Post-Game Talk: spOiler Alert: Edmonton loses

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hot take, maybe Connor needs to learn how to be effective when he's not in full flight?

Could be, but I'm wondering what coach would be willing to go there. Telling McDavid to change how he wants to play to compensate for the weak linemates. Wonder if that is more likely to have him pondering why he's wasting his career here :)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We badly need to find McDavid another Maroon-type. Someone that can grind out things on the boards and win battles. Kassian, like Looch, is not very good on the boards. He loses the puck all the time, just not good at protecting pucks and making quick plays off the boards. Nuge is terrible on the boards and needs a guy like Drai on his line to do that work too. Of course we don't have a Drai clone to have a 2nd line and play with McDavid :)

One of these days we need to find some players not named Drai that actually compliment McDavid's game. The 1st line is really nothing more than waiting for McDavid to crank it up to 11, and whoever is lucky to be his wingers that night are the guys people think play well with him, but they really didn't actually do that much. When McDavid's game is off, none of these wingers are able to make something happen to make up the difference or give the line a different look aside from waiting for McDavid to do stuff.

Neither McD or Drai have anybody that are currently winning puck battles on the boards. They just aren't. I remember in the days where we used to have several of these types of players, Mike Peca, Raffi Torres, Fernando Pisani. They would crash boards and come out of the corner with the puck. This is happening seldom this season, and was a problem in the play in as well. It doesn't help that we played Price who is great at playing the puck, but we're not even getting to a lot of pucks in time. Our dumps have been poorly timed, and by the time we pressure the opponent has the puck out. When we do get to the puck we're simply losing that board battle.

One thing that pisses me off is that the first line were having another shit night yet they were getting the Offensive zone draws and doing nothing with them while the Drai line had to swim uphill a lot of the time. The other is that the McD line were also getting Barrie, which makes no sense to me as Drai desperately needs to be on the ice with another puck possession player. In his line, and D pairings the last game DRai doesn't have one other guy that is good with the puck.

Reactions: oobga and nabob

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oilers have almost $24 mill in capspace next off season. 28 if Klefbom is still hurt with 12/13 players signed. Holland has all the room he needs to make this team real. Screw holding onto the first. Use it. Fix the roster.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Neither McD or Drai have anybody that are currently winning puck battles on the boards. They just aren't. I remember in the days where we used to have several of these types of players, Mike Peca, Raffi Torres, Fernando Pisani. They would crash boards and come out of the corner with the puck. This is happening seldom this season, and was a problem in the play in as well. It doesn't help that we played Price who is great at playing the puck, but we're not even getting to a lot of pucks in time. Our dumps have been poorly timed, and by the time we pressure the opponent has the puck out. When we do get to the puck we're simply losing that board battle.

One thing that pisses me off is that the first line were having another shit night yet they were getting the Offensive zone draws and doing nothing with them while the Drai line had to swim uphill a lot of the time. The other is that the McD line were also getting Barrie, which makes no sense to me as Drai desperately needs to be on the ice with another puck possession player. In his line, and D pairings the last game DRai doesn't have one other guy that is good with the puck.
Yeah it’s quite sad that a 5’6” 150lbs player with 57 games under his belt in the NHL is our best board player.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah it’s quite sad that a 5’6” 150lbs player with 57 games under his belt in the NHL is our best board player.
My biggest worry with Yams is because he does like...almost all the heavy lifting on the boards on the team that it's going to lead to injuries sooner than later. Give the kid some help guys.

Reactions: nabob

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It’s been saddening watching Nurse turn you from a supporter into a detractor. Sucks when you have the enthusiasm for a player taken from you by that player’s performance.

I love physical hockey. Nurse just doesn't seem to be capable of filling out to the point of being a really imposing guy back there. There were some late whacks on the goalie yesterday and I figured that Nurse should be putting people on their asses. He didn't. I think that I overestimated his physical abilities even though he is a good fighter. Then there is the lack of offensive hockey IQ and the large pay that he receives. This is his chance to shine, show those that said that Nurse >> Klef that they are right. I'm not seeing it, and the sad part is that Klef had been playing handicapped.

Could be, but I'm wondering what coach would be willing to go there. Telling McDavid to change how he wants to play to compensate for the weak linemates. Wonder if that is more likely to have him pondering why he's wasting his career here :)

Honestly, if he just wants to play for the highlight reels rather than the team, we should consider moving him for young and skilled players with a team first mentality. That said, I don't believe that to be the case, just stating what I would do if it was.

Reactions: Cloned

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Kassian is supposed to be that player on the McDavid line. Drai would be best served with another winger that can cycle the puck.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
It's so frustrating to watch Kassian and his board play. He's so big and strong but plays like a complete puss when it comes to winning that board battle to get the puck out of the zone or making a good play when the puck gets rung around to his side.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
But its expecting way too much for that player to be able to sustain board wins. We dont have wingers predicated on their board battle, and lately we've been sacrificing size for players that are faster.

The funny thing is we used to beat the Habs for fun because we were bigger, meaner, and punished them. Now we've gone with some kind of faster club, with smaller players like Yama, Ennis, Nygard, Archibald, etc and we can't win board battles. We desperately need a Holloway now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I love physical hockey. Nurse just doesn't seem to be capable of filling out to the point of being a really imposing guy back there. There were some late whacks on the goalie yesterday and I figured that Nurse should be putting people on their asses. He didn't. I think that I overestimated his physical abilities even though he is a good fighter. Then there is the lack of offensive hockey IQ and the large pay that he receives. This is his chance to shine, show those that said that Nurse >> Klef that they are right. I'm not seeing it, and the sad part is that Klef had been playing handicapped.

Honestly, if he just wants to play for the highlight reels rather than the team, we should consider moving him for young and skilled players with a team first mentality. That said, I don't believe that to be the case, just stating what I would do if it was.
The most alarming thing about Nurse is he seems to be getting physically worse year over year. Like he’s actually getting slower, less agile, weaker, etc.

This stuff shouldn’t be happening at age 26.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Nurse is a great fighter but I'm not so sure he's really strong for his size. He seems to have trouble clearing guys in front of the net. Even when he's exerting a lot, you see the opposition barely moved.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Yeah, in the end, this really just tells me this is a poorly constructed roster. There are important elements to gaining and maintaining puck possession that are largely absent on this roster. We toss a ton of our winger money to a guy like Kassian that is the same as Looch on the boards, terrible. Weak stick skills and doesn't think fast enough to make a good play off the boards.

D as well, we have put a lot of money into D that can't think fast enough to make an accurate pass under pressure.

King K Rool

Big Bad
Mar 5, 2020
Edmonton
Well, it only took 6 days for the Oilers to make their fans stop giving a shit.

When's the last time you didn't feel abject shame following this franchise? 2006?

Seattle is looking more attractive to follow everyday. They'll probably have their shit together immediately too unlike this permanent clown show

Reactions: Fisticuffer

ehhteen

5-14-6-1
Jan 15, 2010
Connor's Place
We badly need to find McDavid another Maroon-type. Someone that can grind out things on the boards and win battles. Kassian, like Looch, is not very good on the boards. He loses the puck all the time, just not good at protecting pucks and making quick plays off the boards. Nuge is terrible on the boards and needs a guy like Drai on his line to do that work too. Of course we don't have a Drai clone to have a 2nd line and play with McDavid :)

One of these days we need to find some players not named Drai that actually compliment McDavid's game. The 1st line is really nothing more than waiting for McDavid to crank it up to 11, and whoever is lucky to be his wingers that night are the guys people think play well with him, but they really didn't actually do that much. When McDavid's game is off, none of these wingers are able to make something happen to make up the difference or give the line a different look aside from waiting for McDavid to do stuff.

Dylan Holloway

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
meh, I think eventually people just accept it and move on and the rage will turn into acceptance...like it does every year

Its harder this season, and the end of last, to just move on when we are still in the middle of pandemic restrictions in the middle of winter. This is our escape, and it sucks again. sigh.

Same reason I was into World Juniors this time more than I have been in a longtime, and the ending sucked. The whole pandemic Edmonton sports fans haven't had one good result to cheer for. Plus the Eskimos changes their name and will never be the Eskimos again. That sucked too.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well, it only took 6 days for the Oilers to make their fans stop giving a shit.

When's the last time you didn't feel abject shame following this franchise? 2006?

Seattle is looking more attractive to follow everyday. They'll probably have their shit together immediately too unlike this permanent clown show
Ugh that one season we made the playoffs, 2016?

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
meh, I think eventually people just accept it and move on and the rage will turn into acceptance...like it does every year
the only thing worse than Oilers being bad is the fanbase that accepts their failures every year.

its beyond me how some people can just sit there and defend our moves while preaching patience

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad