TSN: Sparks - All I’ve wanted is a fair opportunity

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Well Sparks, you got an opportunity in front of you to prove the nay-sayers wrong.

Don't cry if you fail again though.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Fair. We've all gone off once or twice. But he just seems to be an over emotional spaz. He needs some ritalin or something to take it down a notch.
Sorry i just dont agree. He seemed like a genuine nice guy to me.

Not "getting his opportunity" is a terrible take. But pro athletes are competitive people. I can see him thinking he desparately wants in the net, but being stuck behind andersen. Ita not in their nature to think they cant do it, and its not in his nature to think its simply because andersen is a starter and hes not.

It doesnt matter now though. He will backup vegas and potentially end up in the AHL in a year. Maybe he figures put hes gotta step up his game? And it works out for him? Dont know. Not worth my time thinking Bout it either.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Well Sparks, you got an opportunity in front of you to prove the nay-sayers wrong.

Don't cry if you fail again though.
Yep. No ones dault but your own and you cant claim elsewise next time.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Subban played more NHL games than Hutchinson and Neuvirth combined last season, so I don't know that the opportunity will really be any better with VGK. I guess any further opportunity with the Leafs would look to have ended upon the conclusion of the regular season though.

With Fleury's injury history, I could see him getting some time in the net in VGK, but his opportunity won't be in the NHL to start baring said injury to either Fleury or Subban

Reactions: Buds17

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Sorry i just dont agree. He seemed like a genuine nice guy to me.

Not "getting his opportunity" is a terrible take. But pro athletes are competitive people. I can see him thinking he desparately wants in the net, but being stuck behind andersen. Ita not in their nature to think they cant do it, and its not in his nature to think its simply because andersen is a starter and hes not.

It doesnt matter now though. He will backup vegas and potentially end up in the AHL in a year. Maybe he figures put hes gotta step up his game? And it works out for him? Dont know. Not worth my time thinking Bout it either.
Didn't he have that Facebook incident a few years ago?

This guy has called out his teammates while playing horribly himself. He doesn't seem like a good guy to me at all.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I guess he felt he wasn't going to be given a fair shake at the backup job in Toronto this year. They probably told him as much. That's too bad, but at least we got something decent out of him and we have Neuvirth. We also have too many goalies (if we sign Neuvirth, which besides his health is a certainty) so we needed to move a couple out. Sparks was one, Kaskisuo likely the other.

Let's just hope Neuvirth turns out, because Sparks was our 2nd best option.

Reactions: meng666

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

Here you go guys, enjoy your Friday night. A twitter thread of the best of Garret Sparks' legacy in Toronto. I hope it doesn't make you too angry.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I agree with him to an extent.

It’s hard to break into the league as a young backup goalie, most especially on a team like the leafs who are obviously in “win now” mode. Teams in “win now” mode need something more reliable and secure than a young rookie backup.

Vegas is probably a better opportunity. But what he really needs is a team like Ottawa.

He’s gonna be Vegas’ fourth string goalie lmao

They only took him to get rid of Clarkson

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
With Fleury's injury history, I could see him getting some time in the net in VGK, but his opportunity won't be in the NHL to start baring said injury to either Fleury or Subban

Sounds fair. Far fewer goalie spots in comparison to forwards and defencemen, but openings are also then much easier created when injuries do occur. He is on a decent enough contract as well to potentially catch on somewhere else if not there.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
He got outplayed by Picard and McBackup last preseason yet got the job and his playstyle doesn't seem to inspire consistency. Don't know why he's acting like he never got a chance.

He's ducking it like the way he likes to duck the puck on a high shot...:sarcasm:

Reactions: CincoHolio

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
never liked his game ... meh

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad