Spittin Chiclets Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Unpopular opinion but the show was better before Biz joined. He is probably the hardest working of the group and brings in the most interviews but outside of the interviews i get very little enjoyment of listening to him talk. I am sure there is some truth to the stories he tells but a lot of them seem like he is making stuff up as he goes. Like the shitty Cindy story, he could have ended it with the first part and it would have been believable but then he brought it up again in the next episode and it sounded completely made up. Too often he comes across as the kid in high school who has to make sure everyone knows he is not a virgin, but everyone doubts him bc he never shuts up about it.

I dont have problem with the sex talk that comes up in interviews but i couldnt care less if Grinneli got laid or what Biz did last weekend.

Even though i am not a golf fan at all, i do enjoy Whit's golf tirades because you can tell he is passionate about it and it really means something to him.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I dont think so personally. I got Biz and Granelli pegged as hfboard blue moon skimmers. Biz serious hot takes sound like something someone would post on hfboards lmao.

Whitney has quite literally mentioned HFBoards before.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Unpopular opinion but the show was better before Biz joined. He is probably the hardest working of the group and brings in the most interviews but outside of the interviews i get very little enjoyment of listening to him talk. I am sure there is some truth to the stories he tells but a lot of them seem like he is making stuff up as he goes. Like the ****ty Cindy story, he could have ended it with the first part and it would have been believable but then he brought it up again in the next episode and it sounded completely made up. Too often he comes across as the kid in high school who has to make sure everyone knows he is not a virgin, but everyone doubts him bc he never shuts up about it.

I dont have problem with the sex talk that comes up in interviews but i couldnt care less if Grinneli got laid or what Biz did last weekend.

Even though i am not a golf fan at all, i do enjoy Whit's golf tirades because you can tell he is passionate about it and it really means something to him.

Biz is also the main offender by far when it comes to interrupting guests. There's been more than one occasion where he's interviewing someone and the interviewee is about to tell an interesting story or tidbit and Biz has to jump in with "OH YEAH THAT'S KIND OF LIKE THE TIME I WAS DOING THIS AND THAT AND THEN I TOOK THIS GIRL HOME AND YOU KNOW THE REST HAHA". Makes me want to jump through my phone and tell him to just let people tell their own stories.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I can almost bet that they get sued some point in time because I bet a very personal story gets shared by somebody who happens to be on that show. And some personal stories have been shared, as I am aware as long as a player is playing that it remains secret, but when they retire the stories all go free.

I like hearing the stories though.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
There's a lot of good criticism that can be explained or rationalized. It's also important to remember this is a sports podcast from a professional company whose media business is centered around casual behavior. If you go into SC expecting it to be like something TSN or Sportsnet would put out, your expectations won't be met (that's a neutral statement).

Boston Bias - got better, but the B's making it to the SCF didnt help dissolve this stigma. Let's see what happens this season
Too much non-hockey - MvsW, inarguably the best hockey podcast in the short history of podcasts, was full of non-hockey talk, particularly at the beginning of episodes, which is a main reason that show was so great. From those stories, listeners felt like they were a silent part of a conversation among friends. SC is building that same ambiance, albeit with more divisive subject matter. Recency bias from it being the summer adds to this criticism
Grinelli - as the producer his job is the produce, not to contribute. he's asked some good interview questions when he's been able to, but otherwise i'm not sure what others are expecting from him. 4 people talking and sharing opinions would be too much, frankly. Whether or not he is contributing to drive the bus forward is unknown and he shouldn't be criticized for that. For all we know he could have been the brains behind the Budweiser Wagon Tour
Barstool affiliation - lots of great content comes from large media companies with bad reputations, though it's really easy to separate the two. For example, The Simpsons, Always Sunny, and Arrested Development are all part of FOX, which has a terrible reputation on many fronts. Liking SC does not automatically mean you support everything about Barstool, nor does not like Barstool serve as a reason to not give a popular hockey podcast, a fair shake.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I desperately want them to get Hull on the show, that would be friggin legendary. Seems like they have good access with the Blues, I just hope they can make this one work.

I believe they have dang near direct access to Hull at this point. Blues "superfan" and Barstool employee "YP" (owner of Boris the Chinchilla) appears to be dating Mr. Hull's daughter.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I don't even golf but I love when Whit starts talking about it, he gets in such a zone and is a great story teller when talking golf.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
Grinelli’s or any producers qualifications have nothing to do with the level of hockey played. In terms of actual production Grinelli seems pretty decent. But it’s the fact that w/o Biz you wouldn’t see their brand expand. Whit has other commitments(NHL network, ever heard of it) RA up until recently was working a full time job outside the podcast, and Biz has a job with the Coyotes. Grinelli is the one who works on spittin chiclets 24/7 and I really haven’t seen him come up with any ideas to help expand the brand.
I have zero inside knowledge, but I have to imagine Grinelli is a big part of a lot of the growth. He's the one up all night editing and producing the podcast. Very rarely are there any issues understanding or hearing what is being said. Whenever that happens its because the interviewee is out on their cell phone. The in person interviews are always great. Trying to listen to a podcast that is poorly produced is awful and usually causes me to just stop listening.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I disagree with the level of hockey played thing. Getting a former D1 guy who understands the lifestyle and could chime in with a good story every once in a while would be better. Grinelli didn't play hockey past high school. The brand was expanding before Biz joined the podcast, but obviously it took off once he joined full time. Im not sure if RA is Spittin Chiclets 24/7 now or not, I know he used to be a janitor. Might be a little tougher for Grinell to expand the brand, because hes basically a nobody, Whit and Biz have such a larger reach of people

I think they all like Grinell (who I think played at Plymouth State past high school) a lot on a personal level and he does a good job producing the podcast, as well as business relationships on the backend and being the “Barstool” rep for the pod. Someone who weighed in more would just take time away from Biz/Whit which I’m not sure makes the show itself better.

Also a bit off topic but I know his roommate played at Denver through 2018 so I think he probably knows a few people and kinda understands the lifestyle from that as well.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think they all like Grinell (who I think played at Plymouth State past high school) a lot on a personal level and he does a good job producing the podcast, as well as business relationships on the backend and being the “Barstool” rep for the pod. Someone who weighed in more would just take time away from Biz/Whit which I’m not sure makes the show itself better.

Also a bit off topic but I know his roommate played at Denver through 2018 so I think he probably knows a few people and kinda understands the lifestyle from that as well.

He didnt play at Plymouth State. Kid from Denver is pretty funny on social media but I dont think they live together

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
He didnt play at Plymouth State. Kid from Denver is pretty funny on social media but I dont think they live together
They are planning to move in together. Grinnelli just got a new place and that other guy is slowly moving in.

edit: I sent that and realized how creepy it sounds. Just stuff I saw them post on Twitter though lol. I guess my brain retained it.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Grinelli just doesn't seem like a likable person. Better that he doesnt talk much.

RA is an important part of the show. He's knowledgeable about the sport and he brings the fan's perspective. He has been blogging about hockey for a very long time. He deserves some flack from the guys when he says stupid things but I think they go too far with it since he is an easy target.

I'm from the Boston area, I remember when Barstool was just a free paper that you could find around town at the subway stops. When they went online, I read some of their stuff for a few years. I matured around 23 or so and didn't find their humor funny anymore.

Portnoy is insufferable.

Reactions: mrhockey193195
Mar 12, 2009
I heard stories of Ryan Whitney being a bit of an ass in real life from listening to the Doughboys podcast. Never really been interested, might give it a shot if a particularly interesting guest comes up but it seems kind of boring (to me) from what I have heard.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
I heard stories of Ryan Whitney being a bit of an ass in real life from listening to the Doughboys podcast. Never really been interested, might give it a shot if a particularly interesting guest comes up but it seems kind of boring (to me) from what I have heard.
Crosby, Mackinnon, McDavid, Burns, Eichel, Fleury, Reaves, or Yandle not interesting enough?

Not to mention guys like Kelly Chase, Terry Ryan, Adam Oates...

Also had guys like Bill Burr and Jon Hamm on..

Who would you consider interesting?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

I dont know if you could find anyone more interesting to interview. They have hit just about every part of the game - from superstars to hall of famers to minor league heroes. Its extremely entertainign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad