Spengler Cup

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I thought the NLA champ was in the tournament not a Swiss national team. Did this change?

It wasn't necessarily like that before. Talking about the other Swiss clubs that recently played alongside Davos in the Spengler Cup, Geneva has never won the NLA (if I remember well...) and last time Lugano won it was back in 2005-06.

The Swiss national team would take part in the Spengler Cup back in the old days (1970s) when they weren't good, as they were pool B fodder. Back in those days the clubs from the top nations would hand their ass to them.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
By the way, that Indrasis dude from Dinamo Riga looks like quite the player. Best player for them in first game, also IN MY OPINION now for the victory over HPK (got the OT winner, too).

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Rene faisal needs to be a little bit more carefull with his words when talking about hockey lol

Hagstrom

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Canada through to the final, beating Mountfield 5-2. It'd be funny if the final was Team Canada vs Team Switzerland, since they play each other in their first game at the Olympics

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Canada through to the final, beating Mountfield 5-2. It'd be funny if the final was Team Canada vs Team Switzerland, since they play each other in their first game at the Olympics
Hey Hagstrom - anywhere we can find line combos?

Hagstrom

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
There's not a whole lot of info out there, I couldn't really find anything. I wasn't paying 100% attention to the game, but the guys who seemed to be out there a lot were Boychuk, McIntyre, Parenteau, Lapierre, McClement, Thomas, D'Agostini, and Kelly, for the forwards. Noreau and Hickey for the defence.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Watching Davos Canada Switzerland play on the big ice with a superb crowd in a full arena is a lot more fun than watching the pathetic World Juniors this year.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Watching Davos Canada Switzerland play on the big ice with a superb crowd in a full arena is a lot more fun than watching the pathetic World Juniors this year.

The WJC usually gets good during the elimination rounds but the Spengler Cup is typically a lot more entertaining than the vast majority of round robin WJC games.

The Swiss-Davos game today was great during the first period, but has unfortunately turned into a late blow-out.

The Final should be interesting, the Swiss team will be a tough opponent.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
The WJC usually gets good during the elimination rounds but the Spengler Cup is typically a lot more entertaining than the vast majority of round robin WJC games.

The Swiss-Davos game today was great during the first period, but has unfortunately turned into a late blow-out.

The Final should be interesting, the Swiss team will be a tough opponent.

How many Canadians are playing for the Swiss team?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
How many Canadians are playing for the Swiss team?

Tanner Richard is born in Switzerland and lived most of his life there. But he's got both passports. Cody Almond is injured.
Funny fact: Will Petschenig, playing for Canada, also has both passports.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
0-0 halfway into the game. But it's a great game, a lot of speed, great intensity.

Feb 24, 2017
How is this not talked about more here?

This is the only international hockey I still watch.

f*** I love the Spengler Cup.

It’s a bucket lister for sure.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
First one a lucky bounce (Shot -> Geering -> Diaz -> Boychuck). Second one a great shot after a bully by Noreau. Switzerland overall a bit better but fails to capitalize. Poulin with a great game, too, very calm and rock solid.

Feb 24, 2017
This kind of hockey always takes me down the rabbit hole. YouTube has taught me tonight that Leon Draisitle has a father who represented Germany in 3 Olympics hockey tourneys. And when Jason Woolley scored in the shootout vs Germany in the 1992 Olympic qf, the announcer credited him with “a ballsy move” going top shelf haha

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
You'd have to think the scheduling has affected the Swiss as this game's gone on. Having the semi-finals at 2PM and 7 PM then the final at 11AM the next day is just... silly.

Feb 24, 2017
You'd have to think the scheduling has affected the Swiss as this game's gone on. Having the semi-finals at 2PM and 7 PM then the final at 11AM the next day is just... silly.

I’m so happy right now. Pretty much only game I care about all year.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

I was thinking that too. I wonder if anyone has run the numbers and determined what the winning percentage is of the team that plays the late final versus the early final? They both have to play the day before, but playing late might be harder to wind down and get a good night's sleep. Switzerland didn't look as good today as they did in the semi (part of that was of course, Canada and Poulin).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad