[SPECULATION] Teams at the bottom of the standings could play for 1st overall pick (NHL B.O.G Meetings)

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Why are people carrying on like this is a thing? Watch the damn video or read the transcript posted earlier in this thread. A few people talked about this and Gris Johnson ether found out about it. It wasn‘t a formal discussion or proposal. There’s absolutely no indication that there is any kind of serious support for the idea.

Posters really need to look into what is actually being reported rather than just reading a headline and going off on rants. But I doubt that many of you will .

Half-assed reactions like this are one of the reasons that social media is such a mess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Horrible idea. These players are literally competing to earn their own replacement.

Dystopian bullshit.

Horrible reduction.

I look at a team like the present Habs, filled with uninspired vets, but brimming with talented youth, the latter would actually be highly incentivized (if they have a competitive nature) to play to win so they can have better teammates. I'm sure Suzuki and Caufield would be thrilled to add a Bedard or Fantili to help them shoulder the team.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The superior solution was suggested a long, long time ago and it's this:

The picking order is determined by who earns the most points after being mathematically eliminated from playoffs - the count starting only after the team's mathematically eliminated.

Benefits:

1. Worst teams get eliminated first so they have more time to earn points, but will still have to earn them.

2. Teams will always want to win and so tanking will cease to exist. Fans will always cheer for a win.

3. Based on points earned instead of a lottery so it's an achievement, not random.

4. Meaningful games for the entire season.

What does the current system possibly have over this? Nothing. However, it makes too much sense, so NHL will not implement it since NHL's allergic to doing sensible things.

As much as I've always liked this idea, it would kill TDL.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sounds like it is being discussed to potentially replace the draft lottery.
before everyone gets all over the moon for the idea(which I love)

Teams that are going for the first over all pick and it is obvious

Chicago
Ducks
BJs
Arizona
San Jose
With Ottawa and Flyers just about to fall into the race

Between now and and say Feb 1st you could see Montreal, Nashville and a few other teams toss in the towel on this year

Not saying they are losing intentionally but they are not going out of their way to win this year due to how deep the draft pool is.

Why am I naming names? Remember the McDavid draft year and the NHL tried to change the lotto rules that year? Bettman did not have the votes to impose it on that draft year--Buffalo and a few other teams reportedly raised holy hell behind the scene to stop it (oilers voted in favour of the changes)

What I am saying is the NHL may want to do it--but there are enough teams in the running to get a good draft pick that if it comes to a vote--NHL wont have the votes to get it passed for this years draft

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Whoever thought it was "fun to think outside the box" ought to be fired. It's a idea I'd expect out of the worst of people here, not from anyone associated with management of an NHL team.

It'd basically insure that the worst team(s) in the league never gets any better since they'll never manage to draft better than 5th or 6th, or if you award it to the team that loses the "tournament" it'd be an own-goal fiasco that nobody would want to be a part of.

Players wouldn't want it, fans don't want it if they stop and think about it.

Dumb idea.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Just give it to the worst team with no chance of picking up two in a row, if they finish last next season it goes to the second last team. And if the second last team finishes last the next season then it goes to the second last team again no matter.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I love the serious over-reaction here. It’s a pretty reasonable idea that encourages competitive play and discourages tanking. Logistically intending to suck is bad for the game and they should do whatever within reason to make it go away.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
That's Bettman in a nutshell. Rapacious greed over common sense.
There was no indication in the report that Bettman or the league office had anything to do with the idea. It just said that a few people were talking about it.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The NHL has had some pretty stupid ideas in their time but this one is probably the stupidest.

Impressive.
Once again, this was something a few people talked about at the BOG meetings. That's all. The TSN crew certainly did not think it was something that would go anywhere. The headline for this thread is somewhat misleading. In fact, my guess is that Chris Johnson may have simply asked "What are some of the thinks you governors have been talking about between yourselves?" and gotten this as an answer. I'd honestly be surprised if governors and GMs didn't discuss and shoot down all kinds of dumb ideas when brainstorming amongst themselves.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The tanking boogeyman is creating havoc in people's minds again.
More likely, a governor or some other team person at the meeting who doesn't like the lottery spitballing some ideas with a few others. There is nothing in the report to indicate that it was something the league has actually formally discussed -- just that a few people talked about it at the meetings.

Bettman's idea on how can i make the NHL even worst?
If you watched the report or read the transcript posted earlier in this thread, the TSN crew certainly doesn't think this is something that Bettman would go for. It was just reported as something that a few people talked about at the meetings.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
More likely, a governor or some other team person at the meeting who doesn't like the lottery spitballing some ideas with a few others. There is nothing in the report to indicate that it was something the league has actually formally discussed -- just that a few people talked about it at the meetings.
:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad