Sportsnet beginning mass layoffs of on and off-air talent

LeafFan

Jun 20, 2017
James Sharman - Gone today from Sportsnet

James Sharman (@jamessharman) | Twitter
Seeing how SN doesn't even care about MLS much, no surprise seeing them ditch their soccer guys. I'm not a big soccer fan, but have known Sharman to cover soccer for many years since his days at TheScore. Tim and Sid have him on their show every so often as well since they all go back.

I'm sure TSN will get him. For all the MLS action they actually have, he'd fit right in.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
Seeing how SN doesn't even care about MLS much, no surprise seeing them ditch their soccer guys. I'm not a big soccer fan, but have known Sharman to cover soccer for many years since his days at TheScore. Tim and Sid have him on their show every so often as well since they all go back.

I'm sure TSN will get him. For all the MLS action they actually have, he'd fit right in.
Too hard to schedule around Blue Jays. That simple.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
They have SN,SN1 AND SN360. If they wanted they could, but they dont.

No self-respecting sport wants to be buried on channels no one can find.
Also, at some point you're taking viewers away from your own programming.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
We see Raptor games on SN1/TSN2 all the time.

Of course you do. And those games are always lower-rated than what is on the main channels. And more importantly, lower-rated than than they would be if they were on those channels. They don't get bumped for darts, they get bumped for something that's going to command a big audience and take a bite out of their ratings.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Rogers tossed a whole whack of money at the NHL and the league didn't bother with counter offers from Bell or CBC.
With how much Rogers put on the table, it would have been reckless for a government-owned entity to get involved in a bidding war, ruling out CBC. While I do think it would be nice for CBC to always have HNIC, that's just me being idealistic. There's just too much money to put in on cable. If MNF isn't even on an over the air network in the states, it is a bit of a dream to have HNIC remain on non-premium channels in the long-run.

Reactions: skeena1

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Has there been any actual confirmation that Doug MacLean has been let go? I see lots of rumours and speculation, but nothing from any reliable sources.

I used to find MacLean annoying until the ASG at Columbus when he said he knew he was getting fired from the Blue Jackets so he approved the addition of the canon on his way out and laughed about it. Now I find him pretty amusing.

Maclean has a tonne of great stories where he was a bit of an ass. Todd Marchant was on a no trade clause with the Jackets. MacLean worked out a trade with Anaheim but he refused to waive the no trade. So Maclean put him on waivers and he was claimed by Anaheim. (No movement clauses introduced after that).

When he was coaching the Panthers in the playoffs and they beat the Penguins. He would tell the arena staff to over water the ice to make it pure crap to slow down the mighty Penguins.

He's a character and I'm a fan of his. But like all personalities, some people are fans and some people aren't.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
So basically all the older guys 2ho are making coin? Lots of guys that were regulars on McCowns show which sucks now.

Still no sympathy from me after so many of them publicly laughed at TSN years ago for losing the NHL.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I wonder what happened behind the scenes when Rogers won the contract. The TSN crew was popular, and when Rogers won the contract, I initially assumed they'd try and bring their talent over. But, they all chose to stay, and I wonder if serious overtures were made or not.

Maybe its my bias, but I still view Bob McKenzie as being the premiere analyst in the sport, and not having him on their roster made it seem second rate. I also think Duthie is a better host than anyone they have on Sportsnet.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Sportsnet Central - 2020

Linda%20Casey%20.GIF

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
When he was coaching the Panthers in the playoffs and they beat the Penguins. He would tell the arena staff to over water the ice to make it pure crap to slow down the mighty Penguins.

He's a character and I'm a fan of his. But like all personalities, some people are fans and some people aren't.

Heh that's funny, like something out of the 70s.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I wonder what happened behind the scenes when Rogers won the contract. The TSN crew was popular, and when Rogers won the contract, I initially assumed they'd try and bring their talent over. But, they all chose to stay, and I wonder if serious overtures were made or not.

Maybe its my bias, but I still view Bob McKenzie as being the premiere analyst in the sport, and not having him on their roster made it seem second rate. I also think Duthie is a better host than anyone they have on Sportsnet.

TSN has enough regional hockey to make it worth it to be fully staffed for gameday and side programming coverage. Montreal (some interoperability with RDS side), Ottawa (also RDS), Toronto and Winnipeg. Still talking about hundreds of games and they are key programs for cable customer retention for many fans so they would warrant spending on high production values.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
TSN has enough regional hockey to make it worth it to be fully staffed for gameday and side programming coverage. Montreal (some interoperability with RDS side), Ottawa (also RDS), Toronto and Winnipeg. Still talking about hundreds of games and they are key programs for cable customer retention for many fans so they would warrant spending on high production values.

They tried to hire Duthie in 2013 for the Rogers coverage, but he, bob and dreger all extended at TSN.

Reactions: MsMeow

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall. Athletic looks at Kypreos and Maclean departures and one soccer guy. Plus the rumor that surfaced this summer that 85 yo Cherry was retiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad