Sportsnet beginning mass layoffs of on and off-air talent

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I have to admit that most of the things from CBC's HNIC that people seem overly attached to never meant much to me at all:

* Ron Maclean (too pretentious -- hate the depiction of hockey as having any deep cultural meaning)
* Don Cherry (too annoying)
* Tim Thompson's music videos
* After Hours

And there may be more.

And of Rogers' stuff, I really don't like Hometown Hockey.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I have to admit that most of the things from CBC's HNIC that people seem overly attached to never meant much to me at all:

* Ron Maclean (too pretentious -- hate the depiction of hockey as having any deep cultural meaning)
* Don Cherry (too annoying)
* Tim Thompson's music videos
* After Hours

And there may be more.

And of Rogers' stuff, I really don't like Hometown Hockey.

So you are saying hockey does not have deep cultural meaning to canadians?

Most people on the prairies and Maritimes will disagree

Reactions: SwaggySpungo

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
To non native Canadians, he's right, other sports are more important.

I wasn't talking about the popularity of the sport. Defining cultural identity by any sport seems silly to m.e But I have no issue saying that overall, hockey is the most important sport in Canada. It's when you start talking about hockey defining who Canadians are and that kind of crap that it bugs me. It's like saying more people drink Coke than Pepsi so Cake defines who we are.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
You're talking about the Prairies and the Maritimes -- less than 25% of the Canadian population.

And that is where I catfished you. Sorry, I forgot to include Quebec and BC. Onterio, the center of the universe.

Fyi.

I now live in Wales. Born and raised in Canada. Hockey is the life blood for much of Canada where Ontario does not care about. Humboldt hit Canada hard for a reason

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Are you a born and bread Canadian? If yes how much time have you spent in the Praries, the Maritimes and in rural canada? A subburb is not rural

In small towns and much of Canada hockey unites

It’s not just those areas. . Hockey is a giant part of Quebec and Ontario culture as well.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
In southern Ontario unless it's the Leafs, most don't care. Look at OHL in the golden horseshoe, the GTA teams don't draw many hockey fans. People here don't care much about jr hockey around here.

Reactions: MessierII

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So you understand my point of someone trying to down play hockey and canadian culture
Except that isn't what they did in any way whatsoever. They were downplaying the significance of CBC/HNIC coverage, and I fully agree with that sentiment. Most people I know outside of the GTA dislike HNIC on some level, because for a long time it was almost exclusively pro-Leafs in coverage. If you're a Canucks fan for example, there are countless examples of their games being scheduled for 4pm PST to accommodate Leafs coverage on HNIC. Most of their on air talent has been from Toronto, a Leafs fan, or an ex-Leafs player/staff.

Your strawman argument against criticism of HNIC about "hockey not having a deep cultural meaning to Canadians" is so absurd to barely warrant a response.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I wasn't talking about the popularity of the sport. Defining cultural identity by any sport seems silly to m.e But I have no issue saying that overall, hockey is the most important sport in Canada. It's when you start talking about hockey defining who Canadians are and that kind of crap that it bugs me. It's like saying more people drink Coke than Pepsi so Cake defines who we are.

Spend time outside of the big cities and you will see how hockey helps define and help them

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Rural and small towns account for less than 20% of Canada’s population though. So if it doesn’t define urban places, it wouldn’t define Canadian identity.
Depends on how one defines "urban"

Even now (2011 data), after all the years of increase, the population of what I would call "big cities" (near/over 1 million) accounts for less than half of Canada List of the 100 largest population centres in Canada - Wikipedia Making the criteria 500K still results in less than 50% (making the criteria 250K makes it just over 50%)

P.S. Statistics Canada defines Urban as 1000 people or more urban definition canada - Google Search

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Depends on how one defines "urban"

Even now (2011 data), after all the years of increase, the population of what I would call "big cities" (near/over 1 million) accounts for less than half of Canada List of the 100 largest population centres in Canada - Wikipedia Making the criteria 500K still results in less than 50% (making the criteria 250K makes it just over 50%)

P.S. Statistics Canada defines Urban as 1000 people or more urban definition canada - Google Search
He specifically mentioned that he didn’t include suburbs. Golden Horseshoe which almost no one would count as small towns accounts for about 25% of Canada’s population alone. That’s before you get into places like Lower Mainland BC, and Montreal.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
He specifically mentioned that he didn’t include suburbs. Golden Horseshoe which almost no one would count as small towns accounts for about 25% of Canada’s population alone. That’s before you get into places like Lower Mainland BC, and Montreal.
OK. He also said "big cities" and that's what you quoted and that's what I was responding to; I noted for myself big city means near/over a million...using that criteria the Golden Horseshoe has 1 big city

I also responded based on your saying "Rural and small towns account for less than 20% of Canada’s population though" and when I looked that up the criteria I found it said 80% of people live in urban settings is based on 80% of people live in communities with 1000 or more people canada city definition - Google Search

Personally I definitely think that hockey has a significant cultural meaning to many Canadiens . I think this is true looking at just Ontario, or just Quebec, or just BC...the population doesn't make a big difference in regards to this subject IMO

Reactions: SwaggySpungo

varano

Jun 27, 2013
In southern Ontario unless it's the Leafs, most don't care. Look at OHL in the golden horseshoe, the GTA teams don't draw many hockey fans. People here don't care much about jr hockey around here.
I concur. However what I will say is that Minor hockey is still very much so supported in affluent communities.

beh3moth

May 27, 2010
Hard no on that stupid statement. Southern Ontario is not just Toronto and none of it is essentially the US.

i dunno i moved to sw ontario from northern ontario and i see just as many american flags as i do canadian around here, also people here travel to the states way more and have family/friends across the border

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad