Speculation: Maple Leafs To Add Kelly McCrimmon to Front Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanuckBeSerious

Legendary Frog
Nov 1, 2011
Montréal
LOL LOL. "Mid level". That's why nobody takes your posts seriously. Have you not been paying attention to hockey for the past decade?? McCrimmon is one of the greatest young hockey minds in the world. 30/30 teams would take him over the no name guy the Bruins just hired as gm

You mean the guy who played over 1100 games in the NHL and has been part of one of the best management team in the league for a while?

And btw, McCrimmon is 54 while Sweeney is 48.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
LOL LOL. "Mid level". That's why nobody takes your posts seriously. Have you not been paying attention to hockey for the past decade?? McCrimmon is one of the greatest young hockey minds in the world. 30/30 teams would take him over the no name guy the Bruins just hired as gm
Anyone else get the feeling this guy had no idea who McCrimmon was until just a few days ago?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Exactly, and now with Babs as the head coach he will attract high end players to T.O that want to play for him.

Get ready to be disappointed Leafs haters! :handclap:

"How many Ontario boys play in the NHL? They're coming home, mark my words they'll be comin"

-Mike Babcock, May 21st, 2015. :handclap: :yo: :nod:

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
You mean the guy who played over 1100 games in the NHL and has been part of one of the best management team in the league for a while?

And btw, McCrimmon is 54 while Sweeney is 48.

Wayne Gretzky is the best player of all time. Must mean he would make the best coach of all time too then, according to your logic. Just get over the fact that the leafs future is amazing and the Bruins future is in shambles

CanuckBeSerious

Legendary Frog
Nov 1, 2011
Montréal
Wayne Gretzky is the best player of all time. Must mean he would make the best coach of all time too then, according to your logic. Just get over the fact that the leafs future is amazing and the Bruins future is in shambles

What logic? You said he was a no-name, I said he wasn't... there's nothing here about his managerial qualities.

Why can't both be good?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Can't see McCrimmon leaving his own team where he's the owner/GM/coach for the Leafs middle management. I think it's just wishful speculation. What could the Leafs offer him to leave the team he owns?

It's like having your own small and successful consulting firm but one day Google comes along and makes you a killer offer. Sure you reset your seniority a little bit but you get called up to the big leagues.

Anyway I don't know why MLSE doesn't just buy the entire CHL and call dibs on anyone working there with even half a brain

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Well it will be the scrubs because we couldn't get any free agents in Detroit because nobody wants to play for him.

That's why Filppula and Hudler bolted. Perhaps Hossa, too.

Out of sincere curiosity, what's the living conditions like in Detroit?

Detroit has some of the best places to live in the United States. Places such as Novi, Royal Oak, Farmington Hills, Canton are beautiful and pleasant places to live. I believe most hockey players own homes in Novi, as does Stevie Yzerman even though he's the GM of the Lightning. I believe he enjoys Michigan; it's his home. Also retired hockey players find their way to Michigan and make it their home.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
I would be a little leery of this management by committee. What happens if Hunter wants Strome, Dubas wants Hannifan and Mccrimmon wants Marner? Shanny makes the decision? What if there is a huge disagreement with the value of Phil Kessel in a trade? Management by committee always sounds good, but anybody who has worked in that environment will tell you it can lead to paralysis. I agree they could have hired Babcock without the GM, but will any experienced GM want to come into a position where he has 5 or 6 guys already in place as Assistants? I think Hunter might be their only option now.

LaCarriere

I would be a little leery of this management by committee. What happens if Hunter wants Strome, Dubas wants Hannifan and Mccrimmon wants Marner? Shanny makes the decision? What if there is a huge disagreement with the value of Phil Kessel in a trade? Management by committee always sounds good, but anybody who has worked in that environment will tell you it can lead to paralysis. I agree they could have hired Babcock without the GM, but will any experienced GM want to come into a position where he has 5 or 6 guys already in place as Assistants? I think Hunter might be their only option now.

Exactly. The other thing I think about is having a coach locked up for so long to big money. What if 4-5 years from now the GM doesn't like the way things are going with Babcock? He probably doesn't have the authority to get rid of him, that would need to come from Shanahan.

As Shanahan gets more experience it sounds like he's going to be the de-facto GM anyways. He's already making moves like hiring a coach to an unprecedented contract without the team having a GM. It will probably be more like up until recently how Sherman was the-defact GM in Colorado by name only while Sakic/Roy were really making the decisions.

I have to question why any established GMs would want the job when it appears they will have 4-5 other people who have their own ideas about who to draft, the value of player X in a trade, etc, and won't have full control or final say.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Exactly. The other thing I think about is having a coach locked up for so long to big money. What if 4-5 years from now the GM doesn't like the way things are going with Babcock? He probably doesn't have the authority to get rid of him, that would need to come from Shanahan.

As Shanahan gets more experience it sounds like he's going to be the de-facto GM anyways. He's already making moves like hiring a coach to an unprecedented contract without the team having a GM. It will probably be more like up until recently how Sherman was the-defact GM in Colorado by name only while Sakic/Roy were really making the decisions.

I have to question why any established GMs would want the job when it appears they will have 4-5 other people who have their own ideas about who to draft, the value of player X in a trade, etc, and won't have full control or final say.

What team doesn't have 4 or 5 people who have their own ideas on who to draft or trade? It's why teams have amateur and pro scouts. I doubt there's a GM out there who doesn't defer to his head of scouting when it comes to the draft.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
Out of sincere curiosity, what's the living conditions like in Detroit?

You have subdivisions of pure luxury right next to some places with houses that have a minimum of three large holes in the roof. That being said, the players are rarely living inside the downtown of Toronto and are usually living in much nicer areas. Unless a city is actively rioting 24/7 outside the arena, the quality of the city is unlikely to negatively affect a team unless you are talking about weather or pure location (really northern places like Edmonton) or players who prefer to live on a specific coast.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

This "management by committee " thing is so overblown. Shanahan has the final say. The leafs structure really isn't any different from any other team in the league (every GM has assistants) except the job titles are different.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan

Listen buddy, you just got schooled, back out now while you still have some sense of pride. By the way, the Bruins future is hardly a shambles, first time they have missed the playoffs in 8 years and the leafs have made the playoffs once in 8 years. Go back and study a bit, it will only help you.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Listen buddy, you just got schooled, back out now while you still have some sense of pride. By the way, the Bruins future is hardly a shambles, first time they have missed the playoffs in 8 years and the leafs have made the playoffs once in 8 years. Go back and study a bit, it will only help you.

LOL. "Schooled". Speaking of schooled. Name the young Bruins players better than the leafs have. 4th overall, Reilly, Nylander, JVR, kadri, gardiner, Percy, huge returns from both Kessel and Dion.

Tell me the Bruins future is better. I'll wait for the laughs

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think the Leafs are just trolling around the hockey world and catching anyone with any kind of potential and are signing them so when other teams comes knocking for them, the Leafs will get a 3rd as compensation.

We want ALL the thirdz!

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
LOL. "Schooled". Speaking of schooled. Name the young Bruins players better than the leafs have. 4th overall, Reilly, Nylander, JVR, kadri, gardiner, Percy, huge returns from both Kessel and Dion.

Tell me the Bruins future is better. I'll wait for the laughs

The Bruins future is probably better based on the past and how the franchise handles things. Toronto hasn't been to the finals in 47 years. It takes a lot of nerve to trash talk a fan of the team who has the won the cup recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad