TSN: Sparks - All I’ve wanted is a fair opportunity

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
“All I’ve wanted is a fair opportunity, come camp, to try and make the team and I think that I’ll get a better opportunity [in Vegas] than I would have in Toronto."

I dont know why so many are saying he's complaining about not getting an opportunity in the past. he's not saying that. when you read the quote properly he's saying this fall he just wants a fair opportunity to try and make the team, and feels he will get that in Vegas and without a doubt it's probably true.

how is this true? flower and subban are their guys. Subban played more NHL games than sparks + hutch

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
such overreactions from everyone. He obviously has hurt feelings, I agree he should just be quiet but as I said he just got traded off a team for David Clarkson, he knows he is the joke of the city so I guess this is his way of sticking up for himself in his mind

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

What an a$$ho!e, he wants a fair opportunity? The fair opportunity he wanted was the 2018-19 season, he blew it.

What he really wants is an unfair opportunity for the other back ups because apparently he thinks he is entitled to his version of fair which of course would give him a more fair opportunity because he thinks one year of horrid goaltending means he deserves a fair chance. If you want teams to think you are a legit back up play like a legit back up.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He got outplayed by Picard and McBackup last preseason yet got the job and his playstyle doesn't seem to inspire consistency. Don't know why he's acting like he never got a chance.

His play style is exactly what I've been saying for a year now, he plays like an OHL goalie, he plays small in his net. He gravitates towards taking away the bottom of the net, which in the OHL that works because most players don't have the ability to constantly snipe 2 to 3 feet off the ice. Until he figures out to play bigger, he will be at best an AHLer.

I didn't care for his style of play, now with those entitled comments, I'm not liking the person much.

horner

May 22, 2007
Feels like I read a different quote than everybody else. He's just saying that he might have a better chance in Vegas than in Toronto, which is true. He was done here, and we all know it. He didn't in any way say that he wasn't given a shot before that.
He still doesn't get it if that is the case
Fleury is #1
Subban is #2
Dansk #3
They have better goaltending than we do .

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I agree with him to an extent.

It’s hard to break into the league as a young backup goalie, most especially on a team like the leafs who are obviously in “win now” mode. Teams in “win now” mode need something more reliable and secure than a young rookie backup.

Vegas is probably a better opportunity. But what he really needs is a team like Ottawa.

You could argue with Vegas is further along that journey than the Leafs. Making the cup finals and if it wasn't for a ref's terrible call they would have been into the 2nd round. Vegas is also in the win now mode.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Pickard and McBackup wanted a "fair" opportunity and didn't get it because you were given a gift that you squandered in spectacular fashion. Maybe instead of crying all the time you should oh, I don't know....stop a puck.

Reactions: Bluelines and Al14

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Feels like I read a different quote than everybody else. He's just saying that he might have a better chance in Vegas than in Toronto, which is true. He was done here, and we all know it. He didn't in any way say that he wasn't given a shot before that.
There's a difference between wanting a fair opportunity and thinking his competition is lighter on a different team. It reads like he doesn't think he'll be able to win a spot based on merit here

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
It's like he thinks everyone else was the problem but him. Bad look.

Did you read the part of the interview where he blames the concussion? He said it was hard to rebuild his game after that. What game are you rebuilding kind sir? The guy ALWAYS blames some other person/circumstance for his play. He could never just say that he wasn't good enough. Imagine playing in front of a tool like that. Giving him 4-5 goals of support almost every game and he still managed to pull defeat from the jaws of victory. I can't stand him...I hate his attitude and I really hope he gets in net against us. AM will tear him a new one.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I don't hate Sparks, but I never thought he did anything to earn the backup role, and he was my 3rd choice for it.

Having said that, I think he should shut his mouth, thank the organization and city, and be on his way.

Come in peace, and go in peace.

My honest opinion is he will be out of the NHL before the end of the next season.

He is not an NHL calibre goalie.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
There's a difference between wanting a fair opportunity and thinking his competition is lighter on a different team. It reads like he doesn't think he'll be able to win a spot based on merit here

He didn't think he had a chance to win the job against.....Hutch? really? Jeez Loueez this guys a tool. Now he throws shade at Subban before he even goes to camp....what a fricken TOOL!!

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That's not how I read it. I read it as: "My chance with the Leafs was beyond repair, but with Vegas I'll get a chance to compete for a spot."

Reactions: meng666 and biotk

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
.. He's had two fair opportunities .. Early on in his career when he showed he wasn't ready and really lead the charge on the tank for Matthews..

And last year, after working hard in the AHL, getting the chance to back up after a full season. He had a fairly long leash in this area.

I have no idea what he's complaining about - did he really think the Leafs, as a contending team with a solid starting goaltender, would give Sparks more starts when he clearly didn't earn them with his play

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Thanks for helping the Marlies win a championship Sparks. Now, shut up and move along.

You were gifted an opportunity with our Leafs and you shit the bed! We lost a much better backup in McElhinney to boot!

Reactions: DirkStraun

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
That's not how I read it. I read it as: "My chance with the Leafs was beyond repair, but with Vegas I'll get a chance to compete for a spot."
That still sounds like he thinks management will not evaluate him fairly, rather than his competition in Vegas is easier. That still wouldn't be a great thing to say

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Sparky Sparks should be grateful for rest of his life. First Dubler Dubas did give him the backup job and then Dubler also re-sign him. I'm willing to bet that today he wouldn't get a one-way deal. The Bum made 1.45 mil.

In three years he will join to Sportsnet and yell with the prime time host Steve Dangle.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That still sounds like he thinks management will not evaluate him fairly, rather than his competition in Vegas is easier. That still wouldn't be a great thing to say

Exactly. No matter what spin you want to put on it, it’s still not something you should be saying.

You’re a backup goalie.

Want to know what teams look for in their backup goalie? A guy that comes to the rink first, leaves last, & does their job.

Not a guy who runs their mouth after every start they make, bashing the team, and then when they get traded, runs their mouth.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Exactly. No matter what spin you want to put on it, it’s still not something you should be saying.

You’re a backup goalie.

Want to know what teams look for in their backup goalie? A guy that comes to the rink first, leaves last, & does their job.

Not a guy who runs their mouth after every start they make, bashing the team, and then when they get traded, runs their mouth.

hey..... but....

#EMOTION

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
He might as well talk now. By the end of training camp he's going to be in the AHL and everyone will forget about him. This summer after being traded from the Leafs is the last time people will remember that Sparks exists. I don't see him able to take the backup spot there. No one is going to be bending over to hand him a backup spot like he was given this past season.

It is just unfortunate. Whatever potential he has is wasted by his personality and mindset. He has less opportunity there since Vegas likes to lean on Fleury about as much if not more than Babcock does with Andersen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad