Sportsnet beginning mass layoffs of on and off-air talent

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah that experience is a lot like mine with PTS and Tim & Sid being part of my podcast rotation at work. I dropped T&S for similar reasons.

The uncut podcast was amazing. And was a perfect compliment to the standard hockey & Blue Jays heavy radio fare we get in this country. I loved that they focused mostly on NBA, NFL and soccer. When they went to Fan 590 the show lost a lot of its charm, but it was still very good. When they moved to TV it became utterly unwatchable/unlistenable.

Reactions: cutchemist42

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
For a good while there I had a 3 podcast rotation that I could listen to daily; Prime Time Sports, Tim & Sid (first podcast, then radio) and The Tony Kornheiser Show. I stopped listening to Tim & Sid when they switched to television and it made for a terrible podcast. Now Prime Time Sports is over. And ten years ago I was certain Kornheiser's show would be the first to kick the bucket.

I watched some of Tim & Sid yesterday and it was awkward. Whatever dynamism used to exist with the TV is all gone. Now it just look like a radio show on TV (which is exactly what it is) but with a big useless set.

I'm not sure Rogers really thought this through. To save money on the radio side they have decided to make their television product worse. o_O

Yeah they made a big fuss about how many games you would have available, especially on Saturdays. But that changed almost immediately and they started rolling games behind premium packages. It actually feels like there is less hockey on TV that there used to be....though to be fair I have since cut SN1 and SN360, so I miss all of those games.

Edit: Oh awesome! Looking at this weeks Sportsnet schedule, despite living in the Leafs broadcasting region, their game versus Washington on Wednesday is on a premium channel.

**** you Sportsnet. I can't wait until some shady app like DAZN steals all your hockey content

I was always under the impression that the extra games that Rogers was bringing on Saturday night in the first year of the NHL were dropped largely because they weren't getting ratings.

There's always a couple of Wednesdays in the fall when the Wednesday night national games are moved to SN1 (and/or SN360) due to Baseball playoffs (more I think when the Jays were in the playoffs) just like early season baseball games get shifted to SN1 (and/or SN360) due to hockey or Raptors playoffs. This really shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I was always under the impression that the extra games that Rogers was bringing on Saturday night in the first year of the NHL were dropped largely because they weren't getting ratings.

There's always a couple of Wednesdays in the fall when the Wednesday night national games are moved to SN1 (and/or SN360) due to Baseball playoffs (more I think when the Jays were in the playoffs) just like early season baseball games get shifted to SN1 (and/or SN360) due to hockey or Raptors playoffs. This really shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone.

I can’t recall the last time the Leafs were locked behind a premium channel. At least not since Leafs TV.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Last edited:
Reactions: skeena1

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
For a good while there I had a 3 podcast rotation that I could listen to daily; Prime Time Sports, Tim & Sid (first podcast, then radio) and The Tony Kornheiser Show. I stopped listening to Tim & Sid when they switched to television and it made for a terrible podcast. Now Prime Time Sports is over. And ten years ago I was certain Kornheiser's show would be the first to kick the bucket.

I watched some of Tim & Sid yesterday and it was awkward. Whatever dynamism used to exist with the TV is all gone. Now it just look like a radio show on TV (which is exactly what it is) but with a big useless set.

I'm not sure Rogers really thought this through. To save money on the radio side they have decided to make their television product worse.

Yeah that experience is a lot like mine with PTS and Tim & Sid being part of my podcast rotation at work. I dropped T&S for similar reasons.

The uncut podcast was amazing. And was a perfect compliment to the standard hockey & Blue Jays heavy radio fare we get in this country. I loved that they focused mostly on NBA, NFL and soccer. When they went to Fan 590 the show lost a lot of its charm, but it was still very good. When they moved to TV it became utterly unwatchable/unlistenable.

I agree on all three of these posts. I wasn't around for the T&S podcast, but I was around for when they were on Fan 590. Even with the greater focus on Toronto by that point, they still were absolutely wonderful stuff to listen to for somebody in Vancouver like myself at that time.

I remembered listening to this clip live, and almost dying from laughter, it was that good - and to be quite honest, they really were at that time suited much more for radio (or podcasts, invariably) then they ever were for TV.

Now I really just see them as two friends going through the motions - the fact that they, like everyone else on Sportsnet, have to filter everything through a Toronto sports lens (Which is fine for the Jays, but less so for any sort of hockey discussion) just makes them seem even more out of it then they already were. Especially when you consider Sid has leaned even more into his blowhard ways, and Tim very much just feels like the guy who has to try and put out fires everywhere.

I don't know why Sportsnet is going to bother with putting T&S on radio simulcasted. Frankly, they should have never left Fan 590 at minimum, because they have, and always will be, best suited for an audio format, and not an hour and a half, two hours of memes, clips taken off Twitter or Instagram, and the occasional chat with a guest in a TV studio. Just really sad to see how far things have gotten for T&S quality wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad