Rumor: Spencer Foo To Make FA Signing Decision in June (upd 6/27: Agrees to sign with CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Stauffer said on Oilers now that 1 team has offered him a starting night position on the NHL club and it was not the oilers. So I assume he is as good as gone. Las Vegas I assume.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Stauffer said on Oilers now that 1 team has offered him a starting night position on the NHL club and it was not the oilers. So I assume he is as good as gone. Las Vegas I assume.

And fair enough. I would rather the Oilers not be getting a player of this caliber than to be guaranteeing roster spots.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

Can't blame him. Playing full time making large in the NHL as opposed to earning a spot on a cup contender would be a tough call. Life changing money.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Can't blame him. Playing full time making large in the NHL as opposed to earning a spot on a cup contender would be a tough call. Life changing money.

I truly feel that the entire fan base was hoping he would sign with us and that the McDavid factor would be enough to do so. I can already here the boo's from our fans whenever he touches the puck. :laugh:

Damn shame he's being foolish, he's not going to amount into anything much over there.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I truly feel that the entire fan base was hoping he would sign with us and that the McDavid factor would be enough to do so. I can already here the boo's from our fans whenever he touches the puck. :laugh:

Damn shame he's being foolish, he's not going to amount into anything much over there.

The fans aren't going to boo him, no one will remember him if he signs somewhere else. I'm certainly not expecting the guy to turn down close to a million dollars, if not more, to play with his hometown team.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The fans aren't going to boo him, no one will remember him if he signs somewhere else. I'm certainly not expecting the guy to turn down close to a million dollars, if not more, to play with his hometown team.

No kidding. He's going to do what's in the best interests of his future.

If he feels like the Oilers are his best choice, awesome.

If he goes somewhere else, best of luck to him.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I can see the appeal of playing for Vegas (or any team guaranteeing playing time); however, from a long term perspective, this isn't always the best approach. Playing in Vegas, Foo will likely get eaten alive on a very poor team and his long term value will plummet. I would think it would make more long term sense to find a team that's more established, even if it means starting off in the AHL for the first year.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008

You're talking like he's made a decision already. Has it been announced?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I can see the appeal of playing for Vegas (or any team guaranteeing playing time); however, from a long term perspective, this isn't always the best approach. Playing in Vegas, Foo will likely get eaten alive on a very poor team and his long term value will plummet. I would think it would make more long term sense to find a team that's more established, even if it means starting off in the AHL for the first year.

At the same time some people here are saying that acquiring Foo would be like getting a second rounder who's a bit further along than most second rounders. Well second rounders don't often have super long NHL careers, so taking the guaranteed money from playing a full year or two in the NHL is probably the smarter move over signing with a team that may never call you up.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
When you look at the Oilers Forwards:

Maroon - McDavid - RW1
Lucic - Draitsaitl - RW2
Pouillot - RNH - Kassian
LW1 - Letestu - RW4

The above wingers are established.

Wingers to take those spots:
Strome
Slepshev
Cagguila
Puljujarvi
Pakarinen
Khaira
Laleggia ?

Thats 6-7 forwards to take 4 spots. I suppose Pouillots spot could be taken if he doesnt impress in camp.

Strome is pretty much a guarantee to take a spot after the trade.
Slepshev should be guaranteed a spot unless hes awful in training camp.
Cagguila will likely get a spot, as the coaching staff seems to like him.
Puljujarvi will be given every opportunity to take a spot.
Pakarinen probably wont get a spot but hes pretty much a lock for a roster spot as the #13.
Khaira will have the opportunity to get a spot in camp.
Laleggia will have the opportunity to get a spot in camp.

Theres not really that much room on the roster and thats assuming that they dont pick someone up in FA (barring injuries).

If Foo's goal is to make the NHL next year, its pretty unlikely that he will be on the roster. Theres pretty much one spot for him, Pulju, Khaira or Laleggia. It is pretty unlikely he makes it.

Would be nice to see him join Bakersfield and develop. Hopefully he chooses EDM rather than trying to fast track his way to the NHL but you cant really blame him I guess.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'd prefer to have plays who want to show they belong and earn their spot over guys with decent college stats that want guaranteed spots. Good competition is the best way to improve.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I really doubt we land him at this point. He probably wants to at least get a taste of an NHL paycheck this year. He'd most likely be 5-7 on the RW depth chart here.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Foo has been guaranteed a roster spot? Can't be the Flames.

"Always earned, never given."

Haha. Wasn't that a Bob Hartley thing?

Either way, I can't see the Flames giving him that guarantee and DEFINITELY can't see Ken Holland giving him that guarantee in Detroit.

Therefore, I'm pretty confident that Vegas is the team to offer him a spot on the opening roster. Good for him, I guess.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
When you look at the Oilers Forwards:

Maroon - McDavid - RW1
Lucic - Draitsaitl - RW2
Pouillot - RNH - Kassian
LW1 - Letestu - RW4

The above wingers are established.

Wingers to take those spots:
Strome
Slepshev
Cagguila
Puljujarvi
Pakarinen
Khaira
Laleggia ?

Thats 6-7 forwards to take 4 spots. I suppose Pouillots spot could be taken if he doesnt impress in camp.

Strome is pretty much a guarantee to take a spot after the trade.
Slepshev should be guaranteed a spot unless hes awful in training camp.
Cagguila will likely get a spot, as the coaching staff seems to like him.
Puljujarvi will be given every opportunity to take a spot.
Pakarinen probably wont get a spot but hes pretty much a lock for a roster spot as the #13.
Khaira will have the opportunity to get a spot in camp.
Laleggia will have the opportunity to get a spot in camp.

Theres not really that much room on the roster and thats assuming that they dont pick someone up in FA (barring injuries).

If Foo's goal is to make the NHL next year, its pretty unlikely that he will be on the roster. Theres pretty much one spot for him, Pulju, Khaira or Laleggia. It is pretty unlikely he makes it.

Would be nice to see him join Bakersfield and develop. Hopefully he chooses EDM rather than trying to fast track his way to the NHL but you cant really blame him I guess.

Strome is more established than Kassian. Pouliot will be 4th line LW. Maroon doesnt have a guaranteed spot on the top line. It will be a crap shoot in preseason and everyone will get a chance to take that spot. IMO its Lucic's to lose again.

Lucic, Maroon, Caggiula, Pouliot on LW
McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Letestu down the middle
Strome, Kassian, xxx,xxx on the RW

Slepychev, Khaira and Pakarinen will fight for 12\13\14 spots

We will bring in someone to challenge Puljujarvi for the other top 6 RW spot.
Foo has no chance of cracking the lineup unless he outplays Puljujarvi. Slepy and Khaira wont be going through waivers.. Pakarinen is not exempt but might still get waived.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Haha. Wasn't that a Bob Hartley thing?

Either way, I can't see the Flames giving him that guarantee and DEFINITELY can't see Ken Holland giving him that guarantee in Detroit.

Therefore, I'm pretty confident that Vegas is the team to offer him a spot on the opening roster. Good for him, I guess.

I'll say it again - do you want to earn your spot on what could very well be a 10 year playoff contending team, or do you want to be gifted a roster spot on an expansion team... We aren't talking about Mario Lemieux here - I'm not even 10% convinced that Foo is ready to play in the NHL. If he goes to the AHL, earns a solid paycheque, and makes the most of his opportunity, the NHL roster spot WILL come. Lots of the Oilers guys listed above like Laleggia and Khaira and Pa and even Pulju are either marginal prospects or not ready yet themselves. I guess he chooses if he wants to be part of SOMETHING or wants cash.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I can't begrudge the guy to choose where he gets guaranteed NHL time.

An NHL career is not a given for him and he needs to make the most of every opportunity.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To be honest I'd rather take a shot on giving a player like Grigorenko a shot. We did the college UFA thing with Caggiula last year, and while it was good at times, it also requires a big learning curve for these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad