Spezza out with groin injury

John Holmes*

Spezza deserves criticism when he still tries junior moves 10+ years in to his NHL career.

The toe drags and blind passes look great when they connect, unfortunately that's not very often.

Spezza has a ton of talent, I don't think anyone can question that, but in my opinion, he can do more than he does.

There's a reason that he doesn't get invited to team Canada's including the embarrassing snub at the WHC's which is essentially a loser tournament.

He has to pick up his game and take it to the next level.

Maybe now that he has the C and player 11 is gone, he'll do that.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Can't pick his game up when playing injured, which is what it looks like in the SJ game. The team is saying groin, I wouldn't be surprised if his back is trouble to.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Either Scanlon or MacGregor-forget which-was saying the Spezza was very anxious to get back on the ice to show Hockey Canada that he's ready for the Olympics.

I dont know if its rust but I cant imagine they are very impressed so far.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Either Scanlon or MacGregor-forget which-was saying the Spezza was very anxious to get back on the ice to show Hockey Canada that he's ready for the Olympics.

Spezza's got one pass to Ryan on the pp for his highlight video reel. 30-40 more games like this and he may have a couple more to add to it. Bet he doesn't show his dumb selfish penalty in that video.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Spezza played muchh better game today but had 5 giveaways most of them dangerous.

For comparison: The rest of the team had 10 with Karlsson at 2nd with 2.

I have no worries he'll shore it up with some talks from MacLean.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Spezza was fine. He's a big dude, he's not going to move his legs like Marty St. Louis out there but he clearly had no trouble keeping up with the play and was making good things happen up and down the ice tonight.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

I feel bad for him. He clearly wants so badly to be an Olympian, but it just isn't going to happen for him. He literally has zero chance - Hockey Canada have made it abundantly clear that he isn't on their radar in any capacity.

Somebody should sit him down and gently explain this to him. He's risking his health and the success of his club for nothing.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Last night he had another terrible game for a new captain. A bunch of turn overs, got stripped of the puck due to laziness, then gets a horrible penalty which basically put the nail in the coffin of that game.

And once again, he gets one point, due to Bobby Ryan's hard work keeping the puck in the zone, something he can't be bothered to do.

Right now, he is playing like a second or third line center.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Last night he had another terrible game for a new captain. A bunch of turn overs, got stripped of the puck due to laziness, then gets a horrible penalty which basically put the nail in the coffin of that game.

And once again, he gets one point, due to Bobby Ryan's hard work keeping the puck in the zone, something he can't be bothered to do.

Right now, he is playing like a second or third line center.

it doesn't sound like you watched the game.

WhiteLight*

Ridiculous pass. Amazing.

But same old same old. Giveaways, questionable defense and stupid penalty leading to a goal. It's what we've come to expect.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That penalty doesn't get called 9 times out of 10. To be honest I like it when I see that kind of jam from Spezza.

It sucks that they didn't kill it off for him, but to be honest our PK hasn't been great.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It was a nice pass. But paying this guy 7 million for him to win face offs and pass well seems like a bad deal.

So true,

this guy wins a couple faceoffs, makes an OK pass here and there, is a career + player, and is accidentally one of the few PPG career players as well, and now everyone thinks that he should be paid a little over 10% of the cap?!?

This guy is no where near as good as a ton of other players paid more on other teams with lesser stats, and the proof is that drop pass, and that give away he had in his 18 minutes of play time.

This guy is so selfish, he is big and heavy, but refuses to out skate our smaller and faster players, what gives?? He smiles and has a light spirit when he should be frowny and grumpy!!

Obviously they accidentally sewed the "C" on his sweater instead of Phillips. Clearly our jersey squad is also overpaid and prone to gaffs.... Probably laugh and giggle to much too...

;)

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
That penalty doesn't get called 9 times out of 10. To be honest I like it when I see that kind of jam from Spezza.

It sucks that they didn't kill it off for him, but to be honest our PK hasn't been great.

Lol, yet another symptom of the Spezza worship. When he does something moronic which ends up costing us the game, you rationalize it by saying "in this case it was a good move, but ultimately it was the refs and the PKs fault."

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lol, yet another symptom of the Spezza worship. When he does something moronic which ends up costing us the game, you rationalize it by saying "in this case it was a good move, but ultimately it was the refs and the PKs fault."

Imagine if that was Kassian, Gryba, Greening or Smith that got that penalty that cost them the game. People would be all over them to trade them or just get them off the team. When I watch games all I see is Spezza giving the puck away with regularity, killing momentum by turning the puck over, skating at a snail's pace back towards the defensive zone, playing east/west instead of north/south & occassionally making a nice play. It's pretty clear to me why Team Canada doesn't pick him yr after yr, unless it's for the Spengler Cup. He's a skilled player but IMO doesn't work nearly hard enough & doesn't play a very smart game.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Imagine if that was Kassian, Gryba, Greening or Smith that got that penalty that cost them the game. People would be all over them to trade them or just get them off the team. When I watch games all I see is Spezza giving the puck away with regularity, killing momentum by turning the puck over, skating at a snail's pace back towards the defensive zone, playing east/west instead of north/south & occassionally making a nice play. It's pretty clear to me why Team Canada doesn't pick him yr after yr, unless it's for the Spengler Cup. He's a skilled player but IMO doesn't work nearly hard enough & doesn't play a very smart game.

Yes. The saddest thing is that he has demonstrated himself of being capable of playing that way. Just look to the first shift he played in the playoffs last season. He was skating hard, throwing his weight around, fighting for the puck, and nearly got a goal or an assist. There was a hunger there I seldom see from him. He CHOOSES NOT TO.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yes. The saddest thing is that he has demonstrated himself of being capable of playing that way. Just look to the first shift he played in the playoffs last season. He was skating hard, throwing his weight around, fighting for the puck, and nearly got a goal or an assist. There was a hunger there I seldom see from him. He CHOOSES NOT TO.

Agreed.

Spezza is a beatiful talent but when he makes giveaways and doesn't skate hard that isn't because "its part of his game" its cause he chooses to do those.

In Karlsson's Norris year(especially 2nd half of that season) and beginning of last year he looked like an all-around top 10 center.

Now he's channeling his inner 2005 circa.

I want to make myself perfectly clear, I ain't bashing Spezza. I love the guy and been one of his biggest fans. I'm just seeing stuff from his game I haven't seen in a while and I hope, and have no worries, that it will be cleared up. Especially cause he can't be doing this with the C on his chest. To say though that it's part of his game is false.

enviro61

Sep 12, 2006
Ottawa
I am a big Spezza fan and have no desire to see him traded but I think coaches and fans keep him in check when he does his dumb ass ****. He tends to steer back into AHL mode and not shooting mode by default and requires constant redirection. He has proven that he is sensitive to the fans disgruntlement so I've no issue with fans taking issue with his AHL behaviour when it surfaces.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Oh man, it must be really hard for some of you to watch hockey, and our team specifically. Some weird form of self torture!

Hahahaha, I enjoy the game and don't sweat mistakes from any player, be he a star or thug.

Watching some of you squirm and lay blame and get pissy is interesting to me. It really is just apparent that some have no idea of the nature of humans, it's like players are robots!

And as for you aragorn, you're full of it and you know it. No one gets more flack than Spezza. If kassian or some other no name big body you love had been responsible for a goal the reactionary types would have been pissy just like they are about Spezza. The thing is, Spezza gets flack even when he doesn't do things that lead to goals. He can play a great game, and all the nancy's remember is the giveaway...

I'm happy i discovered the term "nancy" makes me laugh everytime I use it!

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Spezza's groin is not ready for playing. Its taken away all his speed. He needs more time off.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
The guy has to be nursing another injury or else we could be seeing wade redden part 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad