Post-Game Talk: spOiler Alert: Edmonton loses

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
FFS here we go the oiler fan mantra, start to shi* all over the best players on the team if they say or do anything and give the slugs a free pass or applause and always dfeend the horrible management of the team.

If there is anyone that deserves to complain it is mcdavid, he has been saddled with awful linemates most of his career that he makes look good and makes them money. Dragging around guys like kassian and chaisson and ty rattie year after year like boat anchors.
Yep.

Mario did that from 84 to around 88 . Must have played with 40 different 3rd line wingers.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Help is coming but it's down the road. I think that Broberg, Bouchard and Samorukov will be ready to help in supporting roles very soon, the problem is that we need someone in a lead role as well.

I don't think McDavid is waiting years for help. Missing the playoffs this year will really get the questions going.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I would scratch Barrie just to see what we got in Bouchard.
Bouch has 20+ games under his belt already this season where he was relied on heavily. Much lesser league but he wouldnt be too rusty.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He has not been that in his small sample with us as of yet. He has been part of the problem on the PP in fact, the very area he was supposed to help out in.
Fortunately 4 games doesn’t make a career. Everyone has been trash on the PP including mcdavid and Draisaitl.

Reactions: OldManBouchard

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Agreed. I think Barrie will turn around his PP play. Not so sure about ES play, but that is a different story, as that isn't what he is known for.
Actually I remember when 5 on 5 was his strength and PP was his weakness. His Av days. But this might have changed. I still wonder if he will emerge here as more of a top 4

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Bouch has 20+ games under his belt already this season where he was relied on heavily. Much lesser league but he wouldnt be too rusty.

Scratch Larsson, play Bouchard, run Bear-Barrie-Bouchard down the right side.

Seems crazy, icing more than one or two defencemen that can make an outlet pass, but let's try it, just for shits and giggles.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That’s more of a it’s been 25 games and we’ve only won 8 type of move.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I'm really pinning for this as well.

Barrie has been more bad than good while being slightly better than terrible.

I see Bouchard as the superior puck mover with an equal shot... and he can't really be that much worse defensively than Barrie... Can he?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm really pinning for this as well.

Barrie has been more bad than good while being slightly better than terrible.

I see Bouchard as the superior puck mover with an equal shot... and he can't really be that much worse defensively than Barrie... Can he?
?????
Barrie has had better possession numbers than Larsson (middle of the pack)
Has had the LOWEST goals against rates.
Has had the lowest high danger chances on the roster too.
He has, defensively been quite good. If you are going to pull anyone out for Bouchard, Bear or Larsson are your guys.
The only thing Barrie hasn't excelled with right now is offensively but that will come for him. I'm actually impressed with his current defensive ability.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
?????
Barrie has had better possession numbers than Larsson (middle of the pack)
Has had the LOWEST goals against rates.
Has had the lowest high danger chances on the roster too.
He has, defensively been quite good. If you are going to pull anyone out for Bouchard, Bear or Larsson are your guys.
The only thing Barrie hasn't excelled with right now is offensively but that will come for him. I'm actually impressed with his current defensive ability.

To me this says numbers can prove anything.

To be clear. Not putting words in your mouth. Genuinely asking.

Do you think Barrie has played well defensively or otherwise?

He isn't falling apart like Jones. Or Larsson. Or Bear even. I think every defenseman we have fielded does not get a pass from me.

I look at Barrie to date and think he is not part of the solution moving forward. I think he needs to get off that PP asap.

Edit: I'm impressed he isn't a tire fire like everyone else but I don't think you can call Barrie body of defensive work this year as impressive. Splitting hairs but I'm curious.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
To me this says numbers can prove anything.

To be clear. Not putting words in your mouth. Genuinely asking.

Do you think Barrie has played well defensively or otherwise?

He isn't falling apart like Jones. Or Larsson. Or Bear even. I think every defenseman we have fielded does not get a pass from me.

I look at Barrie to date and think he is not part of the solution moving forward. I think he needs to get off that PP asap.
I'm not saying he has played great or well.
I am saying he has played better consistently, than anyone not named Nurse or Koekkoek.
So pulling him out makes absolutely NO sense.
You don't pull your third best defender out for a rookie. You want to get the rookie in, pull someone who is playing worse out.

Reactions: Aerchon

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think Barrie looks pretty good defensively, I haven't noticed him in a bad way. He needs to get the offence going but frankly the entire team has been terrible for 3 out of 4 games, and they were completely shut down the last two games.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm not saying he has played great or well.
I am saying he has played better consistently, than anyone not named Nurse or Koekkoek.
So pulling him out makes absolutely NO sense.
You don't pull your third best defender out for a rookie. You want to get the rookie in, pull someone who is playing worse out.

Fair enough.

I think he needs off that PP and I suppose the best person to take his spot would be Nurse as they seem to be struggling with a RD and Nurse has had some success.

Bouchard in for someone else works for me. I actually don't think it matters who. I think we just need to see if the kid can one up the entire defense and actually be a positive influence on the game. By many accounts he is supposedly ready for prime time nhl. Not sure how he didn't get in the first round of changes.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Fair enough.

I think he needs off that PP and I suppose the best person to take his spot would be Nurse as they seem to be struggling with a RD and Nurse has had some success.

Bouchard in for someone else works for me. I actually don't think it matters who. I think we just need to see if the kid can one up the entire defense and actually be a positive influence on the game. By many accounts he is supposedly ready for prime time nhl. Not sure how he didn't get in the first round of changes.
They are struggling with a RD because they are still treating him like a left D.
Which you can tell cause Barrie is having to weirdly adapt and accept the puck.
Those players are all good enough to adapt to a RD, let him shoot.
Barrie isn't the problem on the PP, the other players not using him to his strengths and adapting to the change is the problem.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I hate the constant talk of putting RNH & Yamo on Drai's wings and leaving Connor with crap. How about you support the best player in the world and give him RNH & Yamo. We have yet to really see McDavid with 2 good wingers.
Put Drai with kahun & Puljujarvi
Kassian with Chaisson & Turris

Reactions: LTIR

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I hate the constant talk of putting RNH & Yamo on Drai's wings and leaving Connor with crap. How about you support the best player in the world and give him RNH & Yamo. We have yet to really see McDavid with 2 good wingers.
One thing is proven to have worked one thing isn’t.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
They are struggling with a RD because they are still treating him like a left D.
Which you can tell cause Barrie is having to weirdly adapt and accept the puck.
Those players are all good enough to adapt to a RD, let him shoot.
Barrie isn't the problem on the PP, the other players not using him to his strengths and adapting to the change is the problem.

Absolutely agree again.

Sports is completely results driven, as are most things. Should be fine with a RD is obvious but tgat it isn't succeeding is the reality. In a shortened season time is even less of a luxury.

I suspect Tippett has not had the proper plan/urgency required for the Oilers to modify their PP to fit properly. The simple solution would be to get a LD in there stat.

Klefbom was great on the PP but not exactly looking like the Lynch pin for historical best to worst.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Jones would be successful on that first unit more do than Barrie only because of handedness.

Reactions: destro909

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Oilers traded 2x 2nds for a winger for McDavid. Played Hall, Eberle, RNH, Drai etc with him. The organization has always put McDavid first. It's just hard to find someone to build chemistry with him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad