Post-Game Talk: spOiler Alert: Edmonton loses

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers traded 2x 2nds for a winger for McDavid. Played Hall, Eberle, RNH, Drai etc with him. The organization has always put McDavid first. It's just hard to find someone to build chemistry with him
Not Drais fault he found chemistry and insane success with 2 wingers.

Reactions: Canovin

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
One thing is proven to have worked one thing isn’t.
Well, its time to try it out then.

There was no proven reason other than stubbornness to have players paired up. Yama-Drai, Turris-Pulju, Mc-Nuge.

Give McD Nuge and Yama and see how that works.. If it doesnt then go back to DRY and hope Kahun clicks with McD

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
The power play needs Barrie to shoot every chance he gets for the next few PP’s. Penalty Kills are somehow giving him even more room than they gave Klef last year. Forcing them to respect his shot will result in a looser PK box allowing for the cross ice passes we executed so well last season. Adding in Neal potting a few from out front will spread the PK box even more.

Reactions: TB12

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
He has not been that in his small sample with us as of yet. He has been part of the problem on the PP in fact, the very area he was supposed to help out in.

I don't want to dispute what you are saying. He hasn't been all that impressive, but just to manage expectations....

He's batting a 0.5ppg average right now and is a single secondary assist away from 0.75ppg, which paces to 40-60 points on a full season... which would put him right in the range of his best numbers in Colorado.

Perhaps you were hoping for too much?

Excluding Shore, our entire third and fourth lines haven't scored a single point amongst them and I'd argue haven't generated the chances required to get lucky. Puljarvi may be the only "bright" spot with 12 shots, every body else has 5 SoG or less. That's a bigger concern for me.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Am I missing something? What's the conspiracy behind not re-uniting DRY?
I'm pretty sure it's just Tippett being stubborn/dense.
There was rumours last year mcdavid was unhappy having no one to play with on his line and requested they give him Nuge.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
No he’s not. Barrie is consistently productive offensive defensemen.
Unfortunately, we have seen very little of that so far. As did the Leafs last year. And he is atrocious in his own end defensively. He'll need to produce at a very high rate to makeup for all of his defensive gaffes.

Reactions: binop7

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Problem from the team, from the start since Pronger left, has always been a #1 Dman and that's what it is now with no Klefbom

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Unfortunately, we have seen very little of that so far. As did the Leafs last year. And he is atrocious in his own end defensively. He'll need to produce at a very high rate to makeup for all of his defensive gaffes.
Tyson Barrie was the leafs 5th highest point scorer last year after Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander. Also he hasn’t been bad defensively so far he’s been fine.

Cold Coffee

Elite/Franchise/Generational/BPA
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Hey boys. Trying to think of what could be done coming up here to get the team going. McD and Drai are such studs. Nuge and Yamamoto are pretty sick. Broberg/Bouchard/Holloway are good prospects. Nurse is a beast. You guys are f***ing loaded with talent. I think it’s more complementary moves that need to be made. I think getting a scoring winger in FA this summer would be big. I’d make a play after Hoffman.

McDavid
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto

Holloway can skate he would be good with McD. Him and Hoffman would be an unreal line centred by McD.

I wouldn’t stress if I was an Oilers fan. It’s 4 games in and you guys have 2 of the best players in the world. Good luck moving forward here guys.

Reactions: barry halls

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Bright spot, Kris Russell looked calm,cool and collected, and even had a great chance by hitting the cross bar on a great wrister. Mind you, when you compare him to the rest of the slugs that are trotted out, it's really going to make him look extra good.

Reactions: MessierII

North

Jun 25, 2009
Bright spot, Kris Russell looked calm,cool and collected, and even had a great chance by hitting the cross bar on a great wrister. Mind you, when you compare him to the rest of the slugs that are trotted out, it's really going to make him look extra good.

Well because he actually tries to defend.

In my opinion, Jones and Bear were bound to struggle. They’re young guys and ideally you pair them with a reliable partner.

The problem is neither Larsson nor Nurse are reliable.

Reactions: Stoneman89

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He’s playing like a scrub forward but he’s not being paid like one or treated like one given his line role. That’s the exact type of forward you described in your OP that could be sat.

Chiasson is on our top pp for some reason. Both Chiasson and Kassian are being given minutes they don't deserve and neither is doing anything to justify those minutes. Either one could be sat.

Reactions: Cloned

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Lagesson too imo, thought he fit in well.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
If Russell is a bright spot, you’re already screwed.
giphy.gif

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Chiasson is on our top pp for some reason. Both Chiasson and Kassian are being given minutes they don't deserve and neither is doing anything to justify those minutes. Either one could be sat.
I think sitting Kassian sends more of a message.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Tyson Barrie was the leafs 5th highest point scorer last year after Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander. Also he hasn’t been bad defensively so far he’s been fine.
Obviously issues or the Leafs would have extended him. 2 assists and minus 4 in four games here. Not a great start.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
After rethinking my stances I decided to look at the game rationally.

The game wasn’t as bad as we think last night. We did only allow 1 goal 5 v 5. When the game was 3-0, shore scored and Russell hit the post, McDavid got robbed. The real reason we lost was because our PP. If we had scored on one of the powerplays, the game would’ve been very different. Imagine if we had scored 1 goal or 2 on the powerplays at the end of the first period. The game would’ve been so much different in the second period.

I feel like we are missing Neal in front of the net. The other teams PKs know that they have to stop the passes between McDavid and Leon because there is no one threatening in front of the net. Neal is a different story. He has fast hands with actual finishing ability. Powerplay could change maybe with him

Reactions: ujju2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Obviously issues or the Leafs would have extended him. 2 assists and minus 4 in four games here. Not a great start.
The Leafs already had enough guys who could move the puck though. He is essentially a worse Reilly. They needed a different makeup on their backend.

Reactions: ujju2

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
FFS here we go the oiler fan mantra, start to shi* all over the best players on the team if they say or do anything and give the slugs a free pass or applause and always dfeend the horrible management of the team.

If there is anyone that deserves to complain it is mcdavid, he has been saddled with awful linemates most of his career that he makes look good and makes them money. Dragging around guys like kassian and chaisson and ty rattie year after year like boat anchors.
A big part of the reason for that is his 12.5 million dollar cap hit isn’t it? Hard to build a team filled with depth when one or two players are eating up so much cap. I’m not knocking what either McDavid or Draisatl is making, they’re great players. The reality is though, that there’s only so much money to go around and because of what they’re paid they’re always going to be stuck playing with patchwork line mates. Crosby has been dealing with this for a decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->