News Article: Sportsnet: Trouba Requests Trade - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
yeah I don't think very many are suggesting that trouba should be made to sit out just out of spite to teach him and his agent a lesson. Most of us are just suggesting that under no circumstances should Chevy be in any hurry to move him until the right deal comes along...

Personally, when I put my amateur head shrink hat on I think Trouba is a bit of a "lap dog" character. I don't think he's a dummy, but I think maybe he has a tendency to allow himself to be influenced by outside forces. I think unfortunately he may not be terribly discriminating when it comes to choosing who he is influenced by. The stories about various family members coming to stay with him to keep him "out of trouble"...the impact that Bogo's trade seems to have had on him...the odd "Trouba app" thing. I think if it was just him, he'd be fine with playing the left side in Winnipeg, but he's had people chirping in his ear for a couple years now - his family, his agent, hell maybe even Bogo - about how he's not being allowed to flourish here and he's being held back and so on. But his personal convictions aren't all that strong about it which is why this has seemed to catch his friends on the team sort of by surprise - in day to day interactions with team mates he's A-OK and it's all "yeah I'm planning to sign here".

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
The simple fact that the Trouba party has not negotiated with Chevy since May, that they are not participating in any negotiations, is all you need to go off of when determining if Trouba really wants to be here.

He wants out, been hearing it from multiple sources for 2 years now. He hired an agent that specializes in this, and is good at it.

And if he wants out that is fine, but work wisely with the team to facilitate a trade, not this blowing crap up a day before training camp, causing the team a big distraction at the beginning of the year.

I am ok with Chevy choosing to wait them out, and allow the December 1 day to approach without lifting a finger to facilitate a trade. Let them sweet, and let them loose a season then we can see how much faith Jacob has in Overhardt when his career earnings was reduced by his decision making.

Here is something I would love to see, Chevy making a trade over the next few weeks that brings in a top 4 LHD, without using Trouba, or a Dman in the deal. That would negate the need to move Trouba quickly to recoup that defensive asset, as well as sending the message to the Trouba camp that we are in no hurry at all to help facilitate the trade Trouba covets.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Stats

yeah I don't think very many are suggesting that trouba should be made to sit out just out of spite to teach him and his agent a lesson. Most of us are just suggesting that under no circumstances should Chevy be in any hurry to move him until the right deal comes along...

Personally, when I put my amateur head shrink hat on I think Trouba is a bit of a "lap dog" character. I don't think he's a dummy, but I think maybe he has a tendency to allow himself to be influenced by outside forces. I think unfortunately he may not be terribly discriminating when it comes to choosing who he is influenced by. The stories about various family members coming to stay with him to keep him "out of trouble"...the impact that Bogo's trade seems to have had on him...the odd "Trouba app" thing. I think if it was just him, he'd be fine with playing the left side in Winnipeg, but he's had people chirping in his ear for a couple years now - his family, his agent, hell maybe even Bogo - about how he's not being allowed to flourish here and he's being held back and so on. But his personal convictions aren't all that strong about it which is why this has seemed to catch his friends on the team sort of by surprise - in day to day interactions with team mates he's A-OK and it's all "yeah I'm planning to sign here".

When I see his advanced stats comparing his time with Toby or Stu I conclude he has been held back. Obviously everyone seems to do well with Buff but then he gets the credit for that. I have a hunch something else is at play that has to do with his agent's cryptic words about the end of season meetings.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I agree that It does appear the tactics have achieved the agents desired results up to this point but I think there are some circumstances in play this time that might be different.

Turris was actually not producing well in phoenix and the fit seemed poor with Tippett. He was bouncing back and for between the AHL and NHL and appeared to be stuck on the 3rd 4th line or in Tippett's dog house. Unlike Trouba he was not getting paid. Honestly in this case I was almost 50-50 with the tactic because Turris and Tippett went together like Ice cream and Onions.

With RyJo I think ownership pressed Davidson to make a deal and cut him out at the knees. I think blow heart had a huge advantage in the negociation. They still ended up getting Seth Jones in the deal so they made out fine. I get why Columbus was reluctant to go long and pay big based off a one year sample size. I don't agree with the tactic in this case but the end result was ok for both sides.

Trouba unlike the other two was probably going to get paid at market value since the comps were all pretty defined. I don't believe he was going to get held back short term or Long term financially. Also and this is key he is facing a GM that has the full and I am guessing enthusiastic backing of his owner to do what is nessesary to maximize asset valiue. Winnipeg can not afford to blink and they will need to get either Trouba under a long term market rate contract or they need to sign and trade for equal defensive value coming back. Short of those results they will need to send a message to agemts and and future top young talent that they do not negotiate with terrorists. If Chevy doesn't get what he wants I do believe he has the resolve to let Trouba sit for a year or more. I am hoping for a speedy resolution that works well for the Jets but part of me wants to see what happens to Overhardt if Trouba loses a season.

I believe Overhardt has met a worthy adversary and he has also met a team with much much narrower trade restrictions that border on being unworkable (young RH plug and play top pairing D man for your LH plug and play top pairing D man)?

I am pissed it has come to this but I do believe no matter what people think of Chevy he has the resolve to do what he needs to to maximize asset value. The only ****** part is it might cost the Jets a season if Trouba refuses to sign. Our D core would need to stay incredibly healthy and Morrissey would need a big year.

Great post, ps, agree with all of it. :)

Not a fan of Watters generally but IMO he was correct when he said that Chevy will play the patience game and will get what he wants (either in a trade or a signed player) He also said the only thing that could throw it off the rails is if ownership gets impatient and antsy and forces the GM to get on with it. He also said he didn't think that would happen in Winnipeg.

Agree. I think in this situation, at least I hope, that ownership and Chevy are 100% on the same page, and I think they will be. As an organization we seem to march to the beat of our own drum, all on the same page going in the same direction. As a draft and develop team, a young 22 year old defenceman who was a 9th overall pick from just 4 years ago who has turned out as good as Jacob has, is an absolute integral part of our team today and going forward. So if he isn't here, he needs to be replaced with equal value, and I believe Chevy will hold out as long as it takes until he gets it.

It's all fine and great for Trouba/Overhardt to take the holdout stance and they clearly believe it is the right move to make, but I do think they've met their match in Chevy/our ownership because I do not think for a second we will blink or budge for anything less than equal value to Jacob Trouba. Therefore Trouba/Overhardt better be praying Chevy gets an equal value trade by December 1st or I think you can bet your bottom dollar Chevy has no issues giving Trouba two options - sign or sit the year out.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
People's obsession of making trouba hurt over getting what's best for the team is embarrassing to me.

We're talking a out a decision with arguably our most valuable piece aside from scheifele. I'm not interested at all at reducing that players value to my organization for the sake of a childish need to feel like the bigger man and give him his due.

If trading trouba tomorrow to exactly where he wants to go and he lives happily ever after as a Norris candidate and we get maximum value, like another Norris candidate the same age coming back, I would take that a million times over a lesser return that involved a less enjoyable experience for trouba.

Because I'm interested in building a winning and effective hockey team, not vengeance towards a player who is using the only tactic he has under the CBA to control his destiny.

thank you. i get (but don't agree with) the 'emotional' part of this for a lot of people but I'm not in any way interested in another losing season and to pretend that we will be better making trouba sit out for an extended period of time out of spite is just ludicrous. I hope we can find a fair return for him quickly and move on. If this extends out to December we all lose.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Question, after listening to Trouba's agent.

He said they are in discussions with other teams in the league because Trouba is a "Level two?" ( I assume that means RFA?).

But the question is; are they allowed to be out interfering with a trade? I suppose it may make Chevy's job easier if Trouba's camp paves the way by assuring a team that he will sign with them for x amount of dollars and term, and that team has something we want.

It just seemed like an odd statement, like 'we are in the driver's seat and we are making all of the moves here'.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they can't do **** without the Jets' say so.

One more thing on this subject.... whenever I'm dealing with someone difficult and they make me angry and I know they are full of ****, I always remember to just get what I want out of the deal and that's my way of winning with them. Being petty and having the 'I'll show them' attitude is nonsensical imo.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

He said they are in discussions with other teams in the league because Trouba is a "Level two?" ( I assume that means RFA?).

But the question is; are they allowed to be out interfering with a trade? I suppose it may make Chevy's job easier if Trouba's camp paves the way by assuring a team that he will sign with them for x amount of dollars and term, and that team has something we want.

It just seemed like an odd statement, like 'we are in the driver's seat and we are making all of the moves here'.

They can absolutely negotiate a contract with any team in the league, and nobody can stop them from doing that. They just can't sign it unless a) Trouba's rights are traded, or b) that contract is presented as an offer sheet. It's the nature of free agency.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Here is something I would love to see, Chevy making a trade over the next few weeks that brings in a top 4 LHD, without using Trouba, or a Dman in the deal. That would negate the need to move Trouba quickly to recoup that defensive asset, as well as sending the message to the Trouba camp that we are in no hurry at all to help facilitate the trade Trouba covets.

This would be absolutely ideal. It would show other GM's that we can move on here and wait this out for as long as it takes until Chevy gets his asking price in a trade. And in doing all of this I still believe teams out there will want Trouba on their blueline. Young, good, 22 year old RH defenceman do not grow on trees. It will show that we are in no hurry and are sitting firm on our asking price for Jacob Trouba, while also moving on without him. If a trade happens in October, November, great. If it has to wait until next June or July, so be it. And, as you say, it would also send a direct message to Trouba/Overhadt in the same manner.

I really hope Morrissey steps up and earns a top 4 spot, that is the most ideal scenario here. There is a top 4 LHD spot open for the taking, and Morrissey was drafted and developed to fill that exact role. I am really rooting for Josh here, and was even before this Trouba debacle. I think he's a great, smart, young hockey player with all of the tools. I hope he can put it together and become a full-time top 4 defenceman for us this year.

Last edited:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
When I see his advanced stats comparing his time with Toby or Stu I conclude he has been held back. Obviously everyone seems to do well with Buff but then he gets the credit for that. I have a hunch something else is at play that has to do with his agent's cryptic words about the end of season meetings.

what nonsense held back. by definition there are 90 pairings in the nhl and 45 players are being held back then by their partners. if he was the number 1 rd here he would be held back by anyone we put with him. I wish people would stop making excuses for him that nobody is good enough to play with him. he doesn't want to play in Winnipeg is that so complicated to understand.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
This would be absolutely ideal. It would show other GM's that we can move on here and wait this out for as long as it takes until Chevy gets his asking price in a trade. It will show that we are in no hurry and are sitting firm on our asking price for Jacob Trouba, while also moving on without him. If a trade happens in October, November, great. If it has to wait until next June or July, so be it. And, as you say, it would also send a direct message to Trouba/Overhadt in the same manner.

I really hope Morrissey steps up and earns a top 4 spot, that is the most ideal scenario here. There is a top 4 LHD spot open for the taking, and Morrissey was drafted and developed to fill that exact role. I am really rooting for Josh here, and was even before this Trouba debacle. I think he's a great, smart, young hockey player with all of the tools. I hope he can put it together and become a full-time top 4 defenceman for us this year.

I agree, Morrissey is really an important wild card here. If he is ready, he might be able to step in and not only fill a spot, but prosper in that spot. It could really flip this situation around, giving us all the cards.

Flip side is Morrissey is not ready, and one of Buff, Myers or Enstrom get an early injury, then we might be in trouble, which is a word that contains most of Jacobs last name.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Dredger said today he had a conversation with Maurice about Trouba a while back. He said Mo spoke glowingly about Trouba and would eventually become #1RD in Winnipeg 2-3 yr time frame.

This is why the whole RD/LD story is a complete sham. And why Overhardt refused to answer the question of "Would Trouba sign if a top 4 RD spot was made available by trade or by moving Buff or Myers to LD or traded"

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
So out of curiosity........how many people changed their number 9 Kane jersey to a number 8 Trouba jersey ? I have yet to put a number and plate on mine since the beginning of 2.0 era. maybe ill go Mark or Buff to be safe.

I for one am not upset with the Trouba saga. If he wants out that is fine but lets try and get this done so it does not drag out throughout the season.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I agree, Morrissey is really an important wild card here. If he is ready, he might be able to step in and not only fill a spot, but prosper in that spot. It could really flip this situation around, giving us all the cards.

Flip side is Morrissey is not ready, and one of Buff, Myers or Enstrom get an early injury, then we might be in trouble, which is a word that contains most of Jacobs last name.

I thought about this yesterday (injuries), but I didn't like the thought of it so I am trying to not think of this scenario. :laugh:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Dredger said today he had a conversation with Maurice about Trouba a while back. He said Mo spoke glowingly about Trouba and would eventually become #1RD in Winnipeg 2-3 yr time frame.

This is why the whole RD/LD story is a complete sham. And why Overhardt refused to answer the question of "Would Trouba sign if a top 4 RD spot was made available by trade or by moving Buff or Myers to LD or traded"

Agree, the excuse is just that, an excuse. It's sad that they have to resort to this.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
This would be absolutely ideal. It would show other GM's that we can move on here and wait this out for as long as it takes until Chevy gets his asking price in a trade. And in doing all of this I still believe teams out there will want Trouba on their blueline. Young, good, 22 year old RH defenceman do not grow on trees. It will show that we are in no hurry and are sitting firm on our asking price for Jacob Trouba, while also moving on without him. If a trade happens in October, November, great. If it has to wait until next June or July, so be it. And, as you say, it would also send a direct message to Trouba/Overhadt in the same manner.

Well its pretty obvious the Chevy has been trying to trade him and hasn't received offers to his liking. I guess he is hoping for a target of opportunity to pop up where a contending team loses an important D man. Problem with that is Jets need to get a defenseman back and the cap has to work. Possible but a really a high bar to achieve. Im sure Chevy has had talks with the Flyers because they can afford to give the Jets an excellent LHD prospect and a solid NHL LHD defenseman. Problem is salary cap and the possibility that Hextall like many GM's are probably nervous to either deal with a very difficult agent/player/players family. So the deal would have to be pretty favorable in the Flyers favor and Chevy unhappily but rightly probably chooses to continue to wait as long as he can.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
It is my understanding if this goes past Dec 1 st and Trouba is not eligible to play in the NHL this year, he will still owe the Jets 4 years b4 becoming a UFA. As it takes 7 years of service or the player reaches the age of 27. If Trouba plays this season he can get to 7 years of service by age 26, because he started in the NHL at age 19. If he misses this season ( just like Burmi going to the KHL delayed his UFA status by 2 years)he will not be a UFA until at least 27 years of age.

I am all for Jets management going quiet on the issue and waiting him out. If Trouba misses significant games and wants to come crawling back at the end of November......then the only deal on the table at that time is a 6 year 4.5-4.7 mill contract. W ith a favorable contract like that we can trade him easy for a kings ransom next off season. With him under contract we could trade him to any team not having the Trouba camp trying to dictate teams and term.:popcorn:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/agent-adamant-trouba-wants-trade-394898561.html

That tune changed Saturday, and Overhardt clarified his client’s comments Monday afternoon.

"I will tell you that anything my client said during the World Cup was completely tight to the vest," Overhardt said, suggesting Trouba possibly stretched the truth. "He did not want any distractions from his perspective. His responsibility with that team… he did not want to be a distraction or have anything focused on him. Anything he might of said… he has no obligation to tell people what is going on."

Overhardt went on to say the reason he took the issue to the media was to make sure there was some transparency as to why his client wasn’t in Winnipeg.

So when asked an honest question his obligation is to lie or just tell the reporter what he thinks people in Winnipeg want to hear. Gotcha... :shakehead

If you are not going to be upfront when being interviewed then don't agree to be interviewed.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

whatever. I'm not commenting on what the reality of his being "held back" is (although I'm not really buying it much given that he appeared to be on the way to taking a spot on the top D pairing this year with Buff) I'm just saying that I think Trouba himself isn't driving his train really. If it was just him, I suspect he'd be OK with his situation here - but he's got others running the show and they have other ideas.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
It is my understanding if this goes past Dec 1 st and Trouba is not eligible to play in the NHL this year, he will still owe the Jets 4 years b4 becoming a UFA. As it takes 7 years of service or the player reaches the age of 27. If Trouba plays this season he can get to 7 years of service by age 26, because he started in the NHL at age 19. If he misses this season ( just like Burmi going to the KHL delayed his UFA status by 2 years)he will not be a UFA until at least 27 years of age.

I am all for Jets management going quiet on the issue and waiting him out. If Trouba misses significant games and wants to come crawling back at the end of November......then the only deal on the table at that time is a 6 year 4.5-4.7 mill contract. W ith a favorable contract like that we can trade him easy for a kings ransom next off season. With him under contract we could trade him to any team not having the Trouba ca trying to dictate teams and term.:popcorn:

This is correct. If he does not play it does not count as a year towards free agency. He will delay his big payday by 12 months. That would be a bad financial decision. It will cost him now and it will cost him later

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Well its pretty obvious the Chevy has been trying to trade him and hasn't received offers to his liking. I guess he is hoping for a target of opportunity to pop up where a contending team loses an important D man. Problem with that is Jets need to get a defenseman back and the cap has to work. Possible but a really a high bar to achieve. Im sure Chevy has had talks with the Flyers because they can afford to give the Jets an excellent LHD prospect and a solid NHL LHD defenseman. Problem is salary cap and the possibility that Hextall like many GM's are probably nervous to either deal with a very difficult agent/player/players family. So the deal would have to be pretty favorable in the Flyers favor and Chevy unhappily but rightly probably chooses to continue to wait as long as he can.

Ya, I agree. It's not going to be an easy deal to make and the stars are going to have to align here. And Chevy may have to sit tight and wait until they do. It'll be interesting to see it play out. I think and hope Chevy is okay waiting it out until the ideal scenario does present itself, and I think in time it will. It may be in October or November, or, it may be later in the season or perhaps he is moved at the draft next June.

At the end of the day I think Trouba has enough of a resume, was a high draft pick, has developed quite well, that there will be teams out there who want him and are eventually willing to be the team that pays up to land him. It isn't every day you can add a 22 year old RH defenceman (who in this situation will likely come with a new 6-8 year contract in place). But clearly it is going to be a tricky deal to make if we are strictly wanting a LH defenceman of similar age and caliber.

Trouba/Overhardt have now made this very difficult on Winnipeg, and I fully expect Chevy to hold out in his own right until he gets what he wants, which in the end could make it very difficult on Trouba/Overhardt given there is a hard deadline (December 1) in order for Trouba to be able to play in the NHL this season.

Last edited:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

I am all for Jets management going quiet on the issue and waiting him out. If Trouba misses significant games and wants to come crawling back at the end of November......then the only deal on the table at that time is a 6 year 4.5-4.7 mill contract. W ith a favorable contract like that we can trade him easy for a kings ransom next off season. With him under contract we could trade him to any team not having the Trouba camp trying to dictate teams and term.:popcorn:

Bang on. This could easily backfire on Trouba/Overhardt, and I hope it does. Because if/when that happens, and if it unfolds like you say, it 100% takes away Overhardt's slimy tactics and puts the Jets in the drivers seat.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

One more thing on this subject.... whenever I'm dealing with someone difficult and they make me angry and I know they are full of ****, I always remember to just get what I want out of the deal and that's my way of winning with them. Being petty and having the 'I'll show them' attitude is nonsensical imo.

Yes RFA are called "group 2 free agents" in the CBA.

They can talk to any team. They can sign an offersheet. If they do the Jets can either match the offersheet or take the compensation. This is not tampering

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills

His refusal to answer that spoke volumes.That and the fact they wouldn't listen to an offer since May.He had and has no intention of signing here.So be it .it is now up to management to make the best of it whether he sits for a year or not.Dissapointing,but we move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad