?

Good question. Big show seeming to infer that Trouba's crew were so determined to get a trade that they never even wanted to hear what the Jets were offering for $ and term. Not sure where they got that from, but it jives with Jacob just having no desire to play here depite all he has said.

By the way, I am so done with boosting Jacob -- officially changed my user name to a Jet who actually wants to be here. Now what to do with my Trouba jersey - ugg. Still have slight hope that Jacob comes to his senses, dumps his overjealous agent, and this all can be rectified but its really the faint hope clause.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My son is exactly Trouba's age and already very accomplished as a young man. But he consults his parents on every major life decision and, amazingly, often listens to us.

Twenty-two years old is not old at all in today's complex world. And Trouba, from what I have gleaned, is not nearly as mature as, say, a Josh Morrissey nor as grounded and motivated as a Mark Scheifele. He was precocious as a hockey player but likely behind the curve in lots of other ways. His parents and agent are the primary architects of this drama, so I think we should give the kid some slack. I still hold out faint hope that the leadership group of the Jets will be a positive influence in the next month, as they like the kid and likely understand how confusing a situation this can be.

100% agree scelaton.....we totally align.......please see my post above which shines some light on what I believe the primary problem is for Jacob. I remain convinced he is a good kid who is very much like you described and has put his faith in the wrong people.

Deleted member 55113

no he's not. He's playing outside the rules.

Not sure how it's outside the rules - nowhere does it say he's obligated to sign whatever is in front of him. If he is forced to sign no matter what, then there would be no RFA and that whole section of the CBA won't need to be drafted.

He's entitled to sit as long as he wants, or go play in Europe. Those options are part of what the CBA allows RFA if they can't come to an agreement with the team that holds his rights.

He's even allowed to sign with another team, subject to RFA compensation. Those are all within the rules.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

I would go even further and put this all on Agents J and K, Meddlers in Black. That would be John and Kristy Trouba, BTW. Overhardt is, in more ways than one, just a tool.

Hmmm, I wonder if their phone number on nuwber.com is still active? :naughty:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
The simple fact that the Trouba party has not negotiated with Chevy since May, that they are not participating in any negotiations, is all you need to go off of when determining if Trouba really wants to be here.

He wants out, been hearing it from multiple sources for 2 years now. He hired an agent that specializes in this, and is good at it.

And if he wants out that is fine, but work wisely with the team to facilitate a trade, not this blowing crap up a day before training camp, causing the team a big distraction at the beginning of the year.

I am ok with Chevy choosing to wait them out, and allow the December 1 day to approach without lifting a finger to facilitate a trade. Let them sweet, and let them loose a season then we can see how much faith Jacob has in Overhardt when his career earnings was reduced by his decision making.

Here is something I would love to see, Chevy making a trade over the next few weeks that brings in a top 4 LHD, without using Trouba, or a Dman in the deal. That would negate the need to move Trouba quickly to recoup that defensive asset, as well as sending the message to the Trouba camp that we are in no hurry at all to help facilitate the trade Trouba covets.

Yep, I'd be all in on a Dano+ - Fowler deal in this regard. Good for both sides & sure would put no heart & his lapdog in their place.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Trouba is playing within the rules of the CBA, too.

He is certainly free to not sign a contract and face those consequences but that is where his rights end.

The CBA does not give players coming off ELCs the right to force a trade by refusing to negotiate a contract with the club that owns their rights, so I'm gonna say that, no he isn't really playing within the letter or even the spirit of the rules.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
Much of my job centres around negotiation and I completely understand the knee-jerk reaction to play hardball when the opposing side are being unreasonable or just plain old *******s.

The problem in this case is that an NHL defenceman will depreciate as an asset if he sits out for an entire year because the team plays hardball. Meaning that the Jets would likely be able to get less return in a trade if Trouba is on the sidelines. Out of sight, out of mind; rust; problem child image, etc.

If you are going to play hardball, you have to find a way to make it seem as if it was the only reasonable course of action due to the actions, stance or conduct of the other party. We need to make sure the Jets remain a place where players, coaches, staff, etc. want to be employed and feel like they can reasonably deal with.

A year long holdout isn't great for Trouba either, as he will lose salary, experience, career momentum and, I'm sure genuinely wants to play the game. It does limit miles on his body, so that's a slight positive.

Regardless, I would say the Jets have a hell of a lot to lose by playing hardball as well, so let's not discount that whatever we may think of Trouba and his management team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad