Speculation: Maple Leafs To Add Kelly McCrimmon to Front Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbryant2k11

Jul 13, 2011
Brandon, MB
---

Can't see McCrimmon leaving his own team where he's the owner/GM/coach for the Leafs middle management. I think it's just wishful speculation. What could the Leafs offer him to leave the team he owns?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What does that even mean? How was the Burke era with the Toronto Maple Leafs going brilliantly until the Toronto Maple Leafs happened? 4:30am, I think you need to go to bed RKL, your Leaf troll game is better when you've got 8 hours sleep in you

It means he was making huge strides and improving the team A LOT in such a short span until the eventual curse of mediocrity, that is the Maple Leafs, struck and they fired him for no real reason, lol. I aint trolling, when Burke was fired I was ecstatic.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Can't see McCrimmon leaving his own team where he's the owner/GM/coach for the Leafs middle management. I think it's just wishful speculation. What could the Leafs offer him to leave the team he owns?

Do you own and run a junior hockey to own and run a junior hockey team? Or do you own and run that team as a means of showing off your hockey front office talents? Do you believe that when a hockey guy buys a junior team and runs it that he has given up any NHL aspirations?

What did the Leafs offer Mark Hunter to make that same move?

What is being offered is a foot in the NHL door.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

didn't....Mark Hunter.... own/GM the Knights?

and now..
works for the Leafs?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

A job with one of the most historic and rich teams in the league? A chance to un-sink the Titanic?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It means he was making huge strides and improving the team A LOT in such a short span until the eventual curse of mediocrity, that is the Maple Leafs, struck and they fired him for no real reason, lol. I aint trolling, when Burke was fired I was ecstatic.

I would agree that there was probably no good hockey reason for Brian Burke to be fired. However, in my opinion, he was not let go for hockey reasons. Based on rumors, George Cope, head of Bell and MLSE board member, had issues with Burke's professionalism. And even without knowing how Burke conducted himself with board members and others in the organization, just look at how Burke conducted himself when dealing with the media. He pretty much declared war on the Toronto media and blamed them (at least in part) for the collapse of the Leafs the previous season. Burke had become the face of the franchise and it appears that Cope and probably others did not like that face.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So many people need to understand the difference between what Burke did and what Shanahan and co are doing.

Burke on his first day of the job said he's too old and impatient and believed he can help this team get better right away. He didn't want patience, no rebuild, he wanted a retool and an exciting star player on his team (hence Kessel trade). He said "July 1st was our draft" whereas now we're hiring the top guys from the OHL and WHL because we realize the only way to sustainable success is through the draft.

The Leafs have sucked at drafting outside of the top 5 or so picks. We need to draft more players from the WHL and the OHL.

Burke hired his best pals, Shanahan is going out and building a collective group who will make decisions. Burke wanted to run the entire show whereas under Shanahan it is a collaborative effort.

As Tannebaum said yesterday, Burke wanted to be in the driver's seat at all times, he wanted to make all the decisions himself from top to bottom. It lead to failure.

The Leafs aren't hiring any more than the other teams in the NHL are, they are just getting more publicity because it's the Leafs. Most teams in the league have just as many management people but we just don't hear about them as often.

In that sense, this isn’t a typical hire. Babcock will essentially be part development coach, part assistant GM and part bench boss in Toronto, one of a chorus of voices in a group that Shanahan referred to as “people way smarter and way better at this than me.”

If you can find that sort of humility from Brian Burke, please let me know.

Shanahan knows he's nowhere near capable of building a team on his own. Hence, he's hiring some of the brightest minds from the OHL, WHL and NHL.

He's a player turned president of the Maple Leafs. He knows he's not a scout, nor GM but he knows people who are way better than him at that.

I've never had as much confidence in Leafs management as I do today. Shanahan finally convinced those dinkheads running MLSE that gunning for the playoffs every year and failing isn't going to get this team anywhere. They need to draft their own players instead of hoping that Stamkos/Tavares etc will come home like Parise/Suter.

you are also forgetting the part where Shanahan said he doesn't want people to feel 'comfortable'. or everyone agreeing with him (or anyone else). that you have to have different ideas to come to the best consensus decision for the good of the team. Not

"Hey I think we should do this!" and everyone goes
"Okay!"

(which was basically how the Leafs were run in the Burke era, it feels like).

the Leafs drafting and development were horrible. before Burke, during Burke and after Burke. Even if the Leafs don't pull it together 'managerial wise' that a lot of people are assuming/hoping for - the level of scouting, junior expertise and development that Shanahan is putting into the organization is speaking volumes.

for the first time in a very long time. the Leafs draft will be the last weekend in June like the rest of the NHL. not July 1st. more Leaf Fans are excited for that than they are regarding July 1st. (i would actually hope the Leafs start turning their phones off the first week of UFA hunting, and turn it back on the 2nd - because we generally do better with the later signees than the big "marquee" names.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Have you been paying attention to this week's events? Check my avatar for clarification.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
This guy could take over hunters duties and hunter could become the GM. Would work. So many people respect mark hunter.

LaCarriere

Gotta love these prognosticaters. The Leafs are quite obviously doing things correctly this time. They are using their money and clout to build a powerhouse franchise that not many else in the league could replicate. You can keep telling yourself that passed mistakes (made by completely different people) will have some bearing on the future to make yourself feel better but it isnt reality.

The Burke era was never going brilliantly. It started with a terrible Kessel trade and never recovered. He was also more of a one man show whereas they are building a whole management team this time.

powerhouse franchise? I didn't realize the games were played by front office personnel.

It's crazy, it must be a fluke that teams like the Hawks, Kings, Ducks, Bruins, Rangers, Canadiens, etc are perennial contenders without having a dozen overpayed and overhyped/valued people who don't actually play the game.

This whole management by massive committee experiment is going to be a trainwreck.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
AMAZING news! The rest of the league is hating how well the management team I toronto is coming together. This looks very familiar to chicago's situation just before they won the cup. There isnt a management or coaching staff in the league as well put together as this leafs team

I get Leafs fans getting upset that people are negative. I think these hires have been good. They are far from certain to pan out and I don't think you have successful franchises with consistent models and leaderships running for the hills. That last claim is more than likely incorrect, we will find out, but it certainly cannot be stated as a fact. There are at least a handful of teams that wouldn't trade in their management and coaching for the experiment the Leafs are running.

Happy for McCrimmon, his late brother was very close with Babcock, I bet they are excited to be working together.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
powerhouse franchise? I didn't realize the games were played by front office personnel.

It's crazy, it must be a fluke that teams like the Hawks, Kings, Ducks, Bruins, Rangers, Canadiens, etc are perennial contenders without having a dozen overpayed and overhyped/valued people who don't actually play the game.

This whole management by massive committee experiment is going to be a trainwreck.
How did that manage to slip in there?

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario

Every team has a management team. Your just hearing about the leafs.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
AMAZING news! The rest of the league is hating how well the management team I toronto is coming together. This looks very familiar to chicago's situation just before they won the cup. There isnt a management or coaching staff in the league as well put together as this leafs team

Say what? :laugh:

LaCarriere

How did that manage to slip in there?

Oh I don't know, maybe going to the conference finals 2 times since 2010, numerous trips to the 2nd round, making the playoffs every year but 2 since 2001-2002? Toronto fans could only dream of being that successful.

Feel free to replace them with the lightning though if you want.

My point stands, how do all these other teams manage perennial success without a dozen or so high profile executives?

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
Oh I don't know, maybe going to the conference finals 2 times since 2010, numerous trips to the 2nd round, making the playoffs every year but 2 since 2001-2002? Toronto fans could only dream of being that successful.

Feel free to replace them with the lightning though if you want.

My point stands, how do all these other teams manage perennial success without a dozen or so high profile executives?

Hows Carey Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad