Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think our best bet is using a bumper team like Ottawa to retain half in the summer. Actually would benefit Ottawa to do so. $3.25M towards the cap floor, only 613K in real money.

I don’t think he’d waive to go there.

The only teams he’d waive to go to that aren’t contenders (likely) would be LA and Anaheim - back out west

Maybe San Jose takes him but they have other priorities that would eat cap space

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I don’t think he’d waive to go there.

The only teams he’d waive to go to that aren’t contenders (likely) would be LA and Anaheim - back out west

Maybe San Jose takes him but they have other priorities that would eat cap space

If it was to Ottawa only for the retain portion and then he was moved to another contender I'm sure he would waive. As with Brassard last year you can't retain salary as part of a three way deal so the Leafs would have to trade Marleau to Ottawa first before being traded to his new team.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
i've liked clifford as an add for a while, he's a capable bottom 6 with lots of sand
Crouse is the other one i keep pushing
DSP in the offseason

I used to be higher on Crouse at the beginning of the year but the guy cant do anything offensively. I suppose anyone could post 40 points letting shots bank off him all year in front of the net on the PP.

I like Clifford though. He'd be popular here.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Crunching some numbers, Leafs need to move Zaitsev out and replace him with like Jensen who will be a factor of the cost and play the same role. A cost to sign him for next season can't be that high either I would imagine. Assuming Gardiner walks, Brown is deal for futures it's still going to be tight (e.g. Kapanen/Johnsson around 5m combined short-term, Marner getting roughly 10m).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Crunching some numbers, Leafs need to move Zaitsev out and replace him with like Jensen who will be a factor of the cost and play the same role. A cost to sign him for next season can't be that high either I would imagine. Assuming Gardiner walks, Brown is deal for futures it's still going to be tight (e.g. Kapanen/Johnsson around 5m combined short-term, Marner getting roughly 10m).

Jensen feels like someone that will get way over what he's worth. Not many RHDs on top of being somewhat young for a UFA will make teams want to secure him.

I'd expect between 3M and 4M, and I'm not sure's worth that.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

I think it's become apparent that Marner can't get 10. At least not on this contract.

They may have to do something like the deal Kucherov is coming off of now.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Jensen feels like someone that will get way over what he's worth. Not many RHDs on top of being somewhat young for a UFA will make teams want to secure him.

I'd expect between 3M and 4M, and I'm not sure's worth that.

You could be right. Might have to promote from within or make a trade for a cheap defender.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You could be right. Might have to promote from within or make a trade for a cheap defender.

Maybe he'd forgo some money to play top 4 minutes on a contending team... maybe. Probably not.

I do feel like we'll have to trade for a Pysyk defenseman (under 3m), or promote from within and play Holl and/or Ozhiganov. Maybe Liljegren comes out and plays incredibly well, similar to what Dermott did.

Reactions: JEI

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Marleau isn’t going anywhere.
It’s frustrating seeing people over and over hoping/assuming he’s the one dealt to alleviate our cap issues. It isn’t happening people. The guys is super close with 2 of our biggest superstars. Get a clue.
Other deals will be made to ship out salary.
The only way Marleau doesn’t retire a Leaf is if he requests a trade (which I doubt happens) or if he signs one of those day long contracts after his current contract runs out.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marleau isn’t going anywhere.
It’s frustrating seeing people over and over hoping/assuming he’s the one dealt to alleviate our cap issues. It isn’t happening people. The guys is super close with 2 of our biggest superstars. Get a clue.
Other deals will be made to ship out salary.
The only way Marleau doesn’t retire a Leaf is if he requests a trade (which I doubt happens) or if he signs one of those day long contracts after his current contract runs out.

I doubt he retires as a Leaf. When it is all said and done he will sign a 1 day contract with the Sharks and retire as a Shark. The same way Halladay did with the Jays.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I doubt he retires as a Leaf. When it is all said and done he will sign a 1 day contract with the Sharks and retire as a Shark. The same way Halladay did with the Jays.
That’s my point.

Posters keep thinking he’s the answer to our cap issues. He ain’t going anywhere.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Trading chips...

Kadri
Brown
Lindholm
Gauthier
Ennis
Zaitsev
Gardiner
Hainsey
Ozhiganov
Holl
Sparks
Engvall
Bracco
Timashov
Borgman
Marincin
Korshkov
Kral
Rasanen
Draft picks not including any more 1sts.

Reactions: kb

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Trading chips...

Kadri
Brown
Lindholm
Gauthier
Ennis
Zaitsev
Gardiner
Hainsey
Ozhiganov
Holl
Sparks
Engvall
Bracco
Timashov
Borgman
Marincin
Korshkov
Kral
Rasanen
Draft picks not including any more 1sts.

Besides our Woll and Scott, any prospect not in the AHL right now is probably available. Kapanen, Johnsson and Nylander are also trade chips.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Besides our Woll and Scott, any prospect not in the AHL right now is probably available. Kapanen, Johnsson and Nylander are also trade chips.
I concur with the comment in regards to the players in the AHL.

Kapanen, Johnsson and Nylander however, I do not.

Kapanen and Johnson have proven to be very valuable to our continued success.

Nylander, at least this season, due to his contract has priced himself ON our roster due to his incredibly high cap hit. He will most likely be dealt after July 1st when his signing bonus is paid out.

I also worry about the “promise” Dubas supposedly made to him in regards to his longevity as a Leaf.

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I concur with the comment in regards to the players in the AHL.

Kapanen, Johnsson and Nylander however, I do not.

Kapanen and Johnson have proven to be very valuable to our continued success.

Nylander, at least this season, due to his contract has priced himself ON our roster due to his incredibly high cap hit. He will most likely be dealt after July 1st when his signing bonus is paid out.

I also worry about the “promise” Dubas supposedly made to him in regards to his longevity as a Leaf.

Anybody thinking that teams wouldn't bite our arms off to get Nylander right now is way out there

That 7M cap hit is already starting to look pretty bloody good and he's looking like a dominant play making line driver again

You know, one of those things that help teams win big games

Reactions: stickty111

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Anybody thinking that teams wouldn't bite our arms off to get Nylander right now is way out there

That 7M cap hit is already starting to look pretty bloody good and he's looking like a dominant play making line driver again

You know, one of those things that help teams win big games
But this year his cap hit is over 10m. Not many teams can take that on.
Plus the whole Dubas promise....

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Nylander is moved it won’t be this season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
His cap hit like every other player in the league is the same for the duration of the contract. Nylander is at 7

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'm pretty confident Carolina would take that one right now given half a chance

Nylander is a very very good player, he doesn't need a promise to stick around, he should stay because he makes our team better

A lot better

Reactions: stickty111

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I'm pretty confident Carolina would take that one right now given half a chance

Nylander is a very very good player, he doesn't need a promise to stick around, he should stay because he makes our team better

A lot better
I don’t doubt Nylander’s ability. The truth is this team isn’t good enough to win the cup. The team is missing some obvious elements. Some assets will need to be dealt to fill needs.

Nylander is a luxury we can do without in my opinion if he brings in a great return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad