Spezza and Sochi Olympics

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not necessarily.

If he comes back from injury and goes on fire (as he often does) and makes something big happen at the end of the season/in the playoffs I think he'll get a look.

However, Spezza always seems to have been snubbed by the Olympic teams so I wouldn't count on it.

Vikes88

@CrushSoda
Jan 19, 2013
Victoria, BC
I'd say it's far too early to tell (it is a year away, after all), and would mostly depend on whether he's even got the desire to play. That being said, this might make him a bit more cautious, but I don't think it's possible to know what bump or fall could be the next aggravation. Could be his first game back this season if at all, could be at Sochi, could be never.

DonthaveaCOWEN

Jul 29, 2010
Sorta related...If Canada calls on Babcock to be head coach again, I would think there would be an extremely good chance that Paul MacLean could end up being on his bench as an assistant if he keeps up the terrific job he has been doing

John Holmes*

Yep.

Stamkos, Crosby, Thornton, Couture, Tavares, Lecavalier, Staal...

Lots of competition.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Can't see him beating out Stamkos, Crosby (other that due to injury), Toews, or Tavares. These guys are all young and will be on Team Canada now and in the future. Toews can also be effective on any line.

He'd be competing with the Lecavalier, Thornton, Getzlafs of the world, not to mention RNH, Richards, and Stall for the last spot, but may loose out to someone with a better suited game for the bottom 6.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
Can't see him beating out Stamkos, Crosby (other that due to injury), Toews, or Tavares. These guys are all young and will be on Team Canada now and in the future. Toews can also be effective on any line.

He'd be competing with the Lecavalier, Thornton, Getzlafs of the world, not to mention RNH, Richards, and Stall for the last spot, but may loose out to someone with a better suited game for the bottom 6.

Plus Bergeron (who I think is a lock due to his defensive abilities), Seguin, Duchesne, the other Richards you didn't name (Mike or Brad), and Benn. There's just a lot of competition at the centre ice position, and as NyQuil stated Spezza being solely a centre hurts his chances.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Wasn't making it regardless. Almost certainly.

Spez za lends himself better to an NHL team than he does to team Canada. And if you haven't made the program by late 20s, you probably aren't getting in.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I never had Spezza going to the Olympics before this injury so that doesn't change anything for me. I just don't think the people picking these players like his style of play & want more defensively responsible players, guys who play 200'. While he has improved dramatically defensively & has gotten much better at faceoffs I think there is too much good competition at centre & it won't be just about points.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
I just cant see it. Even with a sure fire season in 2013-2014 i doubt he makes the team. What we do have however are

Karlsson- Lock
Anderson- Maybe a third string bid behind Quick/Schneider/Howard/Smith

TheOriginalSilf*

Haha, I guarantee Anderson doesn't make the squad. No shot in hell. It doesn't even matter how well he plays this season.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Some of the Canadian centers:
Crosby
Stamkos
Giroux
Toews
Thornton
Getzlaf
Spezza
Bergeron
Tavares
Staal
Staal
B. Richards
M. Richards
Couture
Benn
ROR
RNH
Duchene
Weiss
Carter
Fisher

Yeah, Spezza's not going.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
No matter what Spezza does during the regular season he will always be overlooked. He was like 4th last year in points I think? I still didn't see anyone talking about him on the level of the other guys. He's literally a top 5 player in the league yet no one talks about in that sense. I think he'll have to win a cup before he's considered elite. Even then I'm not sure he'll get the respect he deserves.

I remember a couple weeks ago people we're compiling lists of the best centres in the league and some people didn't put him top 10 others didn't even have him on their lists.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I just cant see it. Even with a sure fire season in 2013-2014 i doubt he makes the team. What we do have however are

Karlsson- Lock
Anderson- Maybe a third string bid behind Quick/Schneider/Howard/Smith

Smith is Canadian, no? And Miller omitted or forgotten?

Milo's gonna be there, Gonch too I'd reckon.

Dagauvins, Regin, DaCosta all have their teams play in the qualifying games tomorrow, too.

WhiteLight*

He's not good enough plain and simple. It's not like he was gonna show any progression this season from his previous play.

Staal - Crosby - Stamkos
Hall - Tavares - Eberle
Benn - Toews - Giroux
Staal - Bergeron - Seguin
Couture

Keith - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Weber
Staal - Letang
Subban

Price
Luongo
Fleury

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
He's not good enough plain and simple. It's not like he was gonna show any progression this season from his previous play.

Staal - Crosby - Stamkos
Hall - Tavares - Eberle
Benn - Toews - Giroux
Staal - Bergeron - Seguin
Couture

Keith - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Weber
Staal - Letang
Subban

Price
Luongo
Fleury

Unless they have stellar years, they do not deserve to be on the team.

WhiteLight*

Unless they have stellar years, they do not deserve to be on the team.

you could say that for anyone, but yes somewhat agree with you. but who would replace them? Goatlending is very thin.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Am I the only one that thinks that right now Spezza is a better player then Tavares?

In a couple years that might well change, but I'd much rather Spezza and all his playoff experience on the Olympic squad then the kid from Long Island.

WhiteLight*

Am I the only one that thinks that right now Spezza is a better player then Tavares?

In a couple years that might well change, but I'd much rather Spezza and all his playoff experience on the Olympic squad then the kid from Long Island.

No. JT just brings it and can play the wing also.

John Holmes*

Spezza's cute no look passes to the other team have surely been noticed.

Plus, as good as he is, he's never dominated a game the way a guy like Crosby or Stamkos can.

If he finds that next level, there won't be any questions about him being on the team.

He can play his way on, it's up to him.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Not at all. Spezza is straight up a better player than Tavares. There are not more than 3 centres that I would put ahead of Spezza. In fact since Giroux plays the wing I would only put Stamkos and Crosby ahead of Spezza as Canadian centres.

People really don't give Spezza the respect he deserves. Alfredsson said he's our best defensive player for a reason. He has REALLY amped it up in his own end, he makes smarter decisions and his faceoffs are unreal. On top of this he carried a team of kids with Karlsson to the playoffs while going 6th overall in Hart voting and finishing 4th in scoring. Honestly that he gets overlooked so much is unreal. I doubt there are 5 centres in the world let alone that are Canadian that could have done what Spezza did last year.

My team?

James Neal - Sidney Crosby - Corey Perry
Martin St. Louis - Steven Stamkos - Claude Giroux
Rick Nash - Jason Spezza - John Tavares
Taylor Hall - Jonathan Toews - Jordan Eberle

Eric Staal, Jamie Benn

Shea Weber - Alex Petriangelo
Duncan Keith - Kris Letang
Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Drew Doughty

Mark Methot, Brent Seabrook

Carey Price
Roberto Luongo